Tampa or Boston?

AustrianHockeyfan

Sep 7, 2015
Austria
I think Tampa on paper is pretty much the best team in the league. Therefore I want Boston, but I think we will have to win against both teams if we want to win the cup anyway.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I personally think we match up better against Boston than we do against Tampa (Our head-to-head record the last 2 years reflects this also). But I think we will make a series out of whichever team we end up playing, and have a legitimate shot of winning either one. Excited for the playoffs to start.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Funny thing is if we when the first round we get to play both. Why do people keep talking about who they want to play?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Implaying boston has no depth? weak sauce

Krejci,Heinen,Nash, Debrusk...oh yeah and that donato kid with 7 pts in his first 9 NHL games.
thats on top of what is easily the best 1st line in the league

Completely agree. I don't know why people keep posting this nonsense of Boston having nothing beyond their top line, they have one of the best groups of forwards in the league, period.

I want the Leafs to play last night Boston

Hahaha yeah for sure. I've been saying I'd rather face TB but Boston might finally be getting worn out. Not sure any more but last night's Boston, yeah I'd be good with that. :)

I think Tampa on paper is pretty much the best team in the league. Therefore I want Boston, but I think we will have to win against both teams if we want to win the cup anyway.

True enough.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If I had my pick from every team in the East, I would pick Boston last. Do not want.

@LEAFANFORLIFE23 you are clearly not the only one who wants Boston. But I'm sure not with you. I understand all the reasons behind it. But I just dread the thought of another loss to the Bruins. I know some Bruins fans personally that still bring up the game 7 meltdown.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I want Boston. I think Tampa is a better team on paper even though Boston has been really hot lately.

So I would take the worse team if I had the choice.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Both teams tough.
But im with you TS. Boston is slightly better for us.

Boston slows down as the game goes on, and we've proven we can skate around the heavy hitters and keep them at an arms length for 60 and score.

Tampa is like us. Just high scoring chances after more scoring chances making it more into a goalie battle for the lack of a better term.

The caveats :

Boston will have grit edge. Less whistles and more foul play will test the young leafs more than the bruins who already play that style anyways. **probably the only good thing about refs bias against us in the reg season is the mental fortitude the leafs had to endure it without blowing up**

Tampa seems to be just half notch better at the mental strength dept. They dont do as many bloopers as the leafs which means clearing the zone at a better %.
This is mainly nullified by our age and depth, but in the playoffs its different and maybe they are equal to us in many ways, but that slight edge is probably the only achilles heel the leafs have, and no other team exploits that like Tampa because they are the only other team who matches our offense and speed neck and neck.

We can beat BOTH

Go Leafs Go!!!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
One line teams don’t score 3.27 goals per game lol. They are a really good team from top to bottom.

No shame in wanting Boston and also being able to admit that they are a very good team.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I want Boston too. If we have to wait for the second round to do it then so be it.

Boston is a very good team but so is Toronto. 3 times we've beaten them this year was without Matthews and once with our backup.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How does any of that even go together?
What do you mean how does that go together?
I didn't think we were contenders and still needed to add pieces to get to that next level.
By keeping the own rentals and giving away another 2nd for a 4th line C, management doesn't share that view.
Therefore my expectations at the start of the year was to move on from the players not in the long range plan, gather assets and address missing positions and compete for a playoff spot and keep adding.
Now my expectations are higher.
We've traded back to back 2nds and haven't addressed a thing. We risk losing a 30 goal scorer. We have a top 4 D who could be in the same boat next year. We are still weak at C in the organization.
So that's how it goes for me.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Tampa has a higher ceiling but lower floor than Boston. Tampa could sweep the Leafs, and they could also lose in 5 to the leafs.

Boston would be a gruelling 5-7 game series that wouldn't be easy.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Funny thing is if we when the first round we get to play both. Why do people keep talking about who they want to play?

If the leafs win their series, and the winner of the Atlantic loses in the first round, the leafs would play the 2nd wild card team. That could be one of Pittsburgh, Columbus, Philadelphia, New Jersey or Florida.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If the leafs win their series, and the winner of the Atlantic loses in the first round, the leafs would play the 2nd wild card team. That could be one of Pittsburgh, Columbus, Philadelphia, New Jersey or Florida.
You're right, I'm assuming the 1st place team would win their series, which isn't much of a reach.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Who actually believes Boston is a 1 line team?

They are one of the deepest teams in the league. Their top 3 are obviously amazing but the next 4-5 guys are really, really good too. I ended up watching a ton of them this year because I grabbed a few of their players in my fantasy draft and they are an impressive forward group.

Not sure where that nonsense came from.

Anyways, it's a coin flip really. Would you rather fight a bear or a shark? Neither is going to be easy.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I know they have owned Boston the past 2 seasons and I see no reason they can't do it again especially with Matthews healthy again
Boston is a much different team that they were last season and for the first quarter of this season. They have more depth and are a complete team. They have dominated their competition for the last 4 and a half months. People are really ignorant to forget that and for some reason people bring up our 7-1 record against them the last two seasons as if it means anything. They weren't a strong team for 6 of those loses and they 7th loss they got screwed over. They got much better than Toronto did from last season to this season.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think Boston is built more for a playoff series and they play like it. Tampa is a bit looser which means our stallions have a bit of room to work with, where Boston will check us into oblivion. Give me tampa round 1.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What do you mean how does that go together?
I didn't think we were contenders and still needed to add pieces to get to that next level.
By keeping the own rentals and giving away another 2nd for a 4th line C, management doesn't share that view.
Therefore my expectations at the start of the year was to move on from the players not in the long range plan, gather assets and address missing positions and compete for a playoff spot and keep adding.
Now my expectations are higher.
We've traded back to back 2nds and haven't addressed a thing. We risk losing a 30 goal scorer. We have a top 4 D who could be in the same boat next year. We are still weak at C in the organization.
So that's how it goes for me.

With our UFAs walking July 1st, Lou will have some work to do. Addressing the #3 and #4C will be keys. Been holding my breath for the Tavares train not to leave the station since last summer (87 days to go to July 1st :)). Signing JT will make Lou's job so much easier this offseason.

The Shanaclan has make huge strides since winning the Matthews lottery. They cannot take a step back as a result of our UFAs leaving. Looking forward to seeing what the lineup looks like to start the 2018/19 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad