Tavares vs. Espo

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I know its very early but its always fun to compare. I've read alot about Tavares and have tix to see him in London on Oct. 21. I know he had 4 goals in his first 3 games in the O and he just turned 15 I believe.

Theres an articles on HF about Espo, so i'm curious to ask if anyone here has seen these players and can compare them. Its way too early to tell but i'd still like to hear opinions on which one will be a better player in a few years when their draft day comes (2007 for Espo?, 2008 or 2009 for Tavares - not sure how draft works w/ new CBA).

Thanks.

Transported Upstater

trahans99 said:
I know its very early but its always fun to compare. I've read alot about Tavares and have tix to see him in London on Oct. 21. I know he had 4 goals in his first 3 games in the O and he just turned 15 I believe.

Theres an articles on HF about Espo, so i'm curious to ask if anyone here has seen these players and can compare them. Its way too early to tell but i'd still like to hear opinions on which one will be a better player in a few years when their draft day comes (2007 for Espo?, 2008 or 2009 for Tavares - not sure how draft works w/ new CBA).

Thanks.

As far as I know, the draft thing isn't changed yet, but I could be wrong, so I still think you're eligible if you turn 18 on or before September 15(?) of that draft year.

I don't know Tavares' birthday off hand, but he's not eligible for a while. He must be excellent if he's able to play in the OHL at 15; I don't believe anyone's played a full season (and excelled) at 15 since Jason Spezza, so Tavares will have to deal with players wanting to "welcome" him to OHL hockey, as well as a tremendous amount of off-ice pressure.

Oshawa does not possess the roster Québec does, so it will be interesting to see how Tavares' first season plays out.

But I personally feel Tavares has more potential than Esposito and that Angelo is farther along at this point. But I haven't seen Tavares play enough to make a really good comparison...

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Tavares is definetaly a late born, he will be in 2009 if the CBA hasn't affected the draft at all.

He's had quite the start, he seems like he's well ahead of the WHLer Hamill (another guy who will have 4 Major Junior seasons before his draft year) at the same age.

kruezer said:
Tavares is definetaly a late born, he will be in 2009 if the CBA hasn't affected the draft at all.

He's had quite the start, he seems like he's well ahead of the WHLer Hamill (another guy who will have 4 Major Junior seasons before his draft year) at the same age.

Hamill's rookie season was last year. He'll be eligible next year and will have 3 years of experience like most late birthdays. Tavares is a year ahead of his age group and is a late birthday which is why he'll have 4 years of experience.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Doomsday Device said:
Hamill's rookie season was last year. He'll be eligible next year and will have 3 years of experience like most late birthdays. Tavares is a year ahead of his age group and is a late birthday which is why he'll have 4 years of experience.
While his rookie campaign was last season, he did play 4 games the season before being that the WHL drafts its players at a year younger than the OHL (aside from the new exemption) and the QMJHL. He went 4 GP and 0-2-2 at essentially the same age (a couple months difference I believe) that Tavares is right now.

kruezer said:
While his rookie campaign was last season, he did play 4 games the season before being that the WHL drafts its players at a year younger than the OHL (aside from the new exemption) and the QMJHL. He went 4 GP and 0-2-2 at essentially the same age (a couple months difference I believe) that Tavares is right now.

Ah, I see what you mean. I knew that he got the usual call-up most high bantam draft picks do, but I don't see how such a small sample is useful in terms of comparing their progression.

Edit:
Although, I guess if you used the playoff games as well, you probably would have enough for a comparison.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Doomsday Device said:
Ah, I see what you mean. I knew that he got the usual call-up most high bantam draft picks do, but I don't see how such a small sample is useful in terms of comparing their progression.

Edit:
Although, I guess if you used the playoff games as well, you probably would have enough for a comparison.
Definetaly true, the sample is definetaly small, but considering Tavares' sample was only 3 games and he's already dropped 4 goals, I figured that it was a legit enough comparison for now.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
kruezer said:

Nick Drazenovic with the Prince George Cougars played 15 games as a 15 yr old towards the end of the regular season in 02/03. That would be the most games played by a 15 yr old in the WHL in a long time, not including playoffs.

Transported Upstater

HabLover said:
Nick Drazenovic with the Prince George Cougars played 15 games as a 15 yr old towards the end of the regular season in 02/03. That would be the most games played by a 15 yr old in the WHL in a long time, not including playoffs.

Anyone have a theory on why their hasn't been a 15-year old full-season WHLer? Or is my question unintentionally inflammatory?

I was just wondering if there are any inherent differences in the WHL that would be a reason for your point...

TransportedUpstater said:
Anyone have a theory on why their hasn't been a 15-year old full-season WHLer? Or is my question unintentionally inflammatory?

I was just wondering if there are any inherent differences in the WHL that would be a reason for your point...

The WHL has firm rules against it. Someone like Jay Bouwmeester probably would have been granted special status if he was from Ontario.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Same with the QMJHL. Halifax asked the Q to allow Crosby to play there as a 15 year old but they said no.

OHL doesnt seem to have a problem with 15 year olds playing. The WHL allows 15 year olds to play some games but to my knowledge no 15 year old has ever played in the QMJHL.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Jon Prescription said:
Tavares' potential is off the map compared to Espo's as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't say that, Tavares is going to be a superstar in the CHL yes, but I think Esposito is going to be a super star as well, Tavaras is going to be awsome though. Everyone is talking about Tavaras for the 2009, but watch Steve Anthony, and Travis Randell to give him a go as well for the same draft. Just watch and see. Espsoitos talent as well though is off the map and he is showing us right now what he is capable of and he is not even comfortable yet in the league.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
scoutman1 said:
I wouldn't say that, Tavares is going to be a superstar in the CHL yes, but I think Esposito is going to be a super star as well, Tavaras is going to be awsome though. Everyone is talking about Tavaras for the 2009, but watch Steve Anthony, and Travis Randell to give him a go as well for the same draft. Just watch and see. Espsoitos talent as well though is off the map and he is showing us right now what he is capable of and he is not even comfortable yet in the league.

Yes, but Tavares is on the verge of being crowned the "next great one" while Espo is looking to be a mid first round pick in his draft.

Transported Upstater

Doomsday Device said:
The WHL has firm rules against it. Someone like Jay Bouwmeester probably would have been granted special status if he was from Ontario.

Thanks for the response; I didn't know that.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The O made a special exception for Tavares to be drafted as a 15 year old.....its not like 15 year old are able to enter the draft as the same rule that applies in the Q and out west also applies in the OHL.

Great to see a Portuguese hockey star in the making....its about time.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AlMo said:
The O made a special exception for Tavares to be drafted as a 15 year old.....its not like 15 year old are able to enter the draft as the same rule that applies in the Q and out west also applies in the OHL.

Great to see a Portuguese hockey star in the making....its about time.

Yes but over the last 15 years the OHL has allowed 4 15 year olds to play the whole season (Cleary, Fata, Spezza and Tavares) where as the WHL and QMJHL have not.

The OHL doesnt seem to have a problem with allowing 15 year olds to play, and you can bet the amount will go up because now parents of a 15 year old kid will want the special exception rule as well.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jon Prescription said:
Yes, but Tavares is on the verge of being crowned the "next great one" while Espo is looking to be a mid first round pick in his draft.

Espo is ranked as the best 89 born player on the planet right now...he has held that title for years now and is showing why right now. The only player to give him a run for 2007 draft will be Zach Hamill and IMO Espo is the top ranked player for 2007....Will be 1st overall IMO.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
moosefan said:
Espo is ranked as the best 89 born player on the planet right now...he has held that title for years now and is showing why right now. The only player to give him a run for 2007 draft will be Zach Hamill and IMO Espo is the top ranked player for 2007....Will be 1st overall IMO.

I agree. As he is now leading the Q in scoring it is tough to say that any player at the same age is ahead of that kind of development. The 07 draft is a long ways away though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad