Taxes and the cap

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Schwang, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bsl

bsl Registered User

This has been suggested before. Makes perfect sense. No idea why high tax region teams have not lobbied for this.

The nhl is a small club of 31 owners. They meet every year. This must have come up.

I think it might be that owners in high tax regions have been slow to react.

Molson being the prime example.

This will come up again. A cap does not help Habs. It hurts the club hugely. I’m sick of it.

Schwang likes this.
  2. bsl

bsl Registered User

Good. It’s not actually player costs alone we are talking about. It is team operation costs total.

3. bsl

bsl Registered User

I highly doubt that foreign millionaire players have to send their kids to French school unless they want to.

And this is not about player cost. It is about overall ownership cost.

4. bsl

bsl Registered User

Sigh. No one is getting this. It is not about player salary at all. It is about total tax to oprerate an nhl team. I would bet that Habs player costs are less than half the operating cost. Because all of their other costs are 100 percent federal and provincial taxable.

That should be addressed. Again. This is not just about player costs.

5. Schwang

Schwang Registered User

retail - for now
    Home Page:
    I disagree. It gets mentioned every time there's free agent discussion.

6. LeHab

LeHab Registered User

Before worrying about taxes, habs may want to address what they control -> hire better staff for one.

The Gr8 Dane and Milhouse40 like this.
  7. bsl

bsl Registered User

Yeah right. Its a big world out there mate and most foreign players play here for say 6 years. Cool if they want their children to learn French I agree. But they have longer term interests. They are internationals. Unlike you obviously. What a provincial attitude. You should travel more.

The Gr8 Dane and Laurentide like this.
  8. bsl

bsl Registered User

You have hit the sorest spot since 1976. Don’t go there. It’s the worst.

Cobra Commander likes this.
  9. ECWHSWI

ECWHSWI bought a MB jersey

would be fun to know how many exactly HAD to... chances are it's very close to 0.

and IF it ever happens in the future, so be it... not gonna cry over it, not gonna start kissing asses to get decent players in Montreal.

10. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Aren't the top 3 richest franchises Toronto, NYR, and Montreal?

If two of the top 3 biggest revenue generators are Canadian, then I'm sorry but the argument that the cost of ownership is too high for Canadian teams is nonsense. And seriously why the F should I care about the cost of ownership when the guy is raking in money hand over fist.

The Gr8 Dane likes this.
  11. ECWHSWI

ECWHSWI bought a MB jersey

trying to care about people who have zero care for mine here, not working out so far, their interest ? pouet

kissing ass isnt any more international.

people living in Quebec (both french and english speakers) are actually living in the most taxed province in one of the most taxed country in the world... so yeah, I'd love for Couillon to make exception for the poor little hockey players and would love even more for Plante to shed hundreds of millions for the next Mundial or help the starving ball players who'd be playing in the snowy Montreal...

me and my fellow Montrealers/Quebecers (ahatever language they speak) are clearly not doing enough for those millionaire-before-25.

The Gr8 Dane and Andrei79 like this.
  12. CHfan1

CHfan1 Registered User

Montreal isn’t in the position they are in because of taxes and a lack of free agency signings.

Teams don’t win Cups through free agency. They win it through drafting, developing players, making good trades, and good coaching.

Look at the last winners Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and now Washington have all won because their main core came from either the draft (Crosby, Malkin, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Toews, Kane, Keith, Ovi, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Carlson) or trades (Kessel, Carter, Eller).

Most of the time it seems like the big free agency signing turn into cap nightmares in the future, Alzner, Lucic, Eriksson.

I almost wish Montreal sat out the first few days of free agency.

The Gr8 Dane, Milhouse40 and Roke like this.
  13. Stoneburg

Stoneburg Registered User

Let's agree to NOT discuss the language issue, debating it will not change it, and it is too divisive.

I am aware you can make the same argument about taxes, and that issue is debated almost every year. But I think that issuer is less divisive.

14. Pickles

Pickles Registered User

Exactly. You want to start a kid in French school at an early age fine but some kids have a hard time adjusting to a new language when they're older.

15. MTL-rules

MTL-rules Registered User

In North America, yes, in the developped world, not even on par with the mean. We are far from overtaxed if we compare with Europe.

16. psychonaut

psychonaut Registered User

Pretty sure the Habs were linked in the Panama papers or the other leak like that. So not 100% they have there own tax avoidance like the players do too. I don't think the taxes play a big part in the decision for coming here or not.
    We could look at the last 10 years and the top 10 teams in the years compared with the tax rate see if there really an advantage.

17. Lshap

Lshap Hardline Moderate

Not sure about this...

Isn't the tax based on the city in which the games are played, not the actual team you play for? Habs players only 'work' in Montreal for 41 games, therefore they're taxed at Quebec rates for only those 41 games. The other half of the season, players are taxed at the rate of whatever city they're visiting.

I remember reading this, but again, I'm not sure if it's right.

18. Lshap

Lshap Hardline Moderate

True, but this discussion is less about global relativism than it is about the slight edge some NHL teams have over others.

ECWHSWI likes this.
  19. ToLegitToQuit

ToLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    One of the reasons why we lost Radulov. Wasn't the only one. The Stars recruited him very well and they had a better group of forwards for him to play with. On our team, he was beat up by the mid way point cause he was driving puck possession and dishing the puck to Patch in open space. He knew that our team was soft and bolted

20. ToLegitToQuit

ToLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    Tax difference between cities should be talked about in the next CBA to try to even the playing field a bit. The higher the salaries get, the more the problem. Tavares for example. $13M in Montreal is equal to #10M in Nashville.

21. Laurentide

Laurentide Registered User

It goes beyond just what the tax rate is in one city versus what it is in another. There are also some huge differences in how US-based players can "hide" money from the IRS compared to what Revenue Canada allows Canadian-based players. Just one example: country club fees. If you're playing in the US and you join a hoity-toity country club to play golf, the IRS allows you to write off the cost of that membership on your taxes (which would be 5 or 6 figures per year depending on how exclusive the club is) and claim it as a "health benefit". Not surprising, since the US tax code is written by rich white guys for rich white guys. Revenue Canada, on the other hand, is having precisely none of that. Everybody pays and exemptions are few and far between. So not only are the tax rates generally lower in the US (and in a lot of states which have no taxes, very much lower) but the amount of money you can stash away from the prying hands of the taxman is greater also.

Lshap likes this.
  22. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

Canada also has tax advantages. Set your endorsements up through a holdco, invest the money, spit it out as dividends at reduced tax rates.

Every jurisdiction and every player is going to be different. The marginal tax rate is only a starting point.

As for housing costs, those are more of an investment than an expense.

23. Tighthead

Tighthead Registered User

Source on the deductibility of country club dues?

What are some clubs that you think run 6 figures per year?

24. The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane Registered User

No excuses. Do your job . Be competant. We've had a plethora of garbage GM's and staff run this team into the ground over and over again. The high tax is the least of our worries with these dinosaurs in charge

25. Laurentide

Laurentide Registered User

The country club scenario was put forward by a tax lawyer who was interviewed about this very issue of NHL players and the tax implications. It was a few years ago but I doubt that US tax laws have been tightened up since then. More than likely they're even more lax now.

I'm quite sure that there are country clubs out there who charge into the six figures. My rich uncle the banking executive joined a country club in West Vancouver about 25 years ago and at that time associate memberships (not even full memberships, mind you, just associate memberships which only entitled you to limited benefits) were selling for close to $50,000 so full memberships were likely close to six figures even back then.

This is why if you see a black guy golfing at a country club, he's probably Tiger Woods, Denzel Washington or an NBA player. In the most exclusive clubs in the US, they have one or two token minority members in order to keep the ACLU off their case but other than that the only non-white faces you'll see there will be waiters, gardeners or caddies. And some clubs still discourage women from being members. As the old saying goes, the word "golf" stands for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden".