Speculation: Tavares or Carlson, why not both?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs have been down the Tanev road before with Lupul and Colaiacovo. Expecting these guys to suddenly be healthy is a fool's errand. They are what the are... made of glass, and for that reason, cannot be counted on as anything more than a support piece for a greater core. In other words... if a guy like Tanev plays... great, your team is that much better. But you can't count on him. You need the depth to offset his absence and the Leafs don't have that.

Then acquire it.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The Leafs have been down the Tanev road before with Lupul and Colaiacovo. Expecting these guys to suddenly be healthy is a fool's errand. They are what the are... made of glass, and for that reason, cannot be counted on as anything more than a support piece for a greater core. In other words... if a guy like Tanev plays... great, your team is that much better. But you can't count on him. You need the depth to offset his absence and the Leafs don't have that.

I think we have depth (Borgman, Carrick, Rosen, Holl, etc), what we lack the most is a guy who we can pair with Morgan, with the pair playing an effective 25 min/night. That's where Tanev comes in.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Then acquire it.
I think we have depth (Borgman, Carrick, Rosen, Holl, etc), what we lack the most is a guy who we can pair with Morgan, with the pair playing an effective 25 min/night. That's where Tanev comes in.

He can't be that guy, though. That's my point. Tanev has played a combined 95 games over the past two seasons (/164). His career high is 76GP including playoffs... and he was 25 that year. He's unlikely healthier as he gets older.

When he inevitably misses games, what then? A team like Nashville, with an already deep defense, can absorb the loss of Tanev for ~40% of the season and hope he's healthy enough to boost their team in the playoffs. Josi or Ellis can step up. For the Leafs? The loss of Tanev would put us back to square one: A first pairing of Rielly-Zaitsev or Rielly-Hainsey. That's what I mean by the Leafs not having the depth. He's injured too often to be a reliable #1RHD, and that's what Vancouver values him at.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why can't 2018/19 be another year of development....,with maybe a better ending in April or May. Grunstrom, Aaltonen, maybe Nylander at centre. Borgman, Dermot and Sparks. Why go crazy getting a bad value in a trade? Anyone really believe Tanev is a difference maker?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He can't be that guy, though. That's my point. Tanev has played a combined 95 games over the past two seasons (/164). His career high is 76GP including playoffs... and he was 25 that year. He's unlikely healthier as he gets older.

When he inevitably misses games, what then? A team like Nashville, with an already deep defense, can absorb the loss of Tanev for ~40% of the season and hope he's healthy enough to boost their team in the playoffs. Josi or Ellis can step up. For the Leafs? The loss of Tanev would put us back to square one: A first pairing of Rielly-Zaitsev or Rielly-Hainsey. That's what I mean by the Leafs not having the depth. He's injured too often to be a reliable #1RHD, and that's what Vancouver values him at.

Your concern is 100% justified; it'd definitely be a risky move...I just can't see us adding a healthy, affordable, first-pairing RHD without parting with something incredibly significant, but perhaps Dubas will surprise.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Dermott Carlson
Rielly Tanev
Borgman/Rosen/Hainsey Zaitsev

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

They need to pursue all avenues, which includes the big ticket acquisitions, the BPA's at the draft, European and College RFA's and hope some of the guys they added the past couple of years can just mature into solid NHL defensemen. Guys like Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, the Miller's, Torey Krug, they all came out of nothing acquisitions for the Bruins.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
lol we sure are greedy

just give me tavares, and im ok with top free agents not picking us for a decade, might even take 2 decades

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We have I'm assuming the highest paid scouting + management staff in the league. We shouldn't be the team trading 1st rounder+ for the aging injury prone declining assets around the league like Tanev, crossing our fingers, and hoping for the best.

We should be the team that's able to target undervalued players on other teams, bring them here and have them flourish. Vegas did it with Schmidt, Miller, Karlsson, Haula, etc. We've seen other good value trades done by Calgary/NYI/Winnipeg to acquire youngish Hamilton/Leddy/Myers, etc. Justin Schultz looks a lot better in Pittsburgh than he did in Edmonton, etc.

I don't know what the solution is, but with all the money we're pouring into management/scouting, I hope they can come up with something better than trading a bunch of valuable assets for Tanev.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Carlson is Gardiner 2.0.

Not to say I'd definitely want to sign Carlson, but I'd disagree in the sense that Carlson is a right side D (not easy to acquire, more of a team need) that plays on the PK. I think they're both currently on great contracts. Might be interesting to see what the next ones look like though.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Is it bad that I want Evander Kane?

Kane-Kadri anyone?

He's more mature now. Sharks love him. And won't cost Tavares money

Yeah no f***ing duh he'd cost less than Tavares. He's not even half as good.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Andersen (5m)
Sparks (1.2m)
---
Rielly (5m) - Carlson (8m)
Dermott (863k) - Zaitsev (4.5m)
xxxxx (925k) - Holl (1.4m)
Liljegren (925k)
---
Hyman (2.25m) - Matthews (11.25m) - Nylander (6m)
Grundstrom (925k) - Kadri (4.5m) - Marner (8.5m)
Johnsson (1.2m) - Tavares (12m) - Kapanen (2m)
xxxxx (925k) - xxxxx (925k) - xxxxx (925k)
xxxxx (925k), xxxxx (925k), Kessel (1.2m)

xxxxx = Player developed internally (Moore, Marchment, Bracco, etc.) or cheap "moneypuck" signings.
Marleau + Martin + 1st to bottom feeder looking to reach salary floor
Brown could theoretically be kept if some money is shaved elsewhere or cap goes up even further than 82 but I tried to keep it under.
Gardiner and Hainsey out as free agents.
23 man roster + Kessel buyout coming under 82m. This would be the roster we 'settle' for after losing Marleau, Martin, Brown at forward and Gardiner, Hainsey at defense from the Stanley cup team the year before..

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
i don't bloody care, you can't get one

stop hoping for santa clause and the easter bunny, it's just childish and silly

There's literally one about to sit in free agency that you can get for free - not sure how childish or silly that is, tbh

Do you know how free agency works? Fairly certain neither Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny are involved

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Worst case we pay picks to get rid of Martin and even Brown. Replace them with elc and now you have another 3.5 to work with. Very doable.

If we got jt I would bet doughty would come. He is even attainable at 10 million
Pay picks to get rid of Brown?
Seriously?
I'm hoping that's just awkward phrasing...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why can't 2018/19 be another year of development....,with maybe a better ending in April or May. Grunstrom, Aaltonen, maybe Nylander at centre. Borgman, Dermot and Sparks. Why go crazy getting a bad value in a trade? Anyone really believe Tanev is a difference maker?

This would be my off-season approach.

Stay the course, look for cheap stop gaps on the blue line (de Haan), and then reassess at this time next summer.

I think that will be the time to try and make a big move. Not right now.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This would be my off-season approach.

Stay the course, look for cheap stop gaps on the blue line (de Haan), and then reassess at this time next summer.

I think that will be the time to try and make a big move. Not right now.

Does that mean you would not open the door if Tavares came knocking ?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Of course - I was focusing more on the blueline however.

I don't think Tavares comes knocking however. I'm convinced he stays on Long Island

Convinced is a pretty strong word. What made you convinced he stays on the Island ?

member 157595

On the surface, you'd think a top-pairing RHD would be a perfect fit on this team since it is by far their greatest need. The problem is that Carlson isn't the minute-munching defensive/possession horse the Leafs really need in that spot (Doughty would be a dream scenario but he's almost certainly not an option) and due to supply and demand he's going to be massively paid this offseason. He makes the team better in the short-term but may be a Cap problem in the long term. I'm only interested if he signs a Cap-friendly deal and there's no way that's going to happen with all the possible suitors he'll have.

Tavares...I don't think he comes here. I don't think he wants the media attention. He does want to win though, so I'm definitely not convinced he stays with the Islanders yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->