Tanknation - Is the Population Zero ?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i wouldn't be opposed to tanking. does this draft have good d prospects beside dahlin?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not to mention, when it comes to D men, it's not as if top 10 picks are the ideal place to find them.

A quick glance throughout recent Norris winners and nominees shows there's a pretty high amount of guys taken in the 2nd round or later. And lots of guys taken in the mid to late half of the first round.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
The only thing that would have made sense this summer was resigning Brian Boyle(don't know why we didn't) and replacing or resigning Hunwick. We didn't need to spend every dime we had.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Still think this is a playoff team. They'e not as good as they were in the first 8 games, and not as bad as they'e been since then.

When they turn it around it'll be a big learning point for the kids.

Tired of tanking. I beleaf .

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think anyone wants to see this team tank it, but if things go horribly wrong at least it's a safety net that allows them to bank another premier asset. The upside is a crack at another top 3 pick and probably cheaper contracts for at least 2 of the 3 big guns. Just has to be managed properly.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
There's always going to be a big prospect everybody wants, you can't just keep tanking over and over for every shiny new prospect that comes along. We have Auston frigging Matthews, not to mention Nylander, Marner, Liljegren, Dermott, and a ton of forward depth. The time for tanking is over, we need to be happy with what we have and move forward.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not on the tank, but wish it was another play the kids year instead of keeping/signing all our upcoming UFA vets

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I only want to see tanking when we are officially out of the playoffs...hopefully not again in my lifetime.....

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
There's always going to be a big prospect everybody wants, you can't just keep tanking over and over for every shiny new prospect that comes along. We have Auston frigging Matthews, not to mention Nylander, Marner, Liljegren, Dermott, and a ton of forward depth. The time for tanking is over, we need to be happy with what we have and move forward.

Honestly, I just want to draft a stud D. Most times have at least a very good number one, I just want to draft that, and after I don't care.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I love how pretty much everybody acknowledges that we desperately need defensive help. But at the same time they say in this thread that tanking "ended the second we drafted Matthews".

And that's the precise problem. It took TWELVE FREAKING YEARS for management to FINALLY admit we need to do a top to bottom rebuild with "no shortcuts". But drafting Matthews for some reason ruined that.

So here we are with a rushed rebuild, and DESPERATELY lacking young defensive and goaltending depth.

But realistically, imo, tank nation ended when Marleau was signed. It was as clear a sign as possible showing that management was done with the rebuild.

And now, instead of having the foundations of an "elite" team, we have the foundations of a "decent" team.

Reactions: 666

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I love how pretty much everybody acknowledges that we desperately need defensive help. But at the same time they say in this thread that tanking "ended the second we drafted Matthews".

And that's the precise problem. It took TWELVE FREAKING YEARS for management to FINALLY admit we need to do a top to bottom rebuild with "no shortcuts". But drafting Matthews for some reason ruined that.

So here we are with a rushed rebuild, and DESPERATELY lacking young defensive and goaltending depth.

But realistically, imo, tank nation ended when Marleau was signed. It was as clear a sign as possible showing that management was done with the rebuild.

And now, instead of having the foundations of an "elite" team, we have the foundations of a "decent" team.

Tanking isn't necessarily going to get you a top pairing d man.

Looking at Norris winners/nominees a fair number of them come out of the 2nd round or later, or even the mid-late 1st round. Even before the Marleau signing the Leafs were too good to bottom out anyways.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Forget about this year but even last year there were hardly any fans that wanted us to tank - you can still those on Oilers forum (and I was really surprised to see that)

i'm not. the whole inane concept of tank nation is a loser mindset and attitude. losing breeds losers and winning breeds winners.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

member 262271

i'm not. the whole inane concept of tank nation is a loser mindset and attitude. losing breeds losers and winning breeds winners.
Thank you. Even if you score a really good player, you're on a trajectory of being terrible. Sure the playoff berth set the bar a bit high, but is it better to have not experienced that? Better to have been hopeless for another year?

Reactions: Iapyi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad