Tanenbaum criticized at BOG meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
No they sign useful free agents with a lot of experience. They trade at the deadline for players on their last legs, usually with expiring contracts with hopes their experience and wisdom will help them down the stretch. NOT ONE of their FREE agent signings have not turned out to be solid moves.

Not entirely true Mac: Anders Eriksson??? Dmitri Khristich???

There have been a few blunders along the way, but the Mogilny signing makes up for it.

MacDaddy TLC*

habfan4 said:
Not entirely true Mac: Anders Eriksson??? Dmitri Khristich???

There have been a few blunders along the way, but the Mogilny signing makes up for it.
Jesus! I had erased them from memory. :lol

Nobody could have predicted the Khristich signing wold work out as awful as it did (remembering that they let Steve Sullivan go on waivers to make room for his signing). He was only 30 years old--- no wonder they want older warriors with valuable cup winning experience.

Eriksson was only 26 and looked like he might have turned the corner in Florida the previous season. Another strike against youth.

SENSible1*

How about compare cup rings and playoff performance?

Nice of the Leafs to reward Belfour for leading the Stars to the cup, Roberts for leading the Flames to the cup and Newy for leading the Flames/Devils to the promise land.

Very considerate of them.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
Nice of the Leafs to reward Belfour for leading the Stars to the cup, Roberts for leading the Flames to the cup and Newy for leading the Flames/Devils to the promise land.

Right, I see, so this has absolutely nothing to do with the "business of hockey" or the new CBA and simply that you don't like the Leafs.

SENSible1*

alexmorrison said:
Right, I see, so this has absolutely nothing to do with the "business of hockey" or the new CBA and simply that you don't like the Leafs.
UMMM...nice jump in logic.

The Leafs had no basis for rewarding those players based on past "cup rings" as Mayor was suggesting.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
Please compare the age and injury history of Alfie, Roberts, Nueiwendyk and Belfour and then get back to me.
How about comparing length of contracts? Roberts, Niewendyk and Belfour were signed to short-term deals.
The Sens signed Alfie to a 5 year $25 M extension near the end of the season. Stupid planning for a cap based world as you put it...

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
UMMM...nice jump in logic.

The Leafs had no basis for rewarding those players based on past "cup rings" as Mayor was suggesting.
Players with "playoff experience" are rewarded and highly coveted all the time.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's clear that the Leafs are virtually alone in their views amongst the ownership group. You would have expected Philly and Detroit, for example, to also be looking to play, but both those ownership groups are strongly onside for a hardline stand. In fact, other than the Leafs, who are in a unique market to say the least, it's tough to think of any other ownership group sharing their views. There may be some others with more moderate views, i.e. who would have been willing to go along with the last $42.5 million/no linkage offer the league made, but none who were willing to sign the 'PA's last offer. No wonder Tannenbaum got a rough ride at the BOG gathering...

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
The Belfour signing was the most important and necessary of the three. If they didn't sign him, do you think the Senators after trading Lali,e would have been interewsted in a moody, drunk, criminal out of the Czech Republic who had only played 14 games over the previous two seasons, or do you think they would have tried to slay their dragon by going to the heart of the team and ripping it out? There were no goalies even close to the Eagle available and no way the Leafs could have replaced him.

I'm not so sure when you are talking about goalies character trying to defend belfour using drunk is a good one. In fact, I'll give you one billion dollars to stop using the argument

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thunderstruck said:
I don't envy stupidity.

They engaged in activity that was the polar opposite of the direction the league was heading.

They further this stupidity by undermining the league during the lockout.

They can't feign surprize when they get slapped back to reality.
As a Flyers Fan you do realize that Philly's payroll is currently the HIGHEST IN THE LEAGUE .. and then would have had to shed the most $$$$ to get below a Cap ..

Last edited:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Thunderstruck said:

Newy didn't lead the Flames to a cup, he lead the Stars to a cup. He won the Conn Smythe in '99.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Larionov said:
I think it's clear that the Leafs are virtually alone in their views amongst the ownership group. You would have expected Philly and Detroit, for example, to also be looking to play, but both those ownership groups are strongly onside for a hardline stand. In fact, other than the Leafs, who are in a unique market to say the least, it's tough to think of any other ownership group sharing their views. There may be some others with more moderate views, i.e. who would have been willing to go along with the last $42.5 million/no linkage offer the league made, but none who were willing to sign the 'PA's last offer. No wonder Tannenbaum got a rough ride at the BOG gathering...

They most certainly aren't alone in their views. Its one thing to be standing their ground and another thing completly to want to play. Teams like Detroit, Philadelphia, Dallas, Colorado, NY Rangers are all pissed off that a deal wasn't done. They want to play. These are all teams that are losing more money by not playing than by playing. TO was the only one who had the balls to stand up and say so. But come this summer if a deal is not on the horizon I can bet you these other teams will be screaming. I doubt Tom Hicks wants to pay another $6M arena fee to an empty arena, and that is what this season cost him in arena fees, $6M.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Funny hearing about Larry getting flamed by the BOG. These are the same people who ran their teams to the ground while Tanenbaums team flourished without winning a cup in almost 40 years.

We have the flyers who are paying Leclair what 8 million a year?

The Rangers who are the main reason salaries are out of control.

Dallas who paid Guerin 9 million.

A moron who paid Yashin $10 million.

I could go on about other teams whos signings are much worse then any deal the TMLs have made. If I were Larry I would've told certain members to **** and run their businesses better.

SENSible1*

Icey said:
Newy didn't lead the Flames to a cup, he lead the Stars to a cup. He won the Conn Smythe in '99.

2002-03 Stanley Cup (New Jersey)
2001-02 Olympic Gold Medal (2002-CAN)
1998-99 Stanley Cup (Dallas)
1998-99 NHL - Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoffs' MVP)
1994-95 NHL - King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian of the Year)
1993-94 Played in NHL All-Star
1989-90 Played in NHL All-Star
1988-89 Stanley Cup (Calgary)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_name=Joe+Nieuwendyk&hubName=TOR

My post should have noted the Leafs generosity in rewarding Newy for leading the Flames/Stars/Devils teams to the cup.

Thanks for the correction.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I could actually see the other GM's ripping into Tanenbaum, but not because of their habit of signing has-beens like Roberts, Niewendyke or Belfour.

IMO the Leafs organization has been on thin ice ever since the McCabe signing. At a time when most teams were trimming payroll or signing players for the same or less than what they'd previously earned, the Leafs go out and sign McCabe to a ridiculous two year $10 million contract. That was like spitting in the face of every GM of a smaller market team. Under a new CBA a player of McCabe's stature is going to be lucky to make half that. The amount of money was wrong, the timing was wrong, and Ferguson Jr. saying "We'll sign whoever we want for however much money we want" was SO wrong.

Sammy*

syc said:
Funny hearing about Larry getting flamed by the BOG. These are the same people who ran their teams to the ground while Tanenbaums team flourished without winning a cup in almost 40 years.

We have the flyers who are paying Leclair what 8 million a year?

The Rangers who are the main reason salaries are out of control.

Dallas who paid Guerin 9 million.

A moron who paid Yashin $10 million.

I could go on about other teams whos signings are much worse then any deal the TMLs have made. If I were Larry I would've told certain members to **** and run their businesses better.
Yeah, everybody should be as brilliant as Tannenbaum where an idiot could run that franchise & make millions, all the while winning dip **** & showing no regard for your "partners" in the venture.
Yep, brilliant indeed. :lol :lol :lol

CC_Tigers

Mar 4, 2005
Nobody could have predicted the Khristich signing would work out as awful as it did

I hereby nominate as the most ridiculous statement contained in this thread.
Any Caps, Bruins or Kings fans care jump aboard?

MacDaddy TLC*

CC_Tigers said:
Nobody could have predicted the Khristich signing would work out as awful as it did

You can nominate it, but your post just took the prize. Khristich was a near point/game player before the colossal failure in Toronto. Nice try though, kid.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2710

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
You can nominate it, but your post just took the prize. Khristich was a near point/game player before the colossal failure in Toronto. Nice try though, kid.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2710
Um...he was a point a game player once in his career...and as much as I like you Mac and agree that the Leafs get a bad rap on a lot of stuff.....the Khristich signing at the time was terrible.

MacDaddy TLC*

slats432 said:
Um...he was a point a game player once in his career...and as much as I like you Mac and agree that the Leafs get a bad rap on a lot of stuff.....the Khristich signing at the time was terrible.
The Khristich signing was for a little less than the league arbitrator said he was worth. Again it is just a case of the Leafs signing a player for what he was deemed worth on the market, and fans of the teams who can't afford to make these signings just can't take it because their favourite team can barely make payroll. I leave you with these wise words: http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2570349&postcount=14

It sums everything up quite beautifully.

wazee said:
Maybe because a 4 team league really isn't a viable option...
It would be an 8-12 team league featuring all the best talent in the World. It is the other 18-22 teams that aren't viable.

Dar

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Wolfpack said:
IMO the Leafs organization has been on thin ice ever since the McCabe signing. At a time when most teams were trimming payroll or signing players for the same or less than what they'd previously earned, the Leafs go out and sign McCabe to a ridiculous two year $10 million contract.
2 things.
1) It was pay him or go to arbitration. With him coming off a year finshing fourth in Norris voting, taking the gamble could have backfired (see Leclair).
2) Two Years, $9 million (not 10), 4.45 first year 4.55 second.

CC_Tigers said:

95-99: 64,56,66,71 points. And what, the Leafs predicted his production would drop to 30 points the following year? Arbitrator didn't seem to believe that either.

Why would Bruins fans agree with you, he produced pretty good for Boston.

CC_Tigers

Mar 4, 2005
For all your hockey knowledge, I'm surprised you're taking sucjh a narrow view of Kristich's 'value'...the points were always there...but given his well documented history of lacking effort and heart, as well as a rather malignant locker room presence and a poor response to coaching, many would have predicted the poor outcome of his signing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->