Tanner Kero and Erik Gustafsson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs fan here,

For my fantasy league, we have the chance to draft either guys that were just drafted 1 week ago, or guys that were never drafted in our league and Kero and Guastafsson fits the bill. But our league also works by how the guy performs in the NHL as far as being able to adjust his ratings again.

So.....I need to know what you guys think about Kero's and Gustafsson potential this upcoming year. Do you guys see them with a legitimate chance at making the team? Any chance they have a more offensive role to fill in IF they do make it?

Main point is mostly to know if they'll make it no matter the role...and if it will be long term and not just a try, talking mostly about Kero here though I see on your website that you already have 9 d-men on the roster....Do you guys hear about the possibility to trade them too?

Thanks for responding.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Don't think Gus makes it. With the Campbell and Kempny signings, Gustafsson no longer has much of a spot on the lineup. I'd assume he will inevitably be traded away for forward depth or picks/prospects.

Kero has a decent shot (i'd say better than 50/50) of making the team however. Definitely not a lock, but he got 17 games with next to no previous pro experience last year. He performed well in Rockford and seemed to stay out of Joel's doghouse when he was in Chicago. Also he's cheap and can play LW/C.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think Gustafsson is #8 defenseman now because Q likes Rozsival, but I can see him getting chances if there are injuries, because he can play both sides.

Kero is 60-40 in my mind for making the roster. I can see him third/fourth line winger or center. He was good in his previous stunt.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What would be point of Gus as #7? Sitting in press box half the season wont develop his game

Rozy has nothing to do with Gus NHL roster status ,, He lost spot when Campbell and Kemny deals were signed

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Think Kero has more upside for this season in that I give him a better chance to make the team. I'm higher on Gus long term though

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What would be point of Gus as #7? Sitting in press box half the season wont develop his game

Rozy has nothing to do with Gus NHL roster status ,, He lost spot when Campbell and Kemny deals were signed

I agree with all of this.

Rozy (and I'll throw Sved in as well) are just fine at being a #7 defensemen who will hopefully get no more than 40ish games in a season.

Gus has good potential, but we have enough LD's on this team right now. He'll hardly ever play and it'd be a waste to have him (as a 24 year old) sit in Rockford another year.

Best off trading him and enjoying whatever we get back.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I would not trade Gustafsson because we don't know how Kempny is going to play AND if we are lucky enough, Goose could take Campbell's spot after next year if Forsling is not ready.

And who the hell said Gustafsson is #7? Nobody.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I would not trade Gustafsson because we don't know how Kempny is going to play AND if we are lucky enough, Goose could take Campbell's spot after next year if Forsling is not ready.

And who the hell said Gustafsson is #7? Nobody.

You said Gus was #8 now, which is even worse than #7. Especially when we may not be able to afford having 8 defensemen on the roster at one time.

Bowman is high on Kempny, and so are many NHL insiders (Dredger had said that some view him as a #4 or #5 dman as early as this year).

Rozsival's signing, after Q (Rosie's biggest fan) played Rundblad in the playoffs instead, is a sign of how Bowman feels about Kempny (because Kempny doesn't speak English, so having a fellow countrymen here for him helps the transition).

Campbell is also high on the idea of resigning with the Hawks next year. And unless he falls off a cliff performance wise or decides he wants more cash, it'd be in our best interest to resign him.

And even then, Bowman and the front office are also high on Forsling. I'd be very surprised if Forsling doesn't make this roster in 2017.

Roster moves this offseason has made Gustafsson redundant on this team.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
You said Gus was #8 now, which is even worse than #7. Especially when we may not be able to afford having 8 defensemen on the roster at one time.

Yes, I said that Gustafsson is a #8 defenseman, but does that mean that I said he sits in the pressbox? No. He is the first one who replaces injuries, even over Rozsival who is #7 because his veteran status and what Q thinks about him. I don't agree with Q, but that is how it will work.

I am high on Kempny because I have easier access to watch KHL games because I am from Finland, so I've seen him play besides World's. He is great and I think he could be good shut down guy with Hjalmarsson. He reminds me of Keith with little more physicality. Keith is superior of course.

I don't like the idea of resigning Campbell if I'd have to decide it now. Don't get me wrong, I like the signing even though I still don't think we needed another D, but with that money you sign Campbell everyday of the week. But next summer is next summer, hopefully this season plays out and he resigns with another cheap contract.

Forsling's biggest problem is his lack of speed, like Pokka's. I hope that he can develop it in Sweden because there is 99% chance that he goes back to Sweden (I think it was Scott Powers who reported that he would go back to Sweden if he doesn't get spot with the Blackhawks). I'm really high with him too, but he was really slow in the U20, like Pokka-slow.

So in conclusion, including the report that Quenneville & Bowman likes the idea of having at least 10 Dman in the organisation who can play in NHL, I would not trade Gustafsson because he has shown NHL potential in NHL. If you trade someone, you trade Pokka. I think Goose's ceiling is much higher than Pokka's but Pokka has more value in market right now. That is my opinion though.

Sorry for my misspellings if there are any. :)

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Two problems with all that Migi.

1. Gustafsson wouldn't play much if he was only set to play in relief of an injured player. Even if he could play 40 games this year, that's still low for someone of his age and skill.

It's a waste of his talents. Again, we'd be better off trading him for forward depth/prospects. He'd be happier as well if he was traded to a team that could actually use him as an everyday player.

2. I've read the same quotes from Bowman about having around 10 defensemen in the system who can hope into the NHL.

That quote is ******** spin by Bowman. We haven't had any season in the Toews/Kane/Keith era where we had 10 different defensemen who could actually contribute in the NHL in a single season.

Sure, we have guys in the AHL who could theoretically play in the NHL if needed. But Rosie is our #7 right now and most of us feel he's a detriment. Rundblad, Ehroff, and Scuderi all spent time in those 10 spots last year, and all were terrible players who none of us cared for (especially Q). Definitely a different situation to a player like Gustafsson.

Gustafsson would be a waste in any role that wasn't in the top 6. Unfortunate, but that's what happens with solid defensive depth.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Fair arguments, I'd like to think that Gustafsson could play in Rockford first pair role with Pokka and if there are injuries with Blackhawks, he would fill in.

But as you said, I would trade him and even Pokka too if there are good forwards available who could fill our holes right away. I don't know is there though and I still assume that Bowman is not going to trade them, at least in summer. I guess I hope I'm wrong, if the return is good.

Someone posted here Pokka for Kapanen, I would not do it. Maybe this is because I'm from Finland, but I don't see Kapanen ever as a top 6 winger in NHL. For Finland's sake I hope I'm wrong with this too. :)

I would do Pokka for Yakupov and even add a third. I am also interested in JG Pageau from Senators, but highly doubt that Pokka even with Goose would get us him.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I thought Kero was pretty good all things considered. He showed promise on the PK and when he was paired for a few games with Dano and Hartman that line had a lot of energy and was good on the forecheck. Was hoping that line would get a longer look but then Mashinter and Rasmussen started to play and that was that.

I hope Kero and Hartman are out there opening night but I wouldn't be surprised if its Rasmussen and Mashinter again.......

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wow thanks a lot guys for your answers....but one thing is pretty clear after that....no one out of those guys are a sure bet for anything. I'm in the 3rd round so...I might go for a pure prospect and see if those guys are there in the 4th. I have 2 picks there. Thanks a lot for your answers so far!

Chad Krys is still available for me so I might stay in the Hawks family....though I love Adam Fox too.....

needle

Apr 30, 2012
Kempny's spot on the roster is far from guaranteed.

#1-5 is Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, Campbell, TvR. There are 4 guys fighting for #6-7; Rozi, Gus, Svedberg, Kempny.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Fantasy points

Gus was OK last year all things considered. He's definitely 5-8, however. Kero will most likely spend most of his time in Rockford with, potentially, a few injury call-ups.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kempny's spot on the roster is far from guaranteed.

#1-5 is Keith, Seabrook, Hammer, Campbell, TvR. There are 4 guys fighting for #6-7; Rozi, Gus, Svedberg, Kempny.

Rumor is that Kempny has a clause in his contract that he can back to KHL if he doesn't make the team (similar to the Panarin contract). Bowman is also very high on Kempny.

Not to mention that with Campbell, the Hawks should have more than enough PP guys. Gus wouldn't get much (or any) special team time.

Rozsival is a damn near lock but Gus is far from it. Same goes for Svedberg, who ended up in Rockford by the end of last season.

So it shouldn't be hard for Kempny to get a spot. That and I suspect that resigning Rozsival was to help Kempny transition to the states (he doesn't speak a lick of English).

needle

Apr 30, 2012
Same goes for Svedberg, who ended up in Rockford by the end of last season.

Svedberg played in 3 of 7 games in the playoffs last year for the Hawks. Gus played in 5 of 7. Granted Rudnblad played in 3 of 7 as well even though he spent most of the year in the Alps.

So it shouldn't be hard for Kempny to get a spot. That and I suspect that resigning Rozsival was to help Kempny transition to the states (he doesn't speak a lick of English).

Rozi is clearly the #7. I don't see any reason why Kempny is a favorite over Gus and Svedberg for the #6 spot though. I'd love to see him opening night, but with this coaching staff it's a tossup.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Kempny is going to be on the opening night roster and will play as many games as he can this season. U haven't watched enough hockey if you don't know that. He's easily a 5 in this league with upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad