Taylor Chorney or Brian Lee?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Cerebral, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    I'm curious to see who people think is currently the better defenceman between the two. I've always thought Brian Lee was far better but it appears that Chorney is playing ahead of him in the American WJC lineup (paired with Erik Johnson) and a few North Dakota fans have mentioned that Chorney has been the team's best defenceman all year long. Any thoughts on the two? Who is better now and who has better long-term potential? Any thoughts on current NHL comparisons for the two players? I've heard Leetch's name connected a lot with Lee and I've heard a few people mention Leopold in reference to Chorney.

2. Egil

Egil Registered User

Home Page:
    Most teams don't put their best 2 defenseman on the same pairing. Pronger never played with McCinness or with Niedermyer, Redden never played with Chara, etc. So I wouldn't use that as a judge

3. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    Understandable, but I believe the American pairings are shaping out like this:

E. Johnson-Chorney
    Lawson-J. Johnson
    Zimmerman-Lee

Johnson and Johnson are the two best American defenders so Lee is playing on the third pairing (unless the Americans are really trying to spread out their defensive depth).

In any event, that wasn't even what really sparked the question in my mind. More so, a number of North Dakota fans have mentioned that Chorney has been a decent amount better (and more consistent) than Lee this season which struck me as odd given Lee's pedigree. I'm curious to see what others think (especially those who have seen the two play - I've only seen Chorney and Lee play once outside of the WJCs).

4. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I think it's pretty obvious the U.S. brass is trying to spread out it's defensive depth, which is why Lee is on the "third" pairing (although I don't think anyone involved with the team would frame it that way). As for Chorney/Lee, I would say Chorney has been more consistent this year, but I don't think that matters all that much when it comes to projecting their roles in the NHL.

5. ZombieMatt

ZombieMatt Registered User

I've had my last name butchered a lot, but never has anybody done quite the number on it that you just did. Congratulations.

6. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    Chorney was just named the captain of the American squad. :yo:

7. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Is he a ham?

I agree on all accounts.

From the few games that I have seen, Chorney has been more consistent although Lee has occasionally made my jaw drop. Lee was drafted on upside and it is clear that his upside is still very much a reachable goal, currently he is not as NHL ready as some of the other defencemen of his draft class but the goal of drafting someone in the top 10 by a team that had Stanley Cup expectations is not to make the team as quickely as possible but to have the greater impact when he does make his way to the NHL. Chorney is the more polished defender at this point in time but there is no doubt that Lee is the better prospect.

8. Cerebral

Cerebral Registered User

Teacher
    That's the sense that I've been getting from people who have seen the two play. Is Jordan Leopold a reasonable comparison for Taylor Chorney?

9. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

From what I've seen this year, Lee has Chorney beat in size and in his shot, just about everything else is in Chorney's corner right now. At last years WJC's, IMO Lee was clearly better, this year, it's the opposite. It doesn't mean much for NHL potential, but the fact that they are the same age, and are on the same team, IMO should account for something substantial when comparing the 2.

10. Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy Registered User

I haven't seen either of them play yet this year, but last year I would have said Lee. Good to hear Chorney is playing well though.

11. southpaw

southpaw Registered User

i'd actually give chorney the nod when it comes to his shot. he's got a pretty decent cannon and can pick corners fairly well for a defensemen. lee is an excellent passer and definitely will be a stud in the nhl.

right now, chorney is better, mainly because he is more solid when it comes to defensive positioning. lee will be better overall, because he hasn't really stepped it up from last year. once he does, then the sky is the ceiling for that kid. both have the potential to be top pair defensemen in the nhl.

12. FTowwn

FTowwn Registered User

brian lee > taylor chorney

brian lee is the next wade redden i think...chroney is still very good and solid, but Brian Lee is just that much better and more promising

13. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    Ill let you know after the WJCs..Lee has been pretty average to below average when i've watched him....I want to see how much he's improved first.

14. TheGreatone94

TheGreatone94 Registered User

Just wanted to bump this thread after the WJC's. Chorney, IMO, was the better player throughout the tournament hands down. He contributed more offensively, was steady defensively, and captained the team to a medal.

15. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

:biglaugh:

16. Marc-E-

Marc-E- Registered User

Ottawa shouldn't have pick it Staal way over Lee at the 05' Draft IMO.

17. The Mars Volchenkov

The Mars Volchenkov Registered User

In all honesty, Lee wasn't really put in a situation where he could succeed. He was playing his off-side and got no power play time at all, which surprised me.

Chorney played very well though.

18. orangeandblack

orangeandblack Registered User

in my opinion lee is overrated, and soft. yeah he can be good offensively and on the powerplay, but he isnt that good at either to warrant being a soft defenseman. i think chorney is very smooth and doesnt make many mistakes. hes better offensively then lee too. he isnt very physical, but his skating a positional play somewhat make up for that.

19. JackBauer

JackBauer Registered User

when you get the fortune to pick at number 10 when you should really be picking in the mid 20's and you have the depth and expectations of a team like ottawa, you can afford to pass on the safe pick like staal and you try to hit a home run with brian lee. he may end up only ever being a project but we ottawa fans have learned to trust our scouting team and wait patiently.

20. Zine

Zine Registered User

Lee has all the tools, but he doesn't have that "command presence" on the ice yet. It's frustrating watching someone so talented be so passive.

Chorney stepped it up big time from last year. Solid in all areas.....but has really (from what I gather) shown a lot of leadership ability.

21. Foligno#71

Foligno#71 Registered User

Journalist
    Home Page:
    Lee was one of the American players who really didn't make much of an impression. He was make his third WJC start, hence I expected him to be a much more of a prominent player. I also think he was the only US d who left the tournament as a minus.

Chorney on the other hand made the most of his oppurtunity. Behind the Johnsons, he was the best d on the American team. Great puck movement and some really smart plays to set up Erik on the power play.

22. orangeandblack

orangeandblack Registered User

agreed. heres how id rank the defensemen from the tournament

1. erik johnson
    1 a. jack johnson
    3. chorney
    4. lawson
    5. zimmerman
    6. lee
    7. mcbain

23. azsioux

azsioux Registered User

Home Page:
    i watch both of these guys every weekend being a sioux fan. chorney has passed lee up as a overall better d man. he was not far behind to begin with but lee's high draft status autmatically made it that way. lee is very good as well but has lacked being physical pretty much night in and out. i know its not a huge part of his game but a little is needed. chorney has a nice shot, lee only seems to wrist shots but gets many assists doing it. that doesnt bother me but there is time for a one timer or slap shots depending on the situation. both will be good nhl d men but i say chorney will be a bit ahead of lee in a few years when they are in the show.

follow both players here for any news and updates
    http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1

http://siouxsports.com/hockey.php

24. windflare

windflare Registered User

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

25. LadyByngJeanRatelle

LadyByngJeanRatelle Registered User

Home Page: