Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm really happy with this one, great work by Yzerman.

Miller could replace Namestnikov and we kept Point, Gourde, Foote etc, it will cost to get good players but I like this move a lot :D

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Reporter: "With the addition of Ryan McDonagh, that adds another left handed defenseman. What is the future of Slater Koekkoek on this team?

Yzerman: "Who?"

I went into more detail on the other thread but I actually think this spells the end of Dotchin. He obviously doesn’t belong in the top four, but who do we put opposite him on the bottom pairing? McDonagh would be a waste and Sergachev would be pretty scary defensively. There’s just not a set of pairings you can put together with Dotchin in them that really makes sense for us.

On the other hand if you move either McD or (more likely) Serg to the right then you balance the pairings, knock Dotchin out of the lineup, and open up a spot on the left for either Koekkoek or Coburn. With McD available to play the penalty kill there’s no reason why Koekkoek can’t replace Coburn on the bottom pairing next season, allowing us to either trade Coburn or use him as our 7D. Coburn makes more sense there than Dotchin because he can play both sides and on the PK, and because Dotchin isn’t going to get any better serving popcorn so we might as well move him at that point.

And if we trade for a defenseman at the draft or if one of our young guys earns a spot out of camp then Dotchin is still without a home (and so would be either Koekkoek or Coburn.)

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
So glad Stevie Y heard my prayers to Get McD or JJohnson to help out this defence corps, I v followed Rangers last 7/8 years this guy is a work horse, Great skater, plays position very well, ps Miller is one of my favourite forwards with Rangers, I think Bolt Fans will be very happy with both new players!! Let's go Bolts!!

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I like McD because as posted above, it means Dotchin is gone. Maybe Koekkek can stick now and we can have a D-man at #7/8 that can actually skate for God's sake. What nobody told the NYR fans yet that if we win the you know what and the conditional pick becomes a #1, that's sort of like a 2nd round pick. Enjoy.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
McD is gonna be a warrior for you guys, you'll love him. Management clearly didn't think he had a future in NY otherwise Gorton would have held onto him until the draft. Miller is a player that will dominate a game one night and disappear the next. He takes a fair amount of bad penalties and mindless giveaways, but he oozes talent. Definitely a winger and not a center. I was hoping that Gorton would at least return Foote, but our scouts seem to be very high on Hajek and Howden looks pretty promising.

Go win a cup

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We can keep 9 D you know. It's not ideal but we will most likely go 11/7 from now on. Sit Dotchin, Koekkoek and Conacher. When Palat comes back you send down Erne who doesn't need waivers. When the regular season ends you can call up Erne if we need a forward. Koekkoek, Dotchin or Sustr will be claimed if waived. Koekkoek and Dotchin can still be moved in the off-season for something as they are either under contract, Dotchin, or an RFA, Koekkoek. Sustr is playing more than both and has more experience, we can also rest Girardi or Coburn down the stretch if possible. Keep Sustr and let him walk, no need to waive him now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We can also still make trades. We can trade Dotchin or Koekkoek now to a team that isn't making the playoffs and wants to get a good look at each at the end of the year. We can get back a pick, just won't be anything special 4th at most.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Ranger fan here. Congrats, Bolts! I think you improved yourselves with the addition of McD and JTM. I hope McD can stay healthy for your run to the Cup! Pulling for you so the 2nd pick turns to 1st round gold! Yeah Miller is a nice utility guy....he'll look sensational for a bit, then disappear for a long while. Then again, our coach is a moron, so maybe JT will come alive under better tutelage. Go Bolts!

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Hate losing Howden but I guess it was Howden or Foote and they weren't moving Foote. I really like this draft so hopefully they can recoup some picks in the Summer.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Another Rangers fan, and Rangers South fan (see what I did there?), coming in peace.

My .02

Win/Win

Bolts get a young-ish seasoned playoff vet that'll give you 25+ minutes a night when you need it. And, honestly, as woeful as Girardi's corsi numbers were with the Rangers (markedly better with TB), these pair up as a great matchup pair vs. other team's top lines. McD hasn't played like a 1/2 this year, more like a 3/4, but he's been battling nagging crap all year. Great skater, great defender, some offensive upside. Miller and Namestnikov are essentially a wash for different reasons. I prefer Miller slightly. And, the Rangers get a bunch of picks/prospects and that's exactly what they were looking for.

This trade definitely helps your chances. McD/Girardi (assuming they're reunited) can defend any line in the NHL as long as Girardi isn't thrown out there for 20+ minutes/night. Win the Cup so we get another 1st. ;)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We can also still make trades. We can trade Dotchin or Koekkoek now to a team that isn't making the playoffs and wants to get a good look at each at the end of the year. We can get back a pick, just won't be anything special 4th at most.
Keep koekkoek ditch sustr or dotchin

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you guys slightly won the trade against us, but its not that big of a deal. We are rebuilding, anyway. You guys know about McDonagh already, #1D. Now you have two of those.

A lot don't think Miller is as good as his point totals though. He seems to have had a falling out with the coach, and potentially management, as well. He makes some extremely dumb plays, he'll try to stick-handle through everyone in his own zone, and give up the puck or shovel it up the middle in his own zone. He has a lot of hockey talent, but there are a lot of really bad, dumb plays with the puck that make a lot sour on him. And he has really bad advanced stats. I don't know if you guys care about that, but some do. I tend to think some Ranger fans were a little too critical, but some of it is warranted. Also, don't put him at center. The bad defensive plays come more at center than winger. He does some of everything though. Good size, good skater, hits, can stick-handle, good hockey IQ in the offensive zone, good passer, good wrist shot, good on face-offs, plays in all situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad