Tampa or Boston?

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I know that we are all focused on Tampa and Boston as we should be. But if we went back to the old format of seeding 1 through 8 with the division champions getting the top seeds, we would draw Pittsburgh. I think I would rather Boston or Tampa, than face Syd and his merry band of grizzled vets, who again smell Cup and are refocussed.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I believe TB can now win the division by winning their last two games vs Buffalo and at Carolina. Unless they stumble we will be hunting big game next week.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I hope for Boston, they seem to have slowed down the last week or so. I think either team is beatable but putting Boston out in the first sure would make me happy.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
JVg02OZ.gif

Reactions: Mad hatter

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Slightly different way of looking at this:

Tampa and Toronto play very similar styles, and they also boast an incredible offense. A series with Tampa would probably be a coin flip, with Tampa probably edging it due to their blueline.

Boston? They play real smothering low-event hockey. The Leafs biggest strength is their depth scoring - i think their strengths matchup best againt Boston for that reason. Even if the Bergeron line cancels out the Matthews line, the Leafs depth is stronger than Bostons, would could be the route through for Toronto.

Tampa series is basically a slightly better version of last year's caps. Which suits the leafs better. Tampa has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor. That series could either be sweep for either team or go 7. Boston would be a long series.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Tampa series is basically a slightly better version of last year's caps. Which suits the leafs better. Tampa has a higher ceiling but also a lower floor. That series could either be sweep for either team or go 7. Boston would be a long series.

Boston = tight low event series where Leafs scoring depth could make all the difference.

Tampa = high event series where Leafs scoring depth is matched, and their blueline could make all the difference.

You always want the series where your strengths can make all the difference

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Tampa. We'd be down 2-0 but it wouldn't be nearly this bad. Regular season hockey is different than playoff hockey. I think people forget that. The Bruins are a nightmare to play against.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I am a fan of how Boston plays, I have to be honest. Skilled but hard nosed. Imagine if we had that edge with the skill we have?! It is possible, not this year clearly.

I always felt Tampa would be a easier team to play against, not saying we'd win but this thrashing is not enjoyable.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I am in the minority but I want Boston because I look at Boston and I see 1 line that scares me, and it's a GREAT line but it's ONE line, once you get past that the Leafs have the edge.

I don't think Boston can match Marleau Kadri Marner.

They sure as hell can't match JVR Bozak Brown

Tampa can though

....... Lol. This didn't age well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No point in pining for a "what if" scenario at this point. Boston's our opponent, they've been the better team so far and have capitalized on their chances at a better rate than we have. Wouldn't feel much better with closer losses as they're still losses. We've put ourselves in a rough spot, but the series is still far from over. Have to use home ice advantage to change the momentum of the series.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I think this series has shown that it isn't a matter of which team we have the best chance against, but its a matter of being as far along in our rebuild as we thought we were. The answer seems to be no, we still have work to do. Are we kicking ourselves for not trading JVR/Bozak/Leo for picks and prospects?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I think this series has shown that it isn't a matter of which team we have the best chance against, but its a matter of being as far along in our rebuild as we thought we were. The answer seems to be no, we still have work to do. Are we kicking ourselves for not trading JVR/Bozak/Leo for picks and prospects?
Yeah we're still a young team that finished ahead of what most thought they would do.

We need time to grow, see what we've got , fill holes where necessary (defence I'm looking at you) , and inject some balls into our lineup. Not with scrubs but with guys who can actually chip in at the same time.

Aye building a team isn't easy, back to NHL 18 where my Leafs are 2nd in the division. It's the only way I'll see them win a cup :( ;)

horner

May 22, 2007
Boston was never my choice.
Refs they have them in there back pocket
Marchant
Bergeron
Chara
I believe they will be in the cup finals
They are really f***ing good.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
considering the fact the Leafs aren't playing well, it wouldn't matter who it is we were facing.
the only chance this team due the last two games, had of being up 2 games to 0 (or even 1-1) is if we collectively created a team and faced them. and considering how Andersen/the defense has been, maybe not even then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->