Tavares vs. Crosby

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Agreed... Generational means once a Generation... not twice or three times... right now Crosby is easily playing at the highest level, so he represents the generation as that generational player.

As for the goof above, I don't really know what you're implying with "(illness problems)"??

You gotta be kidding me, nevermind I shouldnt argue with you, your as ignorant as one comes by.

Nitwit these days....<_<

Also, there are so many flaws in that statement, because your now implying that Lemieux wasnt a generational talent.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
listen i dont make this stuff up.

you cant just pick a player you like and call him a generational player. crosby is a talent that the league hasnt seen since mario lemieux.

THIS IS A FACT.

Nobody is making stuff up for generational talents.......the 2 I can see, or any hockey player can see is Ovechkin and Crosby....AND ITS A FACT.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
i would consider evgeni and alex exceptional players. players of this calibre come arounf every 3-5 years. multiple all stars. top 10 to 15 in scoring consistently.

a generational talent wins a scoring title in his 2nd year. they come around every 15-20 years.

these are very different and very separate. it doesnt matter that you like ovechkin more. he was projected as a very strong player- and he is. but crosby is on a different level.

now- tavares is a prospect on the same level of ovechkin and evgeni right now. we will see how he develops in junior. he has 2 more years...and a very good attitude in terms of wanting to get better.

Again, too many flaws in your comment, from your POV, your saying that Mario Lemieux wasnt a generational talent, Lemieux didnt win scoring titles in his 1st or 2nd season, BUT HE STILL WAS A GENERATIONAL TALENT.

Crosby and Ovechkin are nearly at the same level, I dont know what your talking about, ask a player who plays on the ice.

I would call a player like Sakic, or Selanne, or Malkin exceptional players, but I would, and almost everyone would, call Ovechkin and Crosby generational talents.

Now i dont want to hii-jack this thread, so lets get back on topic.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
You gotta be kidding me, nevermind I shouldnt argue with you, your as ignorant as one comes by.

Nitwit these days....<_<

Also, there are so many flaws in that statement, because your now implying that Lemieux wasnt a generational talent.

Are you implying that Ovechkin is Lemieux to Crosby's Gretzky, if not then I rest my case... if you are, then you don't know what Lemieux was like on the ice, so it's a lose-lose situation.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Are you implying that Ovechkin is Lemieux to Crosby's Gretzky, if not then I rest my case... if you are, then you don't know what Lemieux was like on the ice, so it's a lose-lose situation.

I am not implying nethier, I said you were implying that Lemieux wasnt a generational talent.

And you also supported my case by saying "what Lemieux was like on the ice," as they are both different players.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
10 - Generational talent -- a player for the ages, one who can do things with a puck that no other player would even contemplate doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating, probably one per decade. Think Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr, maybe Sidney Crosby, but we'll see.- taken stright from the HF website.

a generational talent wins multiple scoring titles...mario WAS a generational talent. he destroyed juniors and destroyed the NHL. he did things on the ice no one has ever seen. ovechkin was pretty easily contained by defenseman this last season. he isnt difficult to shut down and tries the same move over and over again...he shoots the puck without even the slightest recognition of a teammate. stop watching youtube.

ovechkin will NEVER win an art ross the same way bure never won an art ross. both are great players. but they are not generational.

and crosby and ovechkin are not on the same level. they are 2 years apart- and sid just sees the game so much differently. ovechkin may be more physically gifted- but sid is a genius on the ice. whens the last time you saw a player slide on the ice to see the pass on a different level (goal against TB) or go one on three or four and have an ADVANTAGE on defenseman. or score while flying through the air. the list goes on and on.

just enjoy the show dude. ovechkin will be a borderline 100 pt player for the majority of his career. a little more a little less. crosby will break the 140s very soon. you can quote me on this.

just enjoy the show- and stop the hate.

Last edited:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
a generational talent wins multiple scoring titles...mario WAS a generational talent. he destroyed juniors and destroyed the NHL. he did things on the ice no one has ever seen. ovechkin is pretty easily contained by defenseman...please watch games and stop watching youtube.

what are you not understanding? ovechkin will never win an art ross the same way bure never won an art ross. both are great players. but they are not generational.

and crosby and ovechkin are not on the same level. they are 2 years apart- and sid just sees the game so much differently. ovechkin may be more physically gifted- but sid is a genius on the ice

Again, too many flaws in your comment.

If your saying a generational talent wins multiple scoring titles, and Crosby hasnt, then that must mean he isnt a generational talent.

Both Ovechkin and Crosby and super-humans on the ice, and they make defensemen look silly, ask hockey players, and please, watch Ovechkin play, as I think you have only watched Crosby play.

Ovechkin is probably top 3 in making the opposing defensemen look silly, and he is hard to contain. Ask Pronger and Beauchemin.

What DONT YOU UNDERSTAND? Both Ovechkin and Crosby are generational talents.

Generational player or Generational talent is when a majority of groups of people feel that from the performance of a certain player in previous years can be translated well into the future, but even better. In this case, hockey analysts, people, and players feel from the 1st season both of Crosby and Ovechkin they are generational talents, because both had seasons that only great ones had in their beginnings. Again this points to Crosby and Ovechkin.

Exceptional players are Malkin, Sakic, Sundin, etc, because they did not have as amazing or as outstanding as the first seasons both Ovechkin and Crosby had, and thus, would always be thought of as "exceptional players," which Ovechkin and Crosby arnt.

For the Bure arguement, HOW THE ****ING HELL do you know if Ovechkin might win the Art Ross or not, thats like me saying Wade Belak would be a Norris Trophy winner 6 times in his career.

Also, tell me what your "extraterrestial" crystal ball says of the future of Nintendo.

And for you to not agree with these statements, it must mean that you are a homer and have personal issues with Ovechkin.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
10 - Generational talent -- a player for the ages, one who can do things with a puck that no other player would even contemplate doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating, probably one per decade. Think Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr, maybe Sidney Crosby, but we'll see.- taken stright from the HF website.
a generational talent wins multiple scoring titles...mario WAS a generational talent. he destroyed juniors and destroyed the NHL. he did things on the ice no one has ever seen. ovechkin was pretty easily contained by defenseman this last season. he isnt difficult to shut down and tries the same move over and over again...he shoots the puck without even the slightest recognition of a teammate. stop watching youtube.

ovechkin will NEVER win an art ross the same way bure never won an art ross. both are great players. but they are not generational.

and crosby and ovechkin are not on the same level. they are 2 years apart- and sid just sees the game so much differently. ovechkin may be more physically gifted- but sid is a genius on the ice. whens the last time you saw a player slide on the ice to see the pass on a different level (goal against TB) or go one on three or four and have an ADVANTAGE on defenseman. or score while flying through the air. the list goes on and on.

just enjoy the show dude. ovechkin will be a borderline 100 pt player for the majority of his career. a little more a little less. crosby will break the 140s very soon. you can quote me on this.

Hfboards also said Wellwood would be a career minor-leaguer.

You gotta be kidding me, this is just plain ignorance.

When was the last time you see a guy sliding his back down, not looking towards the net, and slides a goal in, when the goalie is truley paralized because of the play? When was the last time a player that slid by two Norris Trophy candidates, Niedermayer and Pronger, went through them, and back handed a goal against Giguere?

You SHOULD ENJOY what Hockey is producing right now, 3 generational talents all in Ovechkin, Crosby, and Tavares. Both Crosby and Ovechkin are going to follow closely in scoring races, one is going to beat the other, and the other might beat him the second time around.

YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THIS.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Ok, lets get back on track, shall we?

I personally see Crosby's accomplishments HUGE, and his accomplishments of the same age as Tavares in the Q is much better than what Tavares had done this season.

But if Tavares improves his skating.....UH OH!

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005

I personally see Crosby's accomplishments HUGE, and his accomplishments of the same age as Tavares in the Q is much better than what Tavares had done this season.

I don't wanna get back off track, and you made a case for Ovechkin surely, but I personally see him has just below a generational talent... more than a franchise player, which on the typical scale would put him at 'generational', but if it's possible, I see him right in between there.

I agree that if Tavares improves his skating, which I don't doubt for a moment he will (he has plenty of time), that he will duke it out with Crosby a couple times for that Art Ross and as well with get plenty of Richard Trophies. I don't think he will be at Crosby's level in the end, but I think he is going to be a super elite goal scorer.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

LOL. are you trying to make the top 10 list of most posts in a week or something. you have triple posted three times on this page alone and you have an average of 73 posts pr. day:biglaugh:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I would immediately call Crosby a generational talent, and if you're allowed more than one, then I think Ovechkin is still in the running. If he's the only guy in the league who doesn't get dusted by Sid every season, he'll be given equal consideration.

I'm skeptical of Tavares, but not in disbelief that he could be yet another legitimate name in this conversation.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
LOL. are you trying to make the top 10 list of most posts in a week or something. you have triple posted three times on this page alone and you have an average of 73 posts pr. day:biglaugh:

:amazed::amazed:

Holy shoot, it must be a boring day.;)

By the way, where does it say posts per day? On many main boards, it does say that, but on Hfboards, it doesnt.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I would immediately call Crosby a generational talent, and if you're allowed more than one, then I think Ovechkin is still in the running. If he's the only guy in the league who doesn't get dusted by Sid every season, he'll be given equal consideration.

I'm skeptical of Tavares, but not in disbelief that he could be yet another legitimate name in this conversation.

John Tavares=Brett Hull?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
:amazed::amazed:

Holy shoot, it must be a boring day.;)

By the way, where does it say posts per day? On many main boards, it does say that, but on Hfboards, it doesnt.

i know what you mean, i have had a couple of days with probably around 100 posts. but enough of this now, its WAY of topic:)

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Isn't it possible Ovechkin and or Malkin are generational Russian hockey talents?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the best Russian players still in Russia for most of the period when Gretzky and Lemeiux were playing?
It seems until now their best havn't really gotten a chance to show what they are capable of during their primes.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006

That just about sums it up.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
Tavares is great but Crosby is a generational talent. Crosby had ridiculous media coverage as a young player much like Tavares BUT Tavares plays much much closer to the 4th largest city on the continent. Crosby for sure.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Crosby's career has started out as generational.....in fact there isn't anything else he could have done so far.
To be generational after ones career is all said and done he will have to produce for a long time but I don't see any reason for that not to happen.

Tavares .....well way to early. My guess is not generational but one heck of a gaol scoring career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad