Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NYR] Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek, 1st rd pk, con. 2nd for J.T. Miller & Ryan McDonagh

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Think Werewolf needs to take a step back. I've been invested before in topics on HF. It's not worth it man.

Honestly don't think Buchnevich said anything to go off on a rant about....maybe I missed something?
Thank you. If I knew this was TBL territory, I would have chosen my words more carefully, but even so, I don't feel like I said anything that bad.

Storm Bolt

Feb 27, 2018
Tampa Bay
welp... this hurts. never liked this trade from the start. it was fair value but we went after the wrong defenseman.

watch us resign this broken-down guy for a big contract too.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
welp... this hurts. never liked this trade from the start. it was fair value but we went after the wrong defenseman.

watch us resign this broken-down guy for a big contract too.

I seem to recall being widely bashed for suggesting that we not go after McDonagh or Karlsson and simply pay a lesser price for a solid defenseman who can at least keep Sustr and Dotchin off the ice without costing us too much of our prospect pool. McDonagh played like hot garbage and now we don’t have Howden or Hajek (not to mention a first and a second.)

This core doesn’t seem to have what it takes and this trade cost us a good chunk of our potential future core. Anybody else wish we had a big-bodied forward like Howden to throw against teams like the Caps? Hajek’s more hit or miss but if he hits we’re going to miss having him on our blue line alongside Serg and Foote in a couple years. Yzerman bet the future to win now and McDonagh did nothing against the Caps to contribute to that.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
McDonagh wasn't brought in to be the #1D, yet he was always out there against the opposition top line. Where was big Victor? Must have missed him out there.
Might want to look for Stammer and Kuch while you're at it.

And he couldn't cut it. The #1D on the Rangers played the worst out of our entire defensive core. He was a pylon this series and played terrible. Every player was bad this round as a whole minus Vasy. Point tried. Stamkos had 3 games of at least hitting a one timer. Hedman had two decent games. Not going to cut it when 17 skaters bottle it though.

McDonagh sucked ass this round. Face it.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
McD had a good start to the playoffs with a bunch of nice assists. He and Strålman did a good job of shutting down Hall and the Bergeron/Marchand/Pasternak lines. But yeah, McD sucked in this final series.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And he couldn't cut it. The #1D on the Rangers played the worst out of our entire defensive core. He was a pylon this series and played terrible. Every player was bad this round as a whole minus Vasy. Point tried. Stamkos had 3 games of at least hitting a one timer. Hedman had two decent games. Not going to cut it when 17 skaters bottle it though.

McDonagh sucked ass this round. Face it.

Well that's not true. I saw every game and outside the first 2, that's not even remotely true. Was he good? No. He had some nice blocks and broke up some plays, but didn't control the game at all. None of them did. Hedman has a lot of bad turnovers. Girardi got caught flat-foot footed. They blocked some shots and broke up some plays, but their entire defense struggled with the pressure Washington put on them.

McDonagh looked slower this round than he did the previous 2. Maybe he was injured, no clue. He always seemed to get injured and played through it in the playoffs with us. I don't recall him ever having a healthy playoff.

Last edited:

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Well that's not true. I saw every game and outside the first 2, that's not even remotely true. Was he good? No. He had some nice blocks and broke up some plays, but didn't control the game at all. None of them did. Hedman has a lot of bad turnovers. Girardi got caught flat-foot footed. They blocked some shots and broke up some plays, but their entire defense struggled with the pressure Washington put on them.

McDonagh looked slower this round than he did the previous 2. Maybe he was injured, no clue. He always seemed to get injured and played through it in the playoffs with us. I don't recall him ever having a healthy playoff.

Mac Truck losing steam has been a recent trend. He would play very well then have 4 to 5 games where he looked gassed. Wear and tear I guess, but he will have trouble getting elite dollars. 5 x5 sounds about right.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

He was God awful. Hedman, Sergachev and Coburn were all better. Undeniably. Stralman was better. It comes down to him and Girardi. Put them where you want but I think Girardi had a fine postseason except this round. McDonagh looked awful. Can't even begin to dupe me there. I watched every game too, he was not better than 4, about on par with Girardi who actually got an overtime gwg.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I seem to recall being widely bashed for suggesting that we not go after McDonagh or Karlsson and simply pay a lesser price for a solid defenseman who can at least keep Sustr and Dotchin off the ice without costing us too much of our prospect pool. McDonagh played like hot garbage and now we don’t have Howden or Hajek (not to mention a first and a second.)

This core doesn’t seem to have what it takes and this trade cost us a good chunk of our potential future core. Anybody else wish we had a big-bodied forward like Howden to throw against teams like the Caps? Hajek’s more hit or miss but if he hits we’re going to miss having him on our blue line alongside Serg and Foote in a couple years. Yzerman bet the future to win now and McDonagh did nothing against the Caps to contribute to that.
Well mcdonagh is under control next season if we win the cup next year then it’s a huge trade win by yzerman

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
We have McD for a whole year at a reasonable cost. Hes a proven solid top 2 man. Hedman McD surge strals, then dump the rest. Cernak looked good this year bring him up.

Trade Miller and/or killorn for picks to get some futures back.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
I didn't watch the first game of the series, but thought Mac was better at the last two. Esp. offensively. Not sure about the point of putting all the blame for the entire tire-fire defense mostly on him, when the team D as a whole struggled mightly. I don't remember which game, but when we did have better teamD, it was our forwards doing much better job to help our teamD.
As quite a few fans (not only here) have already pointed out, our D system seems to be having an issue for quite some time(you see that for our passive PK, too) and I'm losing faith in our D coach, sort of.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
You make a good point that McD should not shoulder sole blame for the defensive lapses in that last series. The blue line has done very well when they've gotten proper support from the forwards. That was another thing that Yzerman touched on in his last interview. He said something along the lines of the defense needing to improve doesn't necessarily refer to just the goalie and defensemen but that the whole team needs to improve defensively.

When I start feeling like ragging on McD, I just need to remind myself of how he and Stråls shut down one of the best lines in the league during the Boston series and one of the hottest forwards in Taylor Hall. Those were terrific performances from both of them that showed once again, that in Yzerman we should trust. :laugh:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
When yzerman trades for guys hint coburn and callahan he resigned them to new deals I expect him to try that with miller and mack truck.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
When yzerman trades for guys hint coburn and callahan he resigned them to new deals I expect him to try that with miller and mack truck.

Maybe McDonagh but I dont see us resigning Miller unless its for a cap friendly number. Word was that he wanted around 5? I dont think we do that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Maybe McDonagh but I dont see us resigning Miller unless its for a cap friendly number. Word was that he wanted around 5? I dont think we do that.
I have no idea what he will do with miller? we can pay him for this coming year 5 million next year i'd just go to arbration with him don't do a long term deal with him unless we can unload johnson then id pay miller long term.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
stop playing McDonagh with Girardi thats the problem with mcdonagh

We were better when we played Girardi with Coburn. Problem was we didnt have anybody playing with Hedman. Sergachev and Stralman wasnt a bad pairing either. Maybe a McDonagh Hedman pairing would have worked.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->