GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Detroit Red Wings - 7:30 EST

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hello Vegas, I want to put down $5,000 on the Red Wings not getting beyond round one in the playoffs.
How rich will I be if I win the bet?
You got 19:1 that they don't win the division. I'd imagine that's pretty similar...probably can get slightly better odds

I suggest you put a lot more down than 5000 for something that is guaranteed.

And then there are plenty more absolute claims about our demise to become rich off of.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree. If this team is considered the "cup favorite" team in the NHL, then it's not going to be much of an exciting year to watch hockey. They don't look that deadly, don't have that 2nd gear.... and don't have that killer instinct you see in real cup favorite teams.

It's laughable they are considered the "cup favorite". Maybe the NHL is on the fall.

That said, Detroit does not look like a bottom 10 team to me. They look like a team that could very well be in the playoff mix. I don't see Detroit/Ken Holland as sellers at deadline. But that could change. We'll see...

Maybe between eras is a nicer way to put it. It reminds me a bit of the early-mids 2000s where the Wings, Stars, Devils, and Avs had wound down quite a bit but no one else had really stepped up and established themselves as the next big dog and ran with it until Chicago, Pitt, and LA (though to a lesser extent) stepped forward.

That said, for however much TB doesn't look like a great team, they're still better than us. I've been saying for awhile that I thought we were a bubble team, sitting anywhere from 14th to 22nd in the league. If Holland's smart, he sells Green regardless of where we sit in the playoff picture. Like you, I don't think he sells if we're sniffing the postseason, though.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You got 19:1 that they don't win the division. I'd imagine that's pretty similar...probably can get slightly better odds

I suggest you put a lot more down than 5000 for something that is guaranteed.

And then there are plenty more absolute claims about our demise to become rich off of.
Okay, so you aren't even going to address the issue at hand. Great.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The result wasn't what we were looking for but we played much better than we did in any of the three prior road games. I sure as hell hope that Tampa is a contender because they are much the better team and could consistently make plays with ease that we simply cannot. We need to pull teeth to get the scoring opportunities they manage to produce.

We need to find a way to run the breakout through the middle of the ice in the defensive zone. We have been getting hammered moving it up the wall. This obviously requires quicker retrieval plays from our defensemen and better positioning from the centers (or first forward back). I am not sure I expect it to change but it is something we need to be working towards.

Reactions: Frk It

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I thought Detroit was lucky to only be down one. Tampa hit the post 3 times last night. At the same time, we had better chances and more chances.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I raised the issue.
Of speaking in absolutes.
And profiting off of it if you're so sure.
Which is such a stupid thing to focus on.

What are the odds the Wings can make a splash in the playoffs with this roster? As in making the playoffs and getting past the first round. Do you think they are high enough to cast doubt on the assertion that the Wings aren't good enough to win a playoff series?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

What are the odds the Wings can make a splash in the playoffs with this roster? As in making the playoffs and getting past the first round. Do you think they are high enough to cast doubt on the assertion that the Wings aren't good enough to win a playoff series?

I'm pretty sure hes ken Holland. All you gotta do is make it in, then anything can happen!11!@!!

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Ok, well in a world where John Chayka is being praised as a top-3 GM and Jim Nill has been praised for years, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

When Tampa Bay misses the playoffs "due to injuries....but Yzerman is still a genius", but we lost our starting goalie to injury, and that doesn't matter, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

When a Wild Card makes the Stanley Cup, but we're "guaranteed" that if we make it we have no shot, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

Right now we are winning games. We have the most important position on the ice playing incredibly well. If they continue to win through the trade deadline, I'm not going to write them off.

The issue at hand seems to be that IF we are firmly in a playoff spot and you all are wrong and we are good, you are going to cling on to being right that we are bad. Hey, maybe we can get Jim Nill

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ok, well in a world where John Chayka is being praised as a top-3 GM and Jim Nill has been praised for years, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

When Tampa Bay misses the playoffs "due to injuries....but Yzerman is still a genius", but we lost our starting goalie to injury, and that doesn't matter, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

When a Wild Card makes the Stanley Cup, but we're "guaranteed" that if we make it we have no shot, I'm going to go ahead and say HFboards as a whole doesn't know what they're talking about.

Right now we are winning games. We have the most important position on the ice playing incredibly well. If they continue to win through the trade deadline, I'm not going to write them off.

The issue at hand seems to be that IF we are firmly in a playoff spot and you all are wrong and we are good, you are going to cling on to being right that we are bad. Hey, maybe we can get Jim Nill

This post is missing a lot of context, but I think you know that. Making blanket statements like these really don't create a constructive conversation or debate.

Reactions: avssuc

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

When we finish in the bottom ten again are you going to admit you're wrong and it's time for a change in direction? No? Didn't think so.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That doesn't address anything.

What about the roster and their play so far leads you to believe this is sustainable or will translate to success in the post-season? "They are winning games in October" by itself doesn't really tell me anything and has no context to it.

I could be right about the team not being very good but they are still in a playoff spot. The only way I see the Wings making the playoffs are by unsustainable streaks during the regular season (Z carrying the first line, goaltending playing Vezina-worthy, and Green continuing his play, none of that I think we can lean on in a playoff series against any of the top teams we would face with deeper rosters and the ability to shred the rest of the defense). I have yet to see any analysis or discussion from you since we started dialogue other "well if you are so sure bet on it" or "remember X argument an HFboards made one time?" What do you have to bring to the table from what you have seen of this team lately?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I doubt we trade Green. I know people around here do not want to hear this, but I bet we compete for a playoff spot. No top 3 pick for us. Go wings!

There's a chance of that, but that assumes all of the older Wings keep producing at inflated levels, and that Howard stays healthy. Is that really possible?

Realistically, the Wings are still a bottom bubble team. With 93% of the season remaining, too many things need to go in the Wings favor. That 6-2 start last year cooled pretty quick. I don't know that they have more this year, minus Daley. Plus, the last time he played more than 68 games was the 11-12 season. Playing #1 mins here, I highly doubt he plays more this year. I'd look to ship him before Christmas if he's still playing healthy and lights out. The law of averages is the Wings friend there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171017-185324.jpg
    Screenshot_20171017-185324.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 5

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...We need to find a way to run the breakout through the middle of the ice in the defensive zone. We have been getting hammered moving it up the wall. This obviously requires quicker retrieval plays from our defensemen and better positioning from the centers (or first forward back). I am not sure I expect it to change but it is something we need to be working towards.

So true. Stretch passes up the middle weren't successful last night either. There was this crazy string of shifts in the 3rd period where the D (especially Jensen) were being pressured and they threw it up ice...only to have the puck stolen or poke checked every single time, it was comical. At least one forward is gonna have to stay for support.

For years we've complained about our D but I still say the forwards are the ones unable to handle what have become standard dumps into the neutral zone. Either they aren't strong enough or crafty enough to win those battles but getting pinched on so often is a major problem.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
frans Nielsen has won only 38% of his draws so far

Well, I'm glad that stats through a week always hold true. I'll love seeing Green get 123 pts and Alex Ovechkin pot 105 goals. My favorite was Dmitri Young's 486 HR season.

Nielsen needs to pick it up, but there is no way that he'll continue on losing 62% of his faceoffs.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Maybe between eras is a nicer way to put it. It reminds me a bit of the early-mids 2000s where the Wings, Stars, Devils, and Avs had wound down quite a bit but no one else had really stepped up and established themselves as the next big dog and ran with it until Chicago, Pitt, and LA (though to a lesser extent) stepped forward.

That said, for however much TB doesn't look like a great team, they're still better than us. I've been saying for awhile that I thought we were a bubble team, sitting anywhere from 14th to 22nd in the league. If Holland's smart, he sells Green regardless of where we sit in the playoff picture. Like you, I don't think he sells if we're sniffing the postseason, though.

The Stanley Cup has been awarded nine times since 2008.
Pittsburgh and Chicago have won it three times.
LA twice.
Boston once.

I can easily see Tampa winning the cup, but you can't run Stamkos and Kucherov on the same line.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Well, I'm glad that stats through a week always hold true. I'll love seeing Green get 123 pts and Alex Ovechkin pot 105 goals. My favorite was Dmitri Young's 486 HR season.

Nielsen needs to pick it up, but there is no way that he'll continue on losing 62% of his faceoffs.

Interesting
Nielsen is playing 14:59 a night. -- by far the lowest of his career since he became an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad