Tanking in the NBA

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think it is a problem personally and I'm at the point where I would just say even odds for all the non playoff teams. I just think it's a bad system when it's in the best interest of 8-10 teams to lose. I realize that there's pros and cons to any system. I just think it's time to stop rewarding losing on purpose.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
I think they have to change the whole salary cap model. The Warriors and Cavs have about $135 million in cap when the "salary cap" is at $99million. They do a hard cap and I think more star players will be spread throughout the league. I think its hard because one individual player can control the game more than any sport. The Oilers won't be making the playoffs with McDavid on the team. Seems bizarre to me but then you remember there's 18 skaters and a goalie every game. So teams are hoping to hit the jackpot at the draft with a star player

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think the only sure fire way would be to implement relagation, but that will never happen. The league could set up something like de-facto relegation where a certain number of teams (say, bottom 4) would automatically be excluded from the playoffs the following season. So teams might be less willing to throw away a season if they know it will be at least 2 years before they can qualify for the playoffs. Short of that, maybe even the lottery odds a bit more. I don't think it would be fair to give all lottery teams the same odds though.

That said, and I know I'm a bit biased here, as ugly as recent seasons have been with the Sixers I don't think the league is complaining about them now. They're going to be a big draw both live and televised for a bunch of years to come.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think they have to change the whole salary cap model. The Warriors and Cavs have about $135 million in cap when the "salary cap" is at $99million. They do a hard cap and I think more star players will be spread throughout the league. I think its hard because one individual player can control the game more than any sport. The Oilers won't be making the playoffs with McDavid on the team. Seems bizarre to me but then you remember there's 18 skaters and a goalie every game. So teams are hoping to hit the jackpot at the draft with a star player

Hard cap will even things up.

If you are going to keep soft cap then you need harsher penalties for those teams going over it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
What's your proposition then?

At this point, I'd just give every team that misses the playoffs equal chances of winning the lottery. I'm tired of the system rewarding losing.

I'd rather see some team like the Pistons get lucky and win the lottery than rewarding the teams that are intentionally losing.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
At this point, I'd just give every team that misses the playoffs equal chances of winning the lottery. I'm tired of the system rewarding losing.

I'd rather see some team like the Pistons get lucky and win the lottery than rewarding the teams that are intentionally losing.
So how do bad teams get better?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If you remove an incentive to lose you also have to have harsher punishments for teams that go over the cap. Goes hand in hand.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you remove an incentive to lose you also have to have harsher punishments for teams that go over the cap. Goes hand in hand.
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how I feel about the hard cap honestly.

Isn't part of the rationale behind bird rights and allowing teams to go over the cap too keep there own guys?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how I feel about the hard cap honestly.

Isn't part of the rationale behind bird rights and allowing teams to go over the cap too keep there own guys?

Keep the soft cap just implement harsher penalties.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
To me the hard cap vs soft cap thing is interesting, but I don't see what it has to do with tanking.

I mean, it's related to a degree, but teams choose to lose because of how the lottery is set up, rewarding worse teams with increased odds the worse your record is. If next year there was a hard cap, teams would still be incentivized to lose (I realize the odds change some next year).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sixers completed the biggest tank job in NBA history and its starting to show the results, no wonder teams want to tank.

With smaller market teams its their only way to acquire stars. Look at the T-Wolves, they knew they'd never be able to sign a big ticket free agent so they tanked, drafted one star, traded one of their existing stars for a top prospect and then traded another lottery pick for a third star.

Players are so ring-obsessed these days that you'll almost never see a top free agent sign with anyone outside of a short list of Lakers/Cavs/Heat/Mavs/Spurs/Warriors/Rockets/Knicks/Celtics etc. Gone are the days of teams like the Magic signing Grant Hill and then nearly signing Duncan.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
So how do bad teams get better?

Investing in scouting and developing. Tanking and collecting top 3 picks shouldn't automatically make a team better. If a bad team wants to get better they should make whichever pick they have worth while. This isn' directed just at the NBA but at professional sports in general. Look at the Oilers for example, they have been getting top picks for years but it hasn't led them anywhere in part because of their inability to develop their players after their top picks. People look at the hawks as a reason to tank but if you look at their core only Toews and Kane were top 3 picks, guys like Seabrook, Saad and Keith weren't can't miss prospects, they were developed.

The intentions of rewarding lower seed teams seems logical but only if all teams are playing the same game (trying to compete to win), the system is broken when teams are taking advantage of it by internationally not competing. Those teams shouldn't be rewarded top picks for being bad because they didn't try to be good.

Is there a perfect system? No but there are alternatives they are surely better for ensuring competitive sports are actually competitive and for ensuring teams that deserve high picks have a good shot at it (teams who try to be good but just aren't).

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The crappy thing is I don't think you can fix it without screwing over a team that actually needs the help. If you try and change the odds, you risking screwing a team like say, Memphis. They're god awful, but certainly not on purpose and actually trying to win games.

Look at the Avalanche last year. Honest to god awful team gets absolutely robbed of a top 3 pick and instead the system gives the picks to Dallas and Philly, neither of which were in desperate need of help

I say like, sort the odds by worst team per usual, but have like the 3 or 4 worst play for the pick.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
You can't say the Sixers have "completed" their tank job until they are one of the elite teams in the league with this core. Tanking is appalling and should never be emulated.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Part of the reason teams tank is because of there being three or four superteams that nobody can compete with anyway, well one superteam and a handful other really good teams. What incentive do teams have to win when you'll never break into that top tier? So it's just easier to punt. Even teams like Atlanta that win 55-60 games a year a few years back (or the Thibodeau Bulls) are never a real threat in the playoffs without the great players who all want to play with each other now.

It's not like tanking is incentivized per se, there are seldom ready-made difference-makers in the draft anymore and the lottery itself seems like it screws over more teams than it benefits (i.e. the worst team doesn't usually get the top pick). I think you have to solve the whole stars joining up with each other problem before you can change tanking, the lack of parity at the top is the bigger issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad