GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Detroit Red Wings - 7:30 EST

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Gus is definitely not 5'8", standing next to him he was notably taller than me(@ 5'8")

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Seemed like a clean hit, refs thought so too. Stammer can't help that Nyquist is 5'8'' and 160lbs. His listed height and weight is extremely generous.
Also - Nyquist milks every hit and incident.
He came out for the very next shift and looked fine after being helped off the ice by Zetterberg and Ericsson. Maybe he got the wind knocked out of him. But it's a regular thing with Gus and a little annoying.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I legitimately believe they’re the most overrated team in the NHL.

I always feel like we can beat them in any given night. I truly don’t understand what some people besides TB fans see in them. Truly.

And yeah, I feel like they got lucky again tonight. I didn’t see anything that screamed cup favorites to me.

I agree. If this team is considered the "cup favorite" team in the NHL, then it's not going to be much of an exciting year to watch hockey. They don't look that deadly, don't have that 2nd gear.... and don't have that killer instinct you see in real cup favorite teams.

It's laughable they are considered the "cup favorite". Maybe the NHL is on the fall.

That said, Detroit does not look like a bottom 10 team to me. They look like a team that could very well be in the playoff mix. I don't see Detroit/Ken Holland as sellers at deadline. But that could change. We'll see...

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Man... I really wonder what this team is when Z finally remembers he's old.

Hope Green keeps this up through January. I'll hate to lose him, given that he's about the only blue liner that makes the team fun to watch.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I always feel like we can beat them in any given night. I truly don’t understand what some people besides TB fans see in them. Truly.

And yeah, I feel like they got lucky again tonight. I didn’t see anything that screamed cup favorites to me.
I'm not sure why you'd feel like the Wings could beat them on any given night considering Tampa has beat the Wings something like 8 times in a row and gone 12-1 since 2015.

I don't know that I'd call them Cup favorites but if I were a fan of the Lightning I'd be pretty happy to have Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman, Johnson, and Namestnikinov.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

You don't lose to the same team 8 times in a row because you're unlucky. Tampa is better than Detroit by quite a wide margin, doesn't mean the games will be blowouts every time though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If he keeps playing like this (putting up points).... he will give us MORE than just a 1st round pick.

If we keep winning however, we wont trade him at all.

Win what? You don't hold onto Green for a guaranteed first round exit.

Doesn't matter though. This team is built to lose and won't make the playoffs. The Wings turn the puck over way too much and that will add up as the season progresses. Just have to hope Kenny doesn't hold onto him when the Wings are "only" 3-5 points out of a wildcard spot. Although I suspect Kenny has no intention of trading Green based on the abysmal prospect pool and Kronwall playing on one leg.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule93

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

They’ve won over like 6 straight games on us. That isn’t luck.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If he keeps playing like this (putting up points).... he will give us MORE than just a 1st round pick.

If we keep winning however, we wont trade him at all.
I agree, if that playoffs are in sight Ken Holland will make the terrible decision to keep him.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
My god, I sure hope you are the richest man in Las Vegas

this team is significantly worse than the post-lidstrom-pre-datsyuk-departure teams

we couldn't win shit then, we aint winning shit now. It will take a miracle to finish outside of the bottom 10, hopefully we're closer to the bottom 5 or 3... or 1

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm implying that y'all speak in absolutes way too much.

Especially when it comes to the demise of our team.
The demise of this franchise has already happened. They have insufficient talent to do anything substantial in the playoffs, and have no players significantly boosting that ceiling in the short term. That's not doom and gloom; that's simply looking at the last 5 years of results, and the overall trend therein.

The matter of debate is how long this phase lasts, and what strategy to employ in changing things.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm implying that y'all speak in absolutes way too much.

Especially when it comes to the demise of our team.
People aren't speaking in absolutes moreso than they are speaking in terms of the team's current strengths and weaknesses.

I do not believe there is an argument to be had that can reasonably assert the Wings will be a threat in the playoffs, or will get anywhere close to a Stanley Cup this season.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Are we not 4-2?

Do Wild Card teams NEVER advance?

Is "guaranteed" not an absolute term?

It's a sport. You don't know what's going to happen. If you do, go to Vegas and get really rich

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are we not 4-2?

It's a sport. You don't know what's going to happen. If you do, go to Vegas and get really rich

No, you do not know "exactly" what is going to happen, and perhaps WW is being a little more "absolute" with his language, but at the same time he is making an assertion the Wings in their current state are not good enough to make it past the first round (it will have been 5 seasons since they did that, and the team has regressed both offensively and defensively). Keeping Green because the team is doing well is a great way to ignore the long-term problems with the team, and speaks to the asinine idea of "anything can happen", despite the fact that generally the same thing has been happenings as predicted.

And, yes. They are 4-2. They are not a team that is going to sustain a 4-2 record. They don't have the defense, the goaltending is suspect over an 82 game season, and the offense has too many holes in it to make up for it. WW asserting the team will not make it past the first round if they make it is one that is founded in the facts. It isn't guaranteed, but it is pretty darn close.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Are we not 4-2?

Hello Vegas, I want to put down $5,000 on the Red Wings not getting beyond round one in the playoffs.
How rich will I be if I win the bet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->