Dreger: Tavares and Islanders discussing contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
That's exactly what it does though. Knicks fans are currently miserable. They still have one of the bleakest futures among NBA teams and are mired in despair. Leafs fans are currently very happy. They have one of the best futures among NHL teams and are excited about the possibilities. These situations do not mirror each other at all.

The Maple Leafs have been the Knicks for a long time.

Now they're looking more like the 76ers.

Reactions: Lahey

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Funny because people attack and mock Leafs fans because "they think every star wants to sign in Toronto lol" then when there's Leafs fans who say we don't want said player, nobody bats an eye and it's ignored.

Except that's not the point. It's actually even more arrogant because this particular Leafs' zombie came to our boards to say he doesn't want Tavares. This comment is basically two things:

1. BS because he/most of Leaf-land does want Tavares, but now that it looks like he might be staying in NY this is a troll's way of saying, "Before you reject me, I'm going to reject you."
  2. Total arrogance because the comment also intimates that Tavares would sign with the Leafs (which you confirmed is what annoys everyone about Leaf fans for thinking), but this guy is above that and "doesn't want him."

You're lying through your face if you say you don't want Tavares, and are just saying to as a cover for when a player doesn't put Toronto as the #1 location on their list.

Reactions: PWJunior

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm a fan, so I care how the team does on the ice.

However the Leafs comment that I'm commenting on is the people scoffing at the idea that we're the Yankees of the NHL because we haven't won in decades. In a lot of ways were bigger than the Yankees as a relative comparison to the leagues they play in. Success on the ice/field is not why people like myself would compare the Leafs to the Yankees. Hence the reason for discussing the value of the franchise to it's owners and league they play in.

I would suggest you step up your game if you are going to try to converse with me. I don't tolerate people who can't keep up with a premise. I'll let this one slide as a sign of goodwill.
Much like the Yankees when they play on the road against teams like Tampa Bay for example, their fans travel and fill up the stadium. When the Leafs play on the road in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, those areas are filled with Leafs fans and that's just in Canada. When the Leafs play in some USA cities like Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago Tampa Bay and Sunrise Florida, a lot of Leafs fans are at those games.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Tavares signs a contract until he gets a taste of free agency. I don't see it as being about money, between the NYI and him. He hasn't waited this long, just to sign for a little more money and forego his opportunity at getting similar money elsewhere. Maybe a better location for his family and a much better shot at winning for a long time.

The future is a huge question mark with the Islanders. Barzal is a monster player but they currently don't have the assets or players to indicate they will contend for a championship anytime over the next 5 years.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Except that's not the point. It's actually even more arrogant because this particular Leafs' zombie came to our boards to say he doesn't want Tavares. This comment is basically two things:

1. BS because he/most of Leaf-land does want Tavares, but now that it looks like he might be staying in NY this is a troll's way of saying, "Before you reject me, I'm going to reject you."
  2. Total arrogance because the comment also intimates that Tavares would sign with the Leafs (which you confirmed is what annoys everyone about Leaf fans for thinking), but this guy is above that and "doesn't want him."

You're lying through your face if you say you don't want Tavares, and are just saying to as a cover for when a player doesn't put Toronto as the #1 location on their list.

I want Tavares.

The vast majority of Toronto wants Tavares. But the difference in Toronto is that our future doesn't hinge on signing him. It would be an unexpected and incredible addition but the money we don't give him, we use to bolster our team. The only actual impact of Tavares not signing in Toronto is if he goes to Buffalo.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The future is a huge question mark with the Islanders. Barzal is a monster player but they currently don't have the assets or players to indicate they will contend for a championship anytime over the next 5 years.
As good as Barzal was this season are Islanders fans expecting him to put up 85 points for a second straight season? I would expect him to regress which happens to a lot of players in their 2nd NHL seasons, unless they are Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid and Barzal is not in their class.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still think Tavares makes it to the listening period, but wants to have his offer from the Islanders with him then, which is why they are talking contract now.

tl;dr Tavares goes into the listening period with his Islanders contract in hand so if he decides to circle back, there’s not much (if any) negotiation to be done at that point. It was also help him decide what he wants to do knowing what his offer from NYI is going to look like.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I want Tavares.

The vast majority of Toronto wants Tavares. But the difference in Toronto is that our future doesn't hinge on signing him. It would be an unexpected and incredible addition but the money we don't give him, we use to bolster our team. The only actual impact of Tavares not signing in Toronto is if he goes to Buffalo.
Forgetting about the money factor for a moment I can't see Tavares going to the Sabres. If winning is a priority for him and I assume it is, the Sabres are no where close to being a contender than the Leafs. I don't care about them having Jack Eichel and getting to draft Rasmus Dahlin.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Your just upset that notall leaf fans want Tavares, therefore can’t mock us if he re-signs.

I'm not upset at anything. I'm just chilling over here completely excited now that we have a real team president instead of inept GM.

If I was upset you'd know because you'd see me need to overcompensate by visiting another team's boards proactively proclaiming things I don't truly believe.

Reactions: PWJunior

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Better yet...I would kill to see the "best player in the 2014 NHL Draft" on the Penguins next season...

The Penguins would have to un-retire #66 before Ho-Sang would agree to the trade.

They'd also have to abolish any practices that require an alarm clock to wake you up for.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
As good as Barzal was this season are Islanders fans expecting him to put up 85 points for a second straight season? I would expect him to regress which happens to a lot of players in their 2nd NHL seasons, unless they are Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid and Barzal is not in their class.

I can’t speak for the whole fan base, but I don’t care about Barzal’s point totals.

We aren’t like some fanbases where we need things like high point totals to help us put individual players on pedestals to feel good about ourselves.

We want the Islanders to win games, if that means less points for Barzal no one is going to care.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I want Tavares.

Appreciate you admitting it. Please get your brethren to admit it as well.

The future of Toronto hinges on fixing that defense and I don't see how that's going to happen without at least one of the top forwards getting dealt (Kadri, Marner, Nylander, etc).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Penguins would have to un-retire #66 before Ho-Sang would agree to the trade.

They'd also have to abolish any practices that require an alarm clock to wake you up for.

I'd sign up to Ho-Sang changing his number to 65 and showing up on time all the time for Pitt just to watch penguin fans get a crick in their necks trying to say how they love Ho Sang all along.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Is Matthews expected to regress this season?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can’t speak for the whole fan base, but I don’t care about Barzal’s point totals.

We aren’t like some fanbases where we need things like high point totals to help us put individual players on pedestals to feel good about ourselves.

We want the Islanders to win games, if that means less points for Barzal no one is going to care.
I only mentioned that because a lot of the other times I see Barzal mentioned in different threads his 85 points was always brought up and how he can possibly be the second or third best player from the 2015 draft class.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Either he resigns on next Monday or Tuesday or he is walking. What Habs did today give the me feelings that they are going to offer a huge contract to JT, pitching that they have a very gritty team just dying for that one elite skill player to lead them to the SC. If they fails to land JT, they will go for rebuild.

The habs cap space is what kinds of worry me more than JT may go to the his home town team TML or any other potential contenders for the cup. Money is a very enticing tool and as a player in his prime who has not yet won anything and likely believe that he can turn any average team into a contender, money may really be the button that he will push for. Given that his agent has a close relationship with the Habs GM who has shown so much interest in JT since last summer, I am a bit worry that the rumor that he may go there all year may turn out true.

If I am Lou, I will try to sign him next week and not let him go to the interview window, especially with the Habs. He may pick TML if not staying with Isles but I think the money Habs will offer will be the deciding factor. No other teams in the NHL has as much financing backing, passionate fans, and at the same time needs a true #1 center as much the Habs. He also already has some friends on that team so it would not be surprising that he goes there.

However I really hope JT will come back to Isles but I think it will cost the team (max to what NHL allows).

811605-pk-subban-avait-air-bien.jpg

The media in Montreal and Marc Bergevin screwed PK Subban. Tavares and Subban are friends. I can't see Tavares passing on the opportunity to win for a little more money. Montreal would have to offer $13M+ to make up for the disaster of a situation they're currently in.

If a team like the NYI, Maple Leafs, Blues or Stars comes in anywhere near $12M, I think Montreal loses the money advantage they supposedly have.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd sign up to Ho-Sang changing his number to 65 and showing up on time all the time for Pitt just to watch penguin fans get a crick in their necks trying to say how they love Ho Sang all along.

I, for one, would love him when he leads WBS to the Calder Cup. :sarcasm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is Matthews expected to regress this season?
You can say Matthews did a little this past season because he was unlucky with injuries, scored 6 less goals compared to his rookie season and 6 less total points. However he happened to be a PPG player this season and at one point he was on pace for a 45 goal and 80 point season if it wasn't for his injuries.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
811605-pk-subban-avait-air-bien.jpg

The media in Montreal and Marc Bergevin screwed PK Subban. Tavares and Subban are friends. I can't see Tavares passing on the opportunity to win for a little more money. Montreal would have to offer $13M+ to make up for the disaster of a situation they're currently in.

If a team like the NYI, Maple Leafs, Blues or Stars comes in anywhere near $12M, I think Montreal loses the money advantage they supposedly have.

But what "money advantage" does Montreal (or any Canadian team) have when you take into account the Canadian dollar?

Answer: They don't.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm a fan, so I care how the team does on the ice.

However the Leafs comment that I'm commenting on is the people scoffing at the idea that we're the Yankees of the NHL because we haven't won in decades. In a lot of ways were bigger than the Yankees as a relative comparison to the leagues they play in. Success on the ice/field is not why people like myself would compare the Leafs to the Yankees. Hence the reason for discussing the value of the franchise to it's owners and league they play in.

I would suggest you step up your game if you are going to try to converse with me. I don't tolerate people who can't keep up with a premise. I'll let this one slide as a sign of goodwill.

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You can say Matthews did a little this past season because he was unlucky with injuries, scored 6 less goals compared to his rookie season and 6 less total points. However he happened to be a PPG player this season and at one point he was on pace for a 45 goal and 80 point season if it wasn't for his injuries.

Okay, but my point was why is it a guarantee Barzal will regress while other team's top young guns don't seem to have that issue?

It seems to falsely assume the Isles are a less desirable situation for Tavares because his supporting cast won't be as good, whereas if he went to Toronto he'd be playing with a bunch of youngsters guaranteed to get better and better.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Appreciate you admitting it. Please get your brethren to admit it as well.

The future of Toronto hinges on fixing that defense and I don't see how that's going to happen without at least one of the top forwards getting dealt (Kadri, Marner, Nylander, etc).

I don't have the ability to speak for other fans of my team and I can't get them to admit anything. Sorry.

The Maple Leafs have a shit load of money to play with. They also have a ton of young prospects. It is possible to improve the defence without trading a core forward. You can win a Stanley Cup without a Drew Doughty or Victor Hedman.

The addition of a Tavares alone would help the overall team defence. Puck possession with Matthews, Tavares and Kadri down the middle would be a significant relief on the group of defencemen they currently project to have next season.

The Maple Leafs have so much cap space over the next few years that even while signing Matthews, Marner and Nylander to their new contracts, they'll have $15M+ to improve their team without losing any core players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->