Tavares vs. Crosby

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
they are not going to tank it when they have a team that could win the stanley cup.

Once tankers (and divers and whiners) alway tankers (Starting with Mario). With a ripe cherry like Tavares there to be had you'll see "injuries" and salary dumps ("to afford Sidney") and a journeyman goalie (to ensure losses) to get into the lottery. Which they will, of course, win. :teach:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
this is probably the most intelligent word spoken on this issue

Far from it.

Time will tell? It already has! Ovechkin was clearly the better player when he was 20 and Crosby was 18. All it took was one season for Crosby to mature to the level where he was significantly better. The gap is only going to get wider from here.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Far from it.

Time will tell? It already has! Ovechkin was clearly the better player when he was 20 and Crosby was 18. All it took was one season for Crosby to mature to the level where he was significantly better. The gap is only going to get wider from here.

You dont understand.

Ovechkin and Crosby are both at their tender ages, with different teams; Crosby has far mor talented team, while Ovechkin's is on the other extreme.

When they end their careers at whatever age, then you would know who is the better of the two, but in opinions.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ovechkin has alot more raw talent but I think Crosby is refined. If he played without a name on his jersey the way he makes decisions I'd think he would have been a 15 year vet on the ice rather than a 2 year 19 year old out there.

Crosby did have a better team but I'd say that means nothing because Crosby made his team good. Sure they had Malkin, etc but I think that Crosby was the thing that pushed the team to that W 1/4 of the nights. Ovechkin is swimming upstream with the team he had, and his style can't control the current like Crosby. Ovechkin needs a viable center, that's why Nylander will be a great shift for him, when that happens Ovechkin can start posting numbers in the 110's or 120's with a shot at 60 goals.

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
Ovechkin needs a viable center, that's why Nylander will be a great shift for him, when that happens Ovechkin can start posting numbers in the 110's or 120's with a shot at 60 goals.

I think you've hit on something that I think we overlook. As a center, Crosby has the puck on his stick most of the time he's on the ice. Plays usually start and end on his stick. OV needs a center that will feed him the puck is a position to do some damage, not that he can't do that himself on shear talent. Crosby is AWESOME, by I'd rather watch OV's magnificence. He's just fun to watch with his combo of speed, slick moves, "bull in the china closet determination" and touch around the net. But as someone else posted, let's wait 5 years so we can get more amo for comparisons.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
Ovechkin has alot more raw talent but I think Crosby is refined.If he played without a name on his jersey the way he makes decisions I'd think he would have been a 15 year vet on the ice rather than a 2 year 19 year old out there.

Crosby did have a better team but I'd say that means nothing because Crosby made his team good. Sure they had Malkin, etc but I think that Crosby was the thing that pushed the team to that W 1/4 of the nights. Ovechkin is swimming upstream with the team he had, and his style can't control the current like Crosby. Ovechkin needs a viable center, that's why Nylander will be a great shift for him, when that happens Ovechkin can start posting numbers in the 110's or 120's with a shot at 60 goals.

Id love to know how you came up with that one.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Id love to know how you came up with that one.

What is there not to understand that Ovechkin has alot more raw talent... meaning he's very talented but can't control it enough to control the team...

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
What is there not to understand that Ovechkin has alot more raw talent... meaning he's very talented but can't control it enough to control the team...

You are stating an opinion as if it were fact.

To say someone has ALOT more raw talent than another player is a pretty bold claim. So, I would like to know how you came to this conclusion.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Well I hate the fact that people continue to use age against AO. Ovechkin and Crosby are both 2 seasons mature. Ovechkin would've been in the NHL sooner, but the transfer agreement in Russia and lockout caused him to enter the NHL a little late. The lockout and transfer agreement has stunted Ovechkin's growth, so I don't think it's fair that you compare how Crosby is two years younger. I think in my opinion it is more reasonable to compare Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of NHL experience, which is 2 NHL seasons. I don't think there is any other level of hockey which can compare similar experiences such as playing in the NHL against the very best players, etc.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Back to Tavares vs Crosby.

Based on what I've seen of Tavares the last 3 games, he's NOT on par with Crosby nor Ovechkin for that matter........at least at his current age. Sid and AO were always equal to or better than the better players 2-3 years their elder (I think Sid had a ppg in the WJC playing against kids 3 years older than him).

Tavares, even against a brutal defense, really hasn't done too much. Granted, its only 3 games, but I just don't see the pure talent level of a Crosby or AO in Tavares.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Well I hate the fact that people continue to use age against AO. Ovechkin and Crosby are both 2 seasons mature. Ovechkin would've been in the NHL sooner, but the transfer agreement in Russia and lockout caused him to enter the NHL a little late. The lockout and transfer agreement has stunted Ovechkin's growth, so I don't think it's fair that you compare how Crosby is two years younger. I think in my opinion it is more reasonable to compare Crosby and Ovechkin in terms of NHL experience, which is 2 NHL seasons. I don't think there is any other level of hockey which can compare similar experiences such as playing in the NHL against the very best players, etc.

The name of the thread is "Tavares vs. Crosby".

HABSMANIA21*

tavares can wait till 2009. he has the biggest attitude i have ever seen. hes doesnt even sign autographs because he has a contract with a autograph company.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

So Crosby has had a signifigantly better first two seasons. (sorry I know this doesn't belong here but I couldn't resist)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad