Proposal: Tavares to St.Louis

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not to mention the expectation we will be adding a top 6 forward to the roster prior to the free agency courting date, as all indications from management point to. So trade out an unproven rookie slot and our top 9 is definitely a contender. Everyone agrees our defense is contender worthy. Can our goalie compete? Not sure. But he's shown he can steal a series for sure.

Fabbri-Tavares-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-2RW at draft
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov
Jaskin, Thorburn

That's insertion of three top 6 players, with moving down of three who played top 6 minutes and had zero business doing so. Explain how that's not a contender.

If JT walks, then I think the Isles will be open for business. If St. Louis gets Tavares, it probably won't cost them any assets and only money. Ponying up something for Lee or Eberle might not be a bad idea.

While I hate the idea and I'll vomit if he truly does leave, I think St. Louis is almost too good of a fit on so many levels and have thought so for a long time. The goalie situation isn't ideal for the Blues, but adding Tavares changes that team dramatically. Only thing is, who wears 91? Kind of a big part of his brand.

On a sidenote, what's with this feud with Couture again? From what I recall, Tavares' Exceptional Player status kind of screwed Couture over as he was slated to go to Oshawa or something. I forget the exact details, but they're adults now and pros. I don't think the bad blood from something out of their control as teenagers is going to prevent him from signing in SJ if he chose to go there.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If JT walks, then I think the Isles will be open for business. If St. Louis gets Tavares, it probably won't cost them any assets and only money. Ponying up something for Lee or Eberle might not be a bad idea.

While I hate the idea and I'll vomit if he truly does leave, I think St. Louis is almost too good of a fit on so many levels and have thought so for a long time. The goalie situation isn't ideal for the Blues, but adding Tavares changes that team dramatically. Only thing is, who wears 91? Kind of a big part of his brand.

On a sidenote, what's with this feud with Couture again? From what I recall, Tavares' Exceptional Player status kind of screwed Couture over as he was slated to go to Oshawa or something. I forget the exact details, but they're adults now and pros. I don't think the bad blood from something out of their control as teenagers is going to prevent him from signing there if he chose to go there.
Eberle I can see but Lee less so. We need a RW RHS direly. Will say though his 6m cap hit would be tougher to fit in, wed have to move Gunnarsson Sobotka and Bouwmeester to do that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Eberle I can see but Lee less so. We need a RW RHS direly. Will say though his 6m cap hit would be tougher to fit in, wed have to move Gunnarsson Sobotka and Bouwmeester to do that.

In that scenario, I think the Isles would be quite motivated sellers and salary retention would be a given.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Insofar, the Blues brass has pretty much indicated that they aren’t moving Thomas and Kyrou, but we do have the Winnipeg 1st in ‘18 as well as our own in ‘19. Everyone else would be available. Gunnarsson and Sobotka would be easy to throw in for some added value and cap balancing.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Insofar, the Blues brass has pretty much indicated that they aren’t moving Thomas and Kyrou, but we do have the Winnipeg 1st in ‘18 as well as our own in ‘19. Everyone else would be available. Gunnarsson and Sobotka would be easy to throw in for some added value and cap balancing.
I wish a mod would sticky the comment below because we keep having the same pointless conversation.

So long as 27 yr old Tavares is waivering in his decision , the nyi owners will not green lght trading his rights.

If Tavares talks to other teams and tells the nyi he is leaving well that is a gamble the nyi took and lost.
We take our chances while the owners continue to woo Tavares.

Reactions: simon in canada

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
These exercises are always interesting, but nobody is giving up a lot for Tavares's rights. There isn't much benefit. He can't sign a longer deal with anyone but the Isles, and he'd be a fool to leave money on the table by signing early elsewhere. He's either staying in New York or becoming a UFA on July 1.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I am not a St.Louis fan, or a fan of any of the teams listed in the proposals.

To NYI:
Ivan Barbashev
2018 STL 2nd (conditional if JT signs)
2018 STL 5th
2018 STL 7th

To STL:
Rights to John Tavares
2019 NYI 3rd

This only happens if it is 100% confirmed JT is walking. When a guy of this pedigree hits the market, acquiring his rights may be worth it, to potentially get him on a cheaper deal and have the first go of negotiation.

NYI add a young C with some upside, and some draft picks.

--

To Florida:
Jay Bouwmeester

To St.Louis:
2018 FLA 3rd
2019 FLA 4th

Florida could use Bouwmeesters defensive presence. J-Bo has fallen out of favour in St.Louis with Dunn and Edmundson, so he may opt back to Florida, where he played many years with, and doesn't have a crazy media (which he hates)

Yandle-Ekblad
Bouwmeester-Pysyk
Matheson-Petrovic

--

To Toronto:
Vladimir Sobotka

To St.Louis:
Josh Leivo

Toronto is likely to lose Tyler Bozak in the off-season. Sobotka is a very solid defensive C who plays hard, and can play wing.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-Sobotka-Kapanen
Johnsson-?-Brown

--

St.Louis then signs Tavares to a 8 year x 10.5M deal.

St.Louis then adds some youth into the line-up - Kyrou, Thomas, Schmaltz, Husso - and with a healthy Fabbri this is what they would look like..

Berglund - Tavares - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Kyrou
Fabbri - Thomas - Steen
Jaskin - Brodziak - Thompson
Sanford
Leivo

*Don't get too caught up in the line combos, I just think Schwartz-Schenn should stay together, and Berglund would be a good complement to JT/Tarasenko.

Dunn - Pietrangelo
Edmundson - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Allen
Husso

FLA doesn't have their 2018 3rd, we traded it for Vatrano and no we don't want Bouwmeester back here. I would take Edmundson though ;)

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Let's not kid ourselves, if Tavares decides to leave NYI, his right in any universe won't cost that much.

I could see STL giving up the 2nd to do a sign and trade, maybe, to give him 8 years and lower the cap hit. That's all.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I wish a mod would sticky the comment below because we keep having the same pointless conversation.

So long as 27 yr old Tavares is waivering in his decision , the nyi owners will not green lght trading his rights.

If Tavares talks to other teams and tells the nyi he is leaving well that is a gamble the nyi took and lost.
We take our chances while the owners continue to woo Tavares.
I think you’re commenting at me providing available assets for trade but you mistake the intended target. The above poster said if the Blues managed to sign Tavares that they should be interested in Lee or Eberle. I mentioned that we would actually be interested in Eberle (maybe). That’s why I posted my available trading pieces. Not for Tavares.

I want to spend only cash for JT. I’m not in the trade for his rights boat because there’s a ton of teams who will be after him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think you’re commenting at me providing available assets for trade but you mistake the intended target. The above poster said if the Blues managed to sign Tavares that they should be interested in Lee or Eberle. I mentioned that we would actually be interested in Eberle (maybe). That’s why I posted my available trading pieces. Not for Tavares.

I want to spend only cash for JT. I’m not in the trade for his rights boat because there’s a ton of teams who will be after him.
My post about a mod making a Tavares/owners sticky, was directed at the thread starter.

As for Lee/Eberle, if one is dealt I expect it would be for a top 4 D ( and no thanks to Gunnerson for either)
Nelson is about as much as I would give up for Gunnerson.

Last edited:
Reactions: IODCPiper

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Look to sign Tavares in free agency.

Bouwmeester to NYI for a 2nd rounder at the draft.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Oh I would do that in a heartbeat! JBo would have to waive his NTC, but one would think he might enjoy NYC.

Garth Snow has a history of acquiring veteran defenseman with one year left on their contracts at the draft (Wisnieski, Visnovsky).

I can see him looking to go that route again, and Bouwmeester could be a solid fit next to Ryan Pulock on the team's second pairing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And? They still missed the playoffs. They barely made the playoffs the year before. They also have a boring style of play that likely won't be appealing to the best free agent in a long long time. Nor do they have a prime location for a free agent. It's a silly pipe-dream at this point.
They are one of the most winningest teams in the NHL over the last 6 years, lol. They are one of the few teams who can basically give him whatever contract he wants while still promising to compete for the Cup. It's not a prime location but also a good one if he doesn't want to deal with any media hoopla.

It's not really a "pipe dream", I'd bet they are easily among the top 5 teams in the running if he hits free agency. So if it's a pipe dream for the Blues, it is for any other team too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad