Rebuild conversation # 172

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Ok, I'm onboard. 30 games in. 6.1% chance of making the playoffs.

Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

It's been a difficult transition to accept that the best outcome for this season and last, and possibly next is to finish very low. We need the elite players that only really come from drafting high. So, I've made this thread to give myself and other posters a place to cheer our demise.

I'd ask a few things of the posters in this thread. This is not a thread to discuss how we got here, or to complain about being here. This is to track and discuss our position in the standings. Let's not get into back and forth conversations that could be discussed in every other thread every posted here.

We can however cheer for production of players that we could use as trade bait to grab picks. For the purpose of real life and this thread, Zetterberg and Kronwall will not be traded.

So, I'm gonna look at a window of 4 points up and 4 points below us. As games are played, this window will change. Let's not concern ourselves with teams outside this scope. If a team comes in or out of the window, we'll add or subtract them from the tracker.

Rank. Team Games - Points (Row)

20. BOS 27 - 32 (13)
21. VAN 32 - 32 (14)
22. COL 29 - 30 (13)
23. MTL 31 - 30 (12)
24. PHI 29 - 29 (11)
25. CAR 29 - 29 (9)
26. FLA 30 - 28 (10)

27. DET 30 - 28 (9)
28. EDM 30 - 26 (12)
29. OTT 28 - 25 (8)

Detroit does not play tonight. 6 of the 9 teams being tracked are in action tonight. They are shown in bold above.

No team can pass Detroit tonight. But with a Florida loss, Detroit could move to 26th, due to games played.

With 6 games on tap, the tank tracker is hoping for 4 of those to go for / against (??) us.

With increasing trade value being a consideration, which players could we track within this thread, hoping they up their value?

Green?
Nyquist?

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Good thread. Thanks for creating.

I think Green goes for a late 1st rounder. Nyquist/Tatar, not so sure what happens with them.
Booth hopefully gets traded for a late rounder. A playoff team might like to have some cheap depth.

I think Wiz stays because he can play both forward and D. Cheap bundle of hate that fans find entertaining.

Frk might get the Jurco type deal?
AA should be traded if he has no intentions of staying with Detroit.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'd like to see them hammer out early January trades, if at all possible.

Of the guys already mentioned, I would only hesitate to trade Frk. To the names mentioned, I would add a goalie.

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Yeah Green should be gone. Our best trade chip in years. Let's hope for a return that helps us in the future.

One would hope that either Nyq or Tatar are traded for something that helps us. I like Tatar, I hope he stays. But yes, hopefully one of the two are moved.

Booth should be moved if he can be. He's been a good soldier and might be his last crack at some playoff fun.

Frk, for what you would receive back I don't know it's worth trading him.

Witkow, I like. Great 4th liner. Can skate, hit and fight. No reason to get rid of him.

I kind of look at Neilson as a possible trade asset, but likely that's a year or two away.

As for a goalie, agreed. To just continue along and lose Mrazek for nothing suuucks.

But all that being said, it's not so much about who I would trade but the general consensus of who we should look at as a trade asset this year.

So... Green, Nyquist or Tatar, Booth, a goalie or two.

Is that a good list?

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Green is a goner. He is the best available dman and quite possibly will be the best available player come the deadline. He will easily fetch a first and likely more depending on number of suitors.

I can see mrazek also going

I dont see tatar or nyquist traded despite how smart it eould be

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Theres a lot of pretty mediocre teams this season, and two terrible ones in Buffalo and Arizona. I hope we start making trades ASAP to finish as low as possible. We probably wont finish below Arizona or Buffalo but we can definitely outsuck the rest of the competition. It also gives us the opportunity to take longer looks at some prospects.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Green is a goner. He is the best available dman and quite possibly will be the best available player come the deadline. He will easily fetch a first and likely more depending on number of suitors.

I can see mrazek also going

I dont see tatar or nyquist traded despite how smart it eould be

I doubt anyone would want mrazek. I really hope Green will be dealt, but he has to up his game a bit again... just from watching games and no stats, i have the feeling he's turning the puck over at a very high rate at the moment. Hopefully his value doesn't drop at the same rate as his game does

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings should trade away Green, Nyquist, Tatar sooner rather than later. The only thing we should be cheering for is getting the best possible odds to land a top three pick.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Like the idea of the thread. Tracking it will be nice, but I'm not sure hoping they lose is the right idea.

With this team, us fans don't have to hope.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Green, Tatar is easier to move than Nyquist who would have to waive a full NTC, and I could see them moving Frk if an offer is presented worth Holland's while.

I can't see them trading both Tatar and Nyquist but definitely could see one, I like tats more so I'd rather he stay but his contract was negotiated with this season and his last season's TDL in mind.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Nyquist, Green, Daley, and Abdelkader all should be on the block yesterday. The team should be listening to any offers for Tatar, Frk and AA. I honestly hope Abby keeps up the 50+ point production and he becomes this year's Paul Gaustad.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Nyquist, Green, Daley, and Abdelkader all should be on the block yesterday. The team should be listening to any offers for Tatar, Frk and AA. I honestly hope Abby keeps up the 50+ point production and he becomes this year's Paul Gaustad.

Disagree about Daley. If Wings lose Kronwall, Green and Ericsson all by the start of next season, they'll be up shit creek with no help on D.

You're not throwing 4 rookie Dmen to the wolves to eat minutes. That's not even the slightest bit practical.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
"Our guys have total trust in each other doing their jobs and I think that's why we've played well, even though we haven't gotten results."

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
"Our guys have total trust in each other doing their jobs and I think that's why we've played well, even though we haven't gotten results."
Great but Holland said if they don't get the results he's willing to make the moves to reflect that. He said the next 10-15 games would tell them what they'll do, 1-1-1 since then.

Apparently that's the interview he was out of touch with reality though.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Like the idea of the thread. Tracking it will be nice, but I'm not sure hoping they lose is the right idea.

Yeah it seems too early in the season to be cheering for loses but they’ve won 1 game in the last 10. They have a 6% chance of making in the playoffs. Personally, I need a reason to pay attention. I usually watch all 82 games. This year I’m watching them sometimes. When I watch I hope they win. But if they lose, that’s ok too.

If they can turn things around I’ll be happy to put up a “trying to make the playoff” tracker.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Also, some conflicting goals with this team right now. I think all of us want to see guys like Larkin, Mantha, and AA have strong seasons. But we also want to see guys like Green, Nyquist, Tatar, etc. have strong seasons so they have higher trade value. But if the majority of both of those groups have good seasons, we're not going to keep losing like this.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Do we want buffalo or Ottawa to win tonight's game? On one hand theres a chance Ottawa turns it around and runs away from us but if they don't they'll be competing with us all season. Also, who cares if buffalo keeps losing its we're probably not going to drop below them anyway. On the other hand, theres a slim possibility we could drop below buffalo by seasons end so we'd like them to start winning but that means Ottawa losing.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Do we want buffalo or Ottawa to win tonight's game? On one hand theres a chance Ottawa turns it around and runs away from us but if they don't they'll be competing with us all season. Also, who cares if buffalo keeps losing its we're probably not going to drop below them anyway. On the other hand, theres a slim possibility we could drop below buffalo by seasons end so we'd like them to start winning but that means Ottawa losing.

Yeah. I seen that game. Buffalo is 8 points back. To look at the “4 pt window” I guess Ottawa is more of a current target but if Buff wins that’s good as well. Can also root for the 3 point game.

Currently, it’s 3 zip Buffalo.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It seems that greater parity in the league results in a much later threshold of when teams know whether they're a buyer or seller. I say that because, while Green should be a slam dunk as at least a late 1st rounder in return, it might be difficult to find a buyer for a Nyquist/Tatar, or even a Booth, since the lion's share of the league will be in the camp of, 'we COULD make the playoffs...I think'.

If there's a flurry of activity, I'd expect it to be at the very last minute before the deadline. In addition to hoping that Detroit is a significant seller, I hope that they are very patient/thorough in burning up the phone lines to get the best deal possible in each attempted trade.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Disagree about Daley. If Wings lose Kronwall, Green and Ericsson all by the start of next season, they'll be up **** creek with no help on D.

You're not throwing 4 rookie Dmen to the wolves to eat minutes. That's not even the slightest bit practical.

You can get Daleys in every off-season. Trade Daley for a 3rd or a 4th and pick up another Daley-esque defenseman in the off-season.

Reactions: Syckle78 and njx9

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Disagree about Daley. If Wings lose Kronwall, Green and Ericsson all by the start of next season, they'll be up **** creek with no help on D.

How the hell are the Wings going to lose Ericsson?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How the hell are the Wings going to lose Ericsson?

Ericsson suffers from a hip impingement, which is caused by abnormal wearing between the ball and socket of the hip joint. It results in increased friction during hip movements that may damage the joint.

“It's supposed to be a round socket that goes into the hip, and that's not round right now,” Ericsson said. “It's, like, square. I just try to deal with it as good as possible. Before I knew what it was, after some games, I had a hard time walking. [...]

He said he also suffers from arthritis in his hip(s).

Basically he's playing through a lot of pain and many here have speculated he could be a candidate for LTIR sooner than later. He has looked good this season so far. Maybe he is feeling good right now? But it could just as quickly go south for him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad