Tanenbaum criticized at BOG meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
They have tried to undermine the leagues stance so they won't have to face the consequences of their stupidity when a cap is put in place.

They paid Belfour for most of the season.

Belfour was paid through the end of OCTOBER. That is hardly most of the season.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Thunderstruck is obsessed with the Leafs being punished by the cap.

Not surprising, since he's a sensfan.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
The Leafs are quickly discovering that they have exactly the same vote as Nashville.

Looks good on them for their stupidity leading into the lockout.

I would say that the Leafs definately have more pull then Nashville and others.
Lets face it, there are certain marquee teams (Leafs, Red Wings, Colorado, Rangers) that will have more sway over the league then others.
These teams pull in much more revenue then the other teams, and raise the overall value of the league by just being in it (much like the Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, the Lakers/Knicks in basketball, etc...).
I mean, look at attendance when these teams go on the road, most places they are playing to a packed house. Toronto road games averaged 93.5% capacity last year while Florida's were 75%. You tell me which team means more to the league...

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
alexmorrison said:
I would say that the Leafs definately have more pull then Nashville and others.
Lets face it, there are certain marquee teams (Leafs, Red Wings, Colorado, Rangers) that will have more sway over the league then others.
These teams pull in much more revenue then the other teams, and raise the overall value of the league by just being in it (much like the Yankees/Red Sox in baseball, the Lakers/Knicks in basketball, etc...).
I mean, look at attendance when these teams go on the road, most places they are playing to a packed house. Toronto road games averaged 93.5% capacity last year while Florida's were 75%. You tell me which team means more to the league...
Yet they only get 1 vote each to decide matters.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
ACC1224 said:
but they had no right to expect hockey to be played this year.
That doesn't really have anything to do with it. The Leafs are ticked off they're not playing this year and just want this solved. I don't think they really care how it gets solved, because unlike all the other "stupidly" controlled teams, each cancelled game/season is profit that they will not see again.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Steve L said:
Yet they only get 1 vote each to decide matters.
True, but you can bet that when revenue sharing comes up, the Leafs and the other big markets are the ones driving for little to no revenue sharing. I'm just saying these teams will have more of an effect over what goes into each offer made to the PA then small market teams.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
alexmorrison said:
True, but you can bet that when revenue sharing comes up, the Leafs and the other big markets are the ones driving for little to no revenue sharing. I'm just saying these teams will have more of an effect over what goes into each offer made to the PA then small market teams.
Thats true for revenie sharing but not for other things like a lower cap as a lower cap = more profits.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Steve L said:
It doesnt mean that he isnt right though.

how is he right? it's all conjecture until a new CBA is signed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
alexmorrison said:
That doesn't really have anything to do with it. The Leafs are ticked off they're not playing this year and just want this solved. I don't think they really care how it gets solved, because unlike all the other "stupidly" controlled teams, each cancelled game/season is profit that they will not see again.

I agree with you. My sarcasm didn't translate well!

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
alexmorrison said:

If the leafs hand over $45m in revenue sharing they'd be playing hockey.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Steve L said:
Thats true for revenie sharing but not for other things like a lower cap as a lower cap = more profits.
True, but the cap number really doesn't mean as much to the Leafs as it does to other teams.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
how is he right? it's all conjecture until a new CBA is signed.
Considering the offers from both sides, its clear he is right. The Leafs rely more than any other team on signing over the hill and overpriced players more than any other team.

If they cant do that, their main advantage over the opposition is gone. You have to be blind not to see that.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
me2 said:
If the leafs hand over $45m in revenue sharing they'd be playing hockey.
Nonesense. If the Leafs were the only teams to revenue share, the effect would be minimal. If you required that level of revenue sharing from all high-revenue teams, there'd be a revolt. That's why there isn't hockey being played.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Steve L said:
Considering the offers from both sides, its clear he is right. The Leafs rely more than any other team on signing over the hill and overpriced players more than any other team.

If they cant do that, their main advantage over the opposition is gone. You have to be blind not to see that.

Their main one may be gone, if you consider that their main advantage, but then as I've said on the Habs and Leafs boards, all we will do (and what we've already started to do) is build an enormous scouting staff. I suppose the next lockout will be over the Leafs spending $10,000,000 a year on scouts.

Tanenbaum doesn't want hockey back so he can keep spending money, he wants it back to earn the money he knows he'll keep earning. That's the difference for the Leafs organization and nearly every other one out there, Leafs fans will always go to the games, rightly or wrongly, we'll pay upwards of $200 a ticket to see our team play, win or lose. We love our Leafs.

MacDaddy TLC*

Thunderstruck said:
Gee I don't know.

How about adding to your payroll when you know you are well past the cap the league is trying to implement?

Do the names Belfour, Roberts, Berg and Nieuwendyk ring a bell?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=89580&hubName=nhl-maple_leafs
[url="http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=89591&hubName=nhl-maple_leafs"]http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story.asp?ID=89591&hubName=nhl-maple_leafs[/url]
You mean signing Belfour, Roberts, and Nieuwendyk for a total of 500k Less than they cost last season? THEY CUT PAYROLL BY 500 thousand dollars and yet fans of the HAVE NOTS still whine! :lol

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
You mean signing Belfour, Roberts, and Nieuwendyk for a total of 500k Less than they cost last season? THEY CUT PAYROLL BY 500 thousand dollars and yet fans of the HAVE NOTS still whine! :lol
They over paid a huge amount on the original contracts, they just overpaid slightly less on the later contracts. How are they going to cope when they arent allowed extra cap room every time Eddies back gives up? :lol:

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Steve L said:

From a business stand point (which is the owner's main concern), the Leafs will always make money. I mean the Gardens sold out during the Ballard years. The Leafs will always be popular win or lose. Leaf fans have been through bad teams before and they always stick around.
From a competition stand point, yes. Although, the Leafs will always have a certain advantage when attracting FAs just because they are the Leafs. As well, look for the Leafs to make up for it in other ways (ie offering insane money to insure the best scouts).

MacDaddy TLC*

Steve L said:

No they sign useful free agents with a lot of experience. They trade at the deadline for players on their last legs, usually with expiring contracts with hopes their experience and wisdom will help them down the stretch. NOT ONE of their FREE agent signings have not turned out to be solid moves.

MacDaddy TLC*

Steve L said:
They over paid a huge amount on the original contracts, they just overpaid slightly less on the later contracts. How are they going to cope when they arent allowed extra cap room every time Eddies back gives up? :lol:
No they didn't. They paid fair market price for Roberts and Belfour. Nieuwendyk they got for a song. He took a lot less to come home. Maybe you need to upgrade your pounds to dollars currency exchanging program.

Sammy*

Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Ah, I get it. Thats kinda like if the Isles had the luxury of resigning Yashin to a million less a year than they did that would be a real smart signing.
Brilliant! :lol :lol

MacDaddy TLC*

Sammy said:
Ah, I get it. Thats kinda like if the Isles had the luxury of resigning Yashin to a million less a year than they did that would be a real smart signing.
Brilliant! :lol :lol
No the Isles had to pay Yashin double what he was worth plus a premium to play in the dump that is the Nassau County Mausoleum. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad