Proposal: Tanev + Baerstchi for Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
I'm not a fan of either team, and I would love to see this deal happen. It makes Toronto worse and it's no where close to enough to help out the Canucks to any significant degree. In fact, it might make both teams worse. Get 'er done.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If the Leafs are forced to trade Marner and it has to be Vancouver... I ask for Horvat and Juolevi.

but in reality Marner is a Leaf for quite some time.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
It's pretty drastically far off. Tanev isn't anywhere close to the value of Marner.

The Bozak line has been garbage defensively and someone has to be the scapegoat. Babcock's not going to screw over JVR/Bozak, long-time veterans of the team in their contract year. Otherwise, who the hell would want to play here? It sends a message that they all need to be better.

No different than Nylander last year. Except Babcock is harder on the young guys and has always acknowledged different players have different expectations.

No interest in Baertschi either. Let's just hope this thread quietly goes to waste before it goes downhill.
Sheesh buddy....
You didn't need to think out 4 paragraphs to say "no thanks" lol

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Marner might be the most overrated player in this league, one good season with 61 points and he is automatically amazing and worth the world? Oh wait plays for the Leafs. Ooops

Mar 26, 2010
Chris Tanev would be hard pressed to crack your top 4?

LMAO

No he would not crack the top 4.
Lol wut?

Tanev would fetch something like a 2nd + B prospect, maybe a late 1st. No chance he's getting someone like Marner.

Do people even think before coming up with crap like this?
Tanev won’t even return a second. He is slow, injury prone and useless.

Marner.... yeah f***ing right. Lol

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Tanev is actually a great skater, but I understand the struggle of trying to evaluate players I’ve rarely seen. Maybe every once in a while you have a couple coffees and stay up until 10:00 so you can have an informed opinion.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Time to debunk some nonsense.

1) Boeser is far ahead of Kapanen. He already has 2 goals, and 2 assists and running in 3 games so far. His third game played isn't even over yet. He may notch another point.

2)Horvat isn't a Kadri equivalent. Horvat has put up 40 points at the age of 21 starting on the 4th line for the season while Kadri wasn't nearly as good. Kadri at age 21 is complete fodder to Horvat at age 21.

3)Baertschi is a top 6 forward, not a third liner. He was on pace for second line production last year, and is currently playing good hockey in the past 2 games. and it's clear you don't watch a single game of Baertschi as a Canuck if you honestly believe he's "suspect defensively". He's solid defensively.

4)For the last time, Tanev isn't a bloody second line pairing D. It's clear you don't look at the stats nor do you watch the player perform on the ice. He's a top pairing D, elite shot surpressor, with some offensive skills (primarily his break outlet passe are a strength, and his shot has improved) , and is great at skating and on the rush. Expecting him to return seconds and lesser picks, is BS, and an insult to Tanev's value. Hainsey may be playing good right now, but he's clearly not on Tanev's tier. and hasn't been been for the past three years.

I can see why the Leafs refuse this proposal, but don't post stupid shit to lower the value of Canucks player and expect it would fly here.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Time to debunk some nonsense.

1) Boeser is far ahead of Kapanen. He already has 2 goals, and 2 assists and running in 3 games so far. His third game played isn't even over yet. He may notch another point.

2)Horvat isn't a Kadri equivalent. Horvat has put up 40 points at the age of 21 starting on the 4th line for the season while Kadri wasn't nearly as good. Kadri at age 21 is complete fodder to Horvat at age 21.

3)Baertschi is a top 6 forward, not a third liner. He was on pace for second line production last year, and is currently playing good hockey in the past 2 games. and it's clear you don't watch a single game of Baertschi as a Canuck if you honestly believe he's "suspect defensively". He's solid defensively.

4)For the last time, Tanev isn't a bloody second line pairing D. It's clear you don't look at the stats nor do you watch the player perform on the ice. He's a top pairing D, elite shot surpressor, with some offensive skills (primarily his break outlet passe are a strength, and his shot has improved) , and is great at skating and on the rush. Expecting him to return seconds and lesser picks, is BS, and an insult to Tanev's value. Hainsey may be playing good right now, but he's clearly not on Tanev's tier. and hasn't been been for the past three years.

I can see why the Leafs refuse this proposal, but don't post stupid **** to lower the value of Canucks player and expect it would fly here.

1) He's ahead because he plays in the NHL. No one really said otherwise.

2) Kadri put up 44 points in 48 games when he was 22..which would be Horvat's equivalent year this season. He's had his ups and downs but last season, put up ~30+30 against top quality competition and Komarov/Brown on his line. What's insulting about an equivalency with that in mind? What has Horvat done to put him up and above that? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

3) Baertschi is alright, he wouldn't make the Leafs because of our winger depth. He's not a bad player.

4) Hainsey is playing well right now. Tanev has more pedigree on him. I don't think anyone argues Tanev doesn't have more value. Hainsey has to prove it for longer but genuinely, has always had non-sheltered minutes and has fared pretty well all things considered.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
1) He's ahead because he plays in the NHL. No one really said otherwise.

2) Kadri put up 44 points in 48 games when he was 22..which would be Horvat's equivalent year this season. He's had his ups and downs but last season, put up ~30+30 against top quality competition and Komarov/Brown on his line. What's insulting about an equivalency with that in mind? What has Horvat done to put him up and above that? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

3) Baertschi is alright, he wouldn't make the Leafs because of our winger depth. He's not a bad player.

4) Hainsey is playing well right now. Tanev has more pedigree on him. I don't think anyone argues Tanev doesn't have more value. Hainsey has to prove it for longer but genuinely, has always had non-sheltered minutes and has fared pretty well all things considered.

1)Some seem to believe they are of equal value.

2) Fair enough. However, Horvat was much better than Kadri at age 21. Two tiers better.

3)Agreed.

4)Agreed. Some of your fellow Leaf fans seem to believe Hainsey has more value, or is better. Which is obviously ridiculous that they have such mindsets. You on the other hand seem to be an objective person for the most part compared to them. I don't see Hainsey maintaining this pace given his age. He played a lengthy playoff series and will likely fizzle out.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Tanev is not for sale, thats why we want such an overpayment. He is also our best over all D in spite of his lack of points. He means a lot to this organization as an asset.

Marner shouldn't be available unless it is for an equally young, promising player. Tanev, as much as I like him, is not 20. That's not an insult, that's objective.

This was clearly a troll thread, were all suckers for looking.

Three things that should be clear to all parties by now.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

member 290103

I'm a huge Tanev fan and a Canucks fan, but Marner is overpayment for Tanev.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No chance. Think Tanev and Pettersson, and we still probably turn it down.

Marner was just temporarly sacrificed because the 4th line options on our team at LW or C aren't capable of being played in the top 9 (Moore, Fehr and Martin). Since Brown is (and has played well), Marner was used as the example. He still got 1st line PP duties and was on the ice with Matthews and Nylander or Kadri and Marleau after penalty kills.

Long term, we lose JVR and Bozak most likely, Nylander moves to center and Marner starts playing with Matthews. This is a temp hiccup in a very promising career.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner might be the most overrated player in this league, one good season with 61 points and he is automatically amazing and worth the world? Oh wait plays for the Leafs. Ooops

I think you are mistaking "one good season" with 61pts in 77 games as a 19 year old rookie.
Tavares,Eichel,Stamkos, Seguin, Kucherov...you could throw out about 95% of the stars in this league and they didnt do that as rookies.

what is the going rate for a 20 year old in year 2 of his ELC, who had 65pts in his first 82 games?
a lot more than Vancouver can offer, thats for sure

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
add Horvat,Juolevi, Boeser and and leafs still say no.

there is exactly 1 player in the world the leafs would trade Matthews for straight up, and he plays a bit east of van. city.
I can understand your unwillingless to trade Matthews, and I agree... but that would be a fantastic package for him. A core of Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Kapanen, Brown, Gardiner, Tanev, Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Liljegren etc would be pretty damn deep. You'd be more likely to win cups with that young core than with your current one imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad