Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
McDonagh did much better after he was paired with Strålman. Girardi did play well with Coburn for a good bit of time. Sergachev did well with Strålman as his mentor/partner for the first half of the season, but also played very well during these playoffs with Coburn. Maybe a McDonagh/Sergachev pairing might work? For some reason, Cooper and Bowness don't seem to mind Sergachev playing RD as a LHS, kinda like how Coburn switches as needed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We were better when we played Girardi with Coburn. Problem was we didnt have anybody playing with Hedman. Sergachev and Stralman wasnt a bad pairing either. Maybe a McDonagh Hedman pairing would have worked.
they care so much about the righty lefty mcdonagh can play both sides so does sergachev. put stralman and hedman as a pair and make mcdonagh and sergachev the second pair then put coburn and girardi as the 3rd pair problem solved cooper.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
What's the overall opinion of Girardi?
How do think he played in post season?

That 2nd goal in g7 was all him...

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

I liked his performance. Didn't like the signing early in the year but I thought he did well. Last round went down the shitter for everyone so I can look past his mistakes but if his role is limited or down on the 3rd pair, his 2nd year shouldn't be bad either.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

In honesty, I was NOT in favor of his signing, but now I'm pretty happy with his performance. Because of his limited minutes and responsibilities, he was fine throughout the season. Even with his flaws (which every player has), he was such a HUGE step up from either Dotchin or Sustr. With managed minutes, he's fine. Just keep him away from McD. :laugh:

The first two series, he was actually good. It was only the last series vs the Caps where his game (and many others) began to fall apart. It was also that series where he was getting more TOI. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

He was bad in the caps series, sure, but who is really to fault for that? Dan, taking his marching orders, or the coaching staff controlling his minutes?

As for McD, i'm hoping he can mop up this disaster of a year for himself and come back next season. He was bad, some nights extremely bad - bad in ways that might be excusable for a guy like Girardi, but not McD.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
McD was a little disappointing, for sure. But I doubt he was entirely healthy. I think he'll look a lot better next year. He'll be fresh, he'll have a better feel for his partners strengths/weaknesses, and he'll have fully absorbed his responsibilities system-wise. Hard not to like how well he skates, but I think he's just at the age where he needs to realize that he can't rely on his skating like he used to to get out of trouble. I'm not going to hold his awful clearing attempts against him, because Hedman and everyone else were guilty of it, too.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Don't put McDonagh on the right side. Playing him there (for only a few games, mind you) is the reason you see him the way he is now & not in the top form he showed when he was playing like a top 20 dman. Both times it was tried, he got his shoulder absolutely smashed and both times he never really full recovered to what he was before. The fact that he has to turn whenever a puck is dumped when playing on the right side & opponents knowing his shoulder is already damaged - it's a recipe for failure.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Funny how a lot of people thought Washington doing nothing at the TDL made them weaker compared to teams that did. Washington didn't budge and now they're 4 wins away from a cup.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
We shoulda used Sustr and Dotchin, they coulda won us the ECF then we wouda went to the Cup Final.

We added Coburn and had a Carle and Sustr pairing that made it to the SCF, two wins away from beating the Hawks.

We added McDonagh and had a bottom pairing of Sergachev and Coburn and got beaten in the ECF where we were outscored 7-0 in games 6 and 7 after leading the series 3-2.

f*** me that hurt just typing it.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We added Coburn and had a Carle and Sustr pairing that made it to the SCF, two wins away from beating the Hawks.

We added McDonagh and had a bottom pairing of Sergachev and Coburn and got beaten in the ECF where we were outscored 7-0 in games 6 and 7 after leading the series 3-2.

**** me that hurt just typing it.

Defense was not really the primary issue, imo. There were stretches in these playoffs where they shut down the opposition and even Washington, when they got the lead. Looked fantastic, and looked like that D on paper that was stacked at the TDL.

Bigger issue was you had a Top 6 that went totally silent in the last 3 games, and pretty much the entire series at ES. Sadly Miller followed the same ways as his Rangers days in the playoffs. Killorn and Johnson were not playoff beasts this year, but would give a pass to Gourde and Cirelli who are new to this experience. Although Cirelli was solid. Stamkos was good in the beginning but really only on the PP, and Kucherov just was not there in the last several games when it mattered the most.

This happened in the 2015 SCF, when Stamkos had 0 points in 6 games, and Johnson was playing hurt. Stamkos, Kucherov, and co dissappear when the stage gets bigger. You can bring in whoever you want on D , even have an All-Star Defense top to bottom, but if your big guns not even at least one of them are scoring those big goals it won’t matter. If they had scored one goal in the last two games and possibly first, these game outcomes are very different. Maybe won’t even get to a Game 7. That first goal is very important. Especially in the playoffs. I felt if they got the lead, the D would have showed up, and hold that lead. Anyway just my opinion, had 2 days to think about it. Lol.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Defense was not really the primary issue, imo. There were stretches in these playoffs where they shut down the opposition and even Washington, when they got the lead. Looked fantastic, and looked like that D on paper that was stacked at the TDL.

Bigger issue was you had a Top 6 that went totally silent in the last 3 games, and pretty much the entire series at ES. Sadly Miller followed the same ways as his Rangers days in the playoffs. Killorn and Johnson were not playoff beasts this year, but would give a pass to Gourde and Cirelli who are new to this experience. Although Cirelli was solid. Stamkos was good in the beginning but really only on the PP, and Kucherov just was not there in the last several games when it mattered the most.

This happened in the 2015 SCF, when Stamkos had 0 points in 6 games, and Johnson was playing hurt. Stamkos, Kucherov, and co dissappear when the stage gets bigger. You can bring in whoever you want on D , even have an All-Star Defense top to bottom, but if your big guns not even at least one of them are scoring those big goals it won’t matter. If they had scored one goal in the last two games and possibly first, these game outcomes are very different. Maybe won’t even get to a Game 7. That first goal is very important. Especially in the playoffs. I felt if they got the lead, the D would have showed up, and hold that lead. Anyway just my opinion, had 2 days to think about it. Lol.

Yeah for sure. I dont disagree with any of that, I was just pointing out how sad of a soul I am that we made it further when we had Carle and Sustr and added Coburn. This time we had a better bottom pairing and added a better defenseman and didn't make it as far. Face value that sucks but yes, it wasn't the main issue.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah for sure. I dont disagree with any of that, I was just pointing out how sad of a soul I am that we made it further when we had Carle and Sustr and added Coburn. This time we had a better bottom pairing and added a better defenseman and didn't make it as far. Face value that sucks but yes, it wasn't the main issue.

They were hungrier back then. This roster needs be hungry again. They still pretty much have that same core from that run, but with like you said upgrades in D and whatnot. So yeah this one stings a lot, that they could not make that final push with all this added talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
McD was a little disappointing, for sure. But I doubt he was entirely healthy. I think he'll look a lot better next year. He'll be fresh, he'll have a better feel for his partners strengths/weaknesses, and he'll have fully absorbed his responsibilities system-wise. Hard not to like how well he skates, but I think he's just at the age where he needs to realize that he can't rely on his skating like he used to to get out of trouble. I'm not going to hold his awful clearing attempts against him, because Hedman and everyone else were guilty of it, too.
I've seen some fans arguing that Dmen decline faster than forwards because they get bigger minutes. I'm not sure. Think quite a lot of forwards do keep playing well till like mid 30s. What I know for sure is injuries is one of the biggest factors. I just want everyone to have a healthy season...and while I do appreciate physicality, I prefer Pens/Hawks style, not LA when they won the Cup. Play smart, fast hockey w/ aggressive forechecking w/o even the need to hit or block shots much...

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Rosters is not the main problem it’s bowness, cooper and Richards we keep these guy and we are in the same position next year again like 2015, 2016 and 2018 in which we can’t score goals in the last few games.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Stamkos and Point were easily our best forwards against the Caps. I get that Stamkos was a disappointment in rounds 1 and 2 but he showed up in round 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad