Taxi Squad Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Hey, I don't know if anyone knows the answer for sure, but I'm sure that some will act like they do ;) so here are the questions.

1. If a player is named to the taxi squad now, ala McCabe, Staal and Spezza, and the start to light it up more than before can they be added to the roster and one of the slumping or underachieving roster players be bumped back to the taxi squad before the start of the Olympics?

2. If an injury occurs to a player (Rob Blake) can the taxi sqaud player (Brian McCabe) be inserted into the lineup and have Adam Foote (who seems to be the odd man out as of right now) remain as the extra defender, or does Foote have to be the guy dressed and McCabe can only be dressed if 2 dmen are injured?

3. If a taxi squad player is on the roster (and playing amazingly) due to injury and the injured player is healthy again does the taxi squad player have to go back to the taxi squad or can they put the player that was injured on the taxi squad?

Thanks

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
My understanding is that if a guy is injured and replaced with a taxi squad player, he's done for the rest of the tournament. It's a permanent replacement to the roster. If a guy only needs to miss a game, he'd just be a scratch but you can't use a taxi squad guy unless he's going to replace the injured player for the rest of the tournament.

Don't know about making changes before the tournament. I'm going to assume these are final choices. I wonder what happens if more than 3 guys get hurt...can they call up another player?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Remax said:
2. If an injury occurs to a player (Rob Blake) can the taxi sqaud player (Brian McCabe) be inserted into the lineup and have Adam Foote (who seems to be the odd man out as of right now) remain as the extra defender, or does Foote have to be the guy dressed and McCabe can only be dressed if 2 dmen are injured?
Remember you can dress all 20 skaters, and most teams will play with seven if not eight defensemen. So of course you can dress McCabe. You can also chose to dress only 5 defensemen.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
jekoh said:
Remember you can dress all 20 skaters, and most teams will play with seven if not eight defensemen. So of course you can dress McCabe. You can also chose to dress only 5 defensemen.

what?

20 skaters yes, that is 12 forwards, 6 dmen and 2 goalies. They named 26 to the roster though.

3 goalies
8 dmen
15 forwards

1 dman and 2 forwards are on the taxi squad, as of right now they can't stay in the village or even dress for practise or exhibition games (if they have either) They can only do that if a player is injured. So no they can't dress McCabe unless someone is injured or if they can change the roster before the start of the Olympics, hence my questions about changing the roster and weather or not they can dress him if 1 dman is injured or only if 2 get injured

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Remax said:
what?

20 skaters yes, that is 12 forwards, 6 dmen and 2 goalies.
No.

20 "skaters" is 12 forwards and 8 d-men (or 13 and 7).

Remax said:
1 dman and 2 forwards are on the taxi squad, as of right now they can't stay in the village or even dress for practise or exhibition games (if they have either) They can only do that if a player is injured. So no they can't dress McCabe unless someone is injured or if they can change the roster before the start of the Olympics, hence my questions about changing the roster and weather or not they can dress him if 1 dman is injured or only if 2 get injured
Taxi squad players can be dressed for any exhibition game... As for your question I answered it : of course the can dress him if 1 dman is injured because they can dress all their 20 "skaters" (skaters as opposed to goalies).

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
jekoh said:
No.

20 "skaters" is 12 forwards and 8 d-men (or 13 and 7).

Taxi squad players can be dressed for any exhibition game... As for your question I answered it : of course the can dress him if 1 dman is injured because they can dress all their 20 "skaters" (skaters as opposed to goalies).

Ok, my bad, I didn't read that it said 20 skaters, I thought they just said they could dress 20 players.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Remax said:
Hey, I don't know if anyone knows the answer for sure, but I'm sure that some will act like they do ;) so here are the questions.

1. If a player is named to the taxi squad now, ala McCabe, Staal and Spezza, and the start to light it up more than before can they be added to the roster and one of the slumping or underachieving roster players be bumped back to the taxi squad before the start of the Olympics?

3. If a taxi squad player is on the roster (and playing amazingly) due to injury and the injured player is healthy again does the taxi squad player have to go back to the taxi squad or can they put the player that was injured on the taxi squad?

Thanks

The answer to question 1 is no, the only way a player from the 23 man roster can be removed is from an injury. Question 2, if a dman is hurt and can not play and is removed from the 23 man roster the taxi squad player goes into the 23 man roster. Its the coaches decision who plays. Good question on #3 no idea, I would assume if a player can not play and has to sub out its a major type injury since the tourny is so quick I do not see this happening,.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Remax said:
what?

20 skaters yes, that is 12 forwards, 6 dmen and 2 goalies. They named 26 to the roster though.

3 goalies
8 dmen
15 forwards

No, they named a 23 man roster (7d, 3G, 13F). The other three are called a taxi squad. They are not part of the team they are there in case an injury happens. A team did not have to announce the taxi squad at this time (i.e. US never announced it).

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
flambers said:
No, they named a 23 man roster (7d, 3G, 13F). The other three are called a taxi squad. They are not part of the team they are there in case an injury happens. A team did not have to announce the taxi squad at this time (i.e. US never announced it).

So, the injury happens next week,and its a lengthy one of those guys automatically makes the team, right?

Hey, say 5 or 6 players get long term injuries in the next month....they can then name more guys who aren't currently on the team, right?Thats gotta be right. Can't see the Olympics guys saying
"Sorry 5 of your guys tore up their ACLs....guess you'll be playing a little short"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Here is what the taxi squad is for: emergency players on an as needed basis.

The taxi squad cannot:

-be in the Olympic villiage
-be around teammates
-practice with the team
-go to any events with any credidation

The taxi squad can:

-skate by themselves
-sit in the hotel and watch TV
-attend events -- paying their own way in.

Wayne Gretzky is trying to get some of these changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->