Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
J.T was on the plane to Vancouver refering to Dan Girardi interview. :)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Now that I've had the time to cool off a bit I have to say, what a rollercoaster of emotions it was. First it was the anxiety of the whole day day to hear some news about who we were getting, then the desperation to hear SOMETHING as the deadline drew closer, then the disbelief and excitement of hearing we actually got a top guy, then the horror of finding out we also got Miller and thinking we did something boneheaded and traded away a guy like Point and finally the absolute elation to hear we got all that without giving up any of our core pieces. That was a crazy 30 minutes to say the least :laugh:
Man when I heard we got Miller and mcdonagh I was like oh man we gave up one of sergachev or point for sure I was scared!

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jtm is a frustrating player. you guys will soon see a guy with some talent for sure but the tool box sometimes seems empty. an underrated passer for sure, and a guy who possesses some offensive skill, but he's hot and cold with his noggin. makes some seriously dumb wtf plays and then can dazzle. he's got alot of talent but too much so-so "hockey iq" and i hate that phrase. emotional guy but oddly rarely even celebrates when he scores a goal.

mcd27 is a horse. he's a defensive shut down guy for sure and has played a shit ton of minutes. he's a matchup top pair guy but for the love of all that is holy, keep him far far far away from your pp. he's brutal. period. offensively, his hands are more lobster claws and his shot is lots of high and wide.

i wish them both well and please, win the cup this year.... :naughty:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Something to keep in mind:

Miller has 54.3 FO% (606 faceoffs taken). He even has 63.1 FO% on the PK, 51.2 FO% on the PP.
Names has 47.3 FO% (480 faceoffs taken), 42.9 FO% on the PK, 49.5 FO% on the PP.

We desperately needed help on faceoffs and some more physicality and got both in Miller with about equal or slightly better offensive abilities.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
We get players that can come in and help this team now, for me that can never be underestimated. It's nice to have picks and prospects and both Howden and Hajek has upside and you never know what could come out of a first round pick but people always tend to overvalue picks and prospects, they are a gamble, even better prospects and picks more than so.

Great move and I rather see us try than sit idle and not give it a go.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
jtm is a frustrating player. you guys will soon see a guy with some talent for sure but the tool box sometimes seems empty. an underrated passer for sure, and a guy who possesses some offensive skill, but he's hot and cold with his noggin. makes some seriously dumb wtf plays and then can dazzle. he's got alot of talent but too much so-so "hockey iq" and i hate that phrase. emotional guy but oddly rarely even celebrates when he scores a goal.

mcd27 is a horse. he's a defensive shut down guy for sure and has played a **** ton of minutes. he's a matchup top pair guy but for the love of all that is holy, keep him far far far away from your pp. he's brutal. period. offensively, his hands are more lobster claws and his shot is lots of high and wide.

i wish them both well and please, win the cup this year.... :naughty:
McDonagh won't play PP. Our top option there is Hedman who plays PP1, the Sergachev plays PP2. When Hedman was injured Stralman played PP2 which also is not a thing that should happen, but usually we stick to the 2 big puck-moving lefties.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
McDonagh won't play PP. Our top option there is Hedman who plays PP1, the Sergachev plays PP2. When Hedman was injured Stralman played PP2 which also is not a thing that should happen, but usually we stick to the 2 big puck-moving lefties.
Just a great trade! We added the best available defensive defenseman without giving up Pointe, Gourde or Sergachev from NHL roster. And we kept our top 2 junior prospects in Foote and Raddysh. First round picks are valuable but if you draft below pick #20 (you probably get same type of player in the second round). And the Bolts have done very well picking in second and third rounds! In reality, the unexpected development of players like Pointe/Gourde made some of our other prospects expendable.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Just a great trade! We added the best available defensive defenseman without giving up Pointe, Gourde or Sergachev from NHL roster. And we kept our top 2 junior prospects in Foote and Raddysh. First round picks are valuable but if you draft below pick #20 (you probably get same type of player in the second round). And the Bolts have done very well picking in second and third rounds! In reality, the unexpected development of players like Pointe/Gourde made some of our other prospects expendable.

Point and Gourde have become such important pieces to this team, arguably our two best two-way forwards, the speed these two have as well. Hoping production keeps up in the coming years

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Raddysh isn't our 2nd best prospect. Even after the trade.

Foote
Katchouk
Raddysh
Stephens
Cernak

Katchouk has much better all around tools than Raddysh not to mention his skating is much better. Raddysh has great offensive IQ that if he gets his skating up could be a really good top 6 forward but right now Katchouk is the safer bet. Stephens has rocketed up the rankings, thought he was gonna be a wing but has looked great at center and plays such a good style game that he's a shoe in for a good long career. If Stephens can play like he has in the AHL in the NHL there isn't much loss in Howden. Howden is bigger, stronger and plays a bit heavier game with better vision but Stephens can be a good 3C. Hajek is really good but with Hedman and Sergachev will be hard to crack the top 4 and Masin or Sosunov are more than fine in a 3rd pair capacity.

With guys like Sommpi having a good year, Sosunov pleasantly surprising we good move out some prospects. All the Crunch kids have looked really good too. The really only poor seasons are Lipanov and Spencer to an extent, not sure why we aren't getting him more ECHL time. The pool took a hit losing two top 10 guys but we are still pretty strong.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Raddysh isn't our 2nd best prospect. Even after the trade.

Foote
Katchouk
Raddysh
Stephens
Cernak

Katchouk has much better all around tools than Raddysh not to mention his skating is much better. Raddysh has great offensive IQ that if he gets his skating up could be a really good top 6 forward but right now Katchouk is the safer bet. Stephens has rocketed up the rankings, thought he was gonna be a wing but has looked great at center and plays such a good style game that he's a shoe in for a good long career. If Stephens can play like he has in the AHL in the NHL there isn't much loss in Howden. Howden is bigger, stronger and plays a bit heavier game with better vision but Stephens can be a good 3C. Hajek is really good but with Hedman and Sergachev will be hard to crack the top 4 and Masin or Sosunov are more than fine in a 3rd pair capacity.

With guys like Sommpi having a good year, Sosunov pleasantly surprising we good move out some prospects. All the Crunch kids have looked really good too. The really only poor seasons are Lipanov and Spencer to an extent, not sure why we aren't getting him more ECHL time. The pool took a hit losing two top 10 guys but we are still pretty strong.
You are in the process of proving me wrong on Stephens, lol. He's scoring a lot in Cuse.

Also low-key Alex Volkov is near those guys. Shoutout to Cirelli and Joseph too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You are in the process of proving me wrong on Stephens, lol. He's scoring a lot in Cuse.

Also low-key Alex Volkov is near those guys. Shoutout to Cirelli and Joseph too.

I only listed my top 5, those 3 are in the next 5. Volkov has looked great, didn't think his scoring would come along as quickly as it has this year. He's still not a top 10 pick so don't go on the redraft board trying to pump him up there.

Stephens seems finally healthy too, seemed like a kid who got a knock here or there and slowed him down each season. Getting out of Saginaw really helped his offense, he was great in the playoffs for London and has carried that to Syracuse. Not a top 6 guy but should be a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point strong 3C.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I only listed my top 5, those 3 are in the next 5. Volkov has looked great, didn't think his scoring would come along as quickly as it has this year. He's still not a top 10 pick so don't go on the redraft board trying to pump him up there.

Stephens seems finally healthy too, seemed like a kid who got a knock here or there and slowed him down each season. Getting out of Saginaw really helped his offense, he was great in the playoffs for London and has carried that to Syracuse. Not a top 6 guy but should be a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point strong 3C.
Lol of course Volkov isn't top 10 pick. At best he sneaks into the 1st round.

And I agree on Stephens, he is showing some offensive upside I didn't think was there.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Screen_Shot_2018_02_27_at_12.56.04_AM.png

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
You guys will love McD. He's a beast and with relieved responsibility and hopefully a steady partner that he doesn't need to fully carry, he will completely shutdown the ice. With the D option there, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't thrive and look more like his former self.

Miller is a bit different. When he's on he looks great but he's very inconsistent. But in the role he will play on TB, I don't see him disappointing either due to the depth on the team.

Since the main boards and Ranger board isn't the best place to get info for obvious reason on Howden and Hajek, what can be expected from them? Compatibles and ceiling/floor?

Reactions: DaBolts

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You guys will love McD. He's a beast and with relieved responsibility and hopefully a steady partner that he doesn't need to fully carry, he will completely shutdown the ice. With the D option there, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't thrive and look more like his former self.

Miller is a bit different. When he's on he looks great but he's very inconsistent. But in the role he will play on TB, I don't see him disappointing either due to the depth on the team.

Since the main boards and Ranger board isn't the best place to get info for obvious reason on Howden and Hajek, what can be expected from them? Compatibles and ceiling/floor?
@Werewolf and @HoseEmDown are probably the authorities on our prospect pool around here, but boltprospects.com still has their prospect pages at Brett Howden | Bolt Prospects and Libor Hajek | Bolt Prospects

Reactions: qwertyaas

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
So can we call this the MSL curse?

Take our captain in dramatic fashion, and we take all your players (including two captains).

Callahan, Boyle, Stralman, Girardi, McDonagh, Miller

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

Not high on Howden as many are. He is a big body, with some decent hands, and because of it I think he scores quite a bit in juniors in around the net. But I don't see him as this big net front presence nor a big physical center. His biggest asset is probably his passing in and around the net. For someone his size would have wanted a bit better physical presence on the boards, around the net, more willing to get his nose dirty, etc. He is going to need to work on his first step and acceleration. He'll also need to work on his shot - both the slapper and the wrister. He is a reliable 2-way Center ... I'd put his ceiling as an average 3C and his floor as an average 4C. He has the tools and smarts to be a NHL player ... high floor / low ceiling type of player at the Center position. But there are some that have him as a high end 2C. Nobody has him as a 1C. I think he would better serve as a middle 6 left winger ... he doesn't have the speed nor hands to be a scoring line center and carry the puck through the neutral zone and gain controlled entries into the offensive zone. In the NHL I see him more of a dump and chase type of Center. A complimentary winger role would suit him well along with a fast play-making Center.

On the other hand ... I'm really high on Hajek. I think he reaches his 2nd pairing potential. I think his ceiling is as a #3 and his floor is a #6. I think he has fantastic athleticism and skating not just for a kid his size. I watched him at the rookie camps and he is just a confident, puck carrying, smart defenseman. He does need to get stronger both on his skates and on the puck ... but he has a large frame and thick legs that will serve him well as he matures. He doesn't shy from physical contact, will clear the crease, has hard accurate passes out of the D-zone; all the stuff you need he does well. I think Yzerman got a steal on him and jumped at the chance to trade DeAngelo for a chance to draft this kid. What will keep him from reaching his ceiling ... I think is how fast he can gain man strength and how he adjusts to the system he is in. I think Hajek is a severely underrated kid. Lack of scoring in juniors has him pegged as a defensive defenseman ... he is not that. He is a solid 2-way defenseman with good offensive instincts. Nobody will notice him until he reaches NYR big boy squad and he doesn't make mistakes and just plays solidly in all three zones.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not high on Howden as many are. He is a big body, with some decent hands, and because of it I think he scores quite a bit in juniors in around the net. But I don't see him as this big net front presence nor a big physical center. His biggest asset is probably his passing in and around the net. For someone his size would have wanted a bit better physical presence on the boards, around the net, more willing to get his nose dirty, etc. He is going to need to work on his first step and acceleration. He'll also need to work on his shot - both the slapper and the wrister. He is a reliable 2-way Center ... I'd put his ceiling as an average 3C and his floor as an average 4C. He has the tools and smarts to be a NHL player ... high floor / low ceiling type of player at the Center position. But there are some that have him as a high end 2C. Nobody has him as a 1C. I think he would better serve as a middle 6 left winger ... he doesn't have the speed nor hands to be a scoring line center and carry the puck through the neutral zone and gain controlled entries into the offensive zone. In the NHL I see him more of a dump and chase type of Center. A complimentary winger role would suit him well along with a fast play-making Center.

On the other hand ... I'm really high on Hajek. I think he reaches his 2nd pairing potential. I think his ceiling is as a #3 and his floor is a #6. I think he has fantastic athleticism and skating not just for a kid his size. I watched him at the rookie camps and he is just a confident, puck carrying, smart defenseman. He does need to get stronger both on his skates and on the puck ... but he has a large frame and thick legs that will serve him well as he matures. He doesn't shy from physical contact, will clear the crease, has hard accurate passes out of the D-zone; all the stuff you need he does well. I think Yzerman got a steal on him and jumped at the chance to trade DeAngelo for a chance to draft this kid. What will keep him from reaching his ceiling ... I think is how fast he can gain man strength and how he adjusts to the system he is in. I think Hajek is a severely underrated kid. Lack of scoring in juniors has him pegged as a defensive defenseman ... he is not that. He is a solid 2-way defenseman with good offensive instincts. Nobody will notice him until he reaches NYR big boy squad and he doesn't make mistakes and just plays solidly in all three zones.

I disagree on Howden. You don't need to be a physical presence just because you're big. He uses his size well in shielding the puck, getting himself open and getting into dangerous areas. I rather him use his size that way then bulldoze people and play a grinding style of play. He's had a couple of upper body injuries in junior, that style won't lead to a long career. I see him as a good 2C or elite 3C. I think he can be a Jordan Staal who can score 20 but doesn't really put up more than 50 or so points. Or maybe a more physical better defensive Zajac with a little less offense.

Hajek I agree with, see him topping out as a 3 but should at least be good enough to be a bottom pair guy if he doesn't hit his potential. With Hedman and Sergachev he would have a hard time getting to that point so giving him a chance somewhere else is a good thing. We have Masin who can be a 3rd pair guy just fine.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad