GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning @ Detroit Red Wings - 7:30 EST

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Solid game. Forwards looked good, but the defence struggled at times.

Agree Jensen had a real rough game, but let's not go overboard. He's generally solid.

I'm a bit over Nyquist. He's so weak on his skates. Tatar is comfortably better.

Green is fantastic. If we're going to trade him he better net us at least a first.
Tatar and Nyquist are both NHL level, top six forwards.
Jensen is an above average AHLer

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
looked pretty good against a very good team. This team doesn't appear to give up, which is nice to see. Was Helm the extra man?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Crazy to think just a few years ago, Nyquist was considered an elite goal scorer. He looks like a first year now.

All your posts are sarcasm and negativity. We get it you hate the entire team and cant wait to fast forward to 2024.

Jensen has looked real bad

Ya, not a good game for him.

There's no shame in losing to Tampa. They're the better team and they played like it. We played with them though, and I'm glad we hung in there.

I honestly expected a much worse showing. 3-2 is a scary score. Not because we lost. But if we can stay this close against playofff teams.... we are a playoff team... and there goes our whole "our team sucks assumption"

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
All your posts are sarcasm and negativity. We get it you hate the entire team and cant wait to fast forward to 2024.

Ya, not a good game for him.

I honestly expected a much worse showing. 3-2 is a scary score. Not because we lost. But if we can stay this close against playofff teams.... we are a playoff team... and there goes our whole "our team sucks assumption"

It's the nature of the league. You don't have to get blown out a lot to finish in the bottom 5. Losing 3-2 and 2-1 consistently will do it for you.
This team gives up too many wide-open looks and backdoor plays (Saturday) to contend.
I think they'll try hard and work hard. With an improved PP and improved goaltending I can see a bottom 10 finish instead of a bottom five finish.
But if Z goes down or slows down, bottom 3 - improved goaltending or not.
About the only time I ever feel like something good is going to happen in the Ozone is when Z has the puck.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Parity is a phenomenon confined to the regular season. Remember, Detroit started last year with a 6-2 record.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That was painful. Not the loss- the frigging game. What were there, 30 some icings? Ugh I couldn't watch that mess without delay and a fast-forward button. Same story with the Wings as last season: clog up the ice slapping at the puck and wear the game down to nothingness. So many players on this team can't even control the puck, they take shift after shift but are completely invisible. No wonder the lower bowl is 1/2 empty and 0 energy from the crowd.

Stamkos is a f***er for that cheap hit on Nyquist.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It's the nature of the league. You don't have to get blown out a lot to finish in the bottom 5. Losing 3-2 and 2-1 consistently will do it for you.
This team gives up too many wide-open looks and backdoor plays (Saturday) to contend.
I think they'll try hard and work hard. With an improved PP and improved goaltending I can see a bottom 10 finish instead of a bottom five finish.
But if Z goes down or slows down, bottom 3 - improved goaltending or not.
About the only time I ever feel like something good is going to happen in the Ozone is when Z has the puck.

true, I could just see this team performing a lot better "surprisingly".

I mean i agree with you... we should be bottom 5...

im just saying, we could improve... and I kinda dont want to.... its really strange cheering for good draft picks... and yet still cheeringg for good hockey... as they are kind of the opposite sometimes.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

im just saying, we could improve... and I kinda dont want to.... its really strange cheering for good draft picks... and yet still cheeringg for good hockey... as they are kind of the opposite sometimes.

It's hard not to want the team to win when they're playing.
But when they actually lose, at the end of the game, I don't feel much disappointment.
I feel disappointment if Mantha plays 12 minutes or something.
Or if Larkin has a bad game.
Or if Frk cools down and looks a little overmatched.
Or if Athanasiou is in Switzerland.

For me, the future is now.
That might mean losing. I want to see the kids take on bigger roles. I live and die with their development more than the wins and losses.
Sadly, there aren't many kids on the team I'm all that hopeful about.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

I cheer for good hockey every game. When the Wings find their level, I will still cheer. But, when they lose I won't be upset.

I accepted a rebuild a long time ago.

Reactions: Redder Winger

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I agree with both your sentiments Redder Winger and Voodoo :)

i enjoy the building and crafting of the team, fantasy GM mode is fun.
i am just saying i expect us to miss the playoffs and continue rebuilding..... it would be "confusing" (surprising) if we made the playoffs

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Solid game. Forwards looked good, but the defence struggled at times.

Agree Jensen had a real rough game, but let's not go overboard. He's generally solid.

I'm a bit over Nyquist. He's so weak on his skates. Tatar is comfortably better.

Green is fantastic. If we're going to trade him he better net us at least a first.

Is he still quietly leading NHL D in points? If he stays close to that pace he could be more costly than a late round 1st. Look at what Smith returned from NY.

Outside of that, sounds like they fixed the goal horn, at least for TV. The Wings still look good. Daley looks great more shifts than not out there. If the Wings wanted to make more at the deadline, assuming he stays healthy, he might return well. I know it might not be popular right now, but why shouldn't they go all in on drafting in 18?

And that was vintage Hank tonight. He's been a treat to watch for so long. Even Kronwall looked good on the PP. Maybe he's got a little left in the tank with significantly less mins.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Sometimes! Holland and the Illich's had a golden opportunity in the spring to speed up a rebuild process. Instead we add a 34 y/o defenseman. A bottom 5 team should be shedding over-30 players for picks, not adding to them. With the load of experienced vets Nielsen and Daley were both thoughtless, desperate contracts. The trend is toward younger players yet we remain the oldest team in the NHL. I'd have no problem watching new, very young and inexperienced players as we heavily increase our chances at a top-3 pick. I doubt the majority of clueless fans in "Hockeytown" would know the difference either way.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Wings were good enough to win. Tampa is kind of meh. I don't see Lightning doing much if the playoffs... if they even make it.
The Lightning are Cup favourites. They looked solid to me so I don't know what on earth you were watching. The Redwings actually look good.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Is he still quietly leading NHL D in points? If he stays close to that pace he could be more costly than a late round 1st. Look at what Smith returned from NY.

Outside of that, sounds like they fixed the goal horn, at least for TV. The Wings still look good. Daley looks great more shifts than not out there. If the Wings wanted to make more at the deadline, assuming he stays healthy, he might return well. I know it might not be popular right now, but why shouldn't they go all in on drafting in 18?

And that was vintage Hank tonight. He's been a treat to watch for so long. Even Kronwall looked good on the PP. Maybe he's got a little left in the tank with significantly less mins.
I doubt we trade Green. I know people around here do not want to hear this, but I bet we compete for a playoff spot. No top 3 pick for us. Go wings!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I see a team that is let loose a little bit in the offensive zone and it's mostly paying off with what we're icing right now. Losses and mistakes are easier to swallow when you at least give it a chance to win. And I'm fine with that, it gives a better chance for offensive guys like Mantha and Frk to get going at the NHL level, and hopefully Hicketts and Svech down the road this season. If we make it work great, if not at least we get some better entertainment and a higher draft pick. I think a lot of that will come down to Howard and Mrazek making timely saves for most of the season, cus with our D group there's gonna be mistakes either way.

This game in particular, Howard didn't make those saves, even if I wouldn't blame the loss on him.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's hard not to want the team to win when they're playing.
But when they actually lose, at the end of the game, I don't feel much disappointment.
I feel disappointment if Mantha plays 12 minutes or something.
Or if Larkin has a bad game.
Or if Frk cools down and looks a little overmatched.
Or if Athanasiou is in Switzerland.

For me, the future is now.
That might mean losing. I want to see the kids take on bigger roles. I live and die with their development more than the wins and losses.
Sadly, there aren't many kids on the team I'm all that hopeful about.
This is how I feel. I was gripping the steering wheel driving listening to the game on the radio during the last 5 minutes. I wanted us to score because that's my team. But I was also ok with a loss and know that at the end of the day that's better long term. But it will always be instinct to want to win.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
The Lightning are Cup favourites. They looked solid to me so I don't know what on earth you were watching. The Redwings actually look good.

I legitimately believe they’re the most overrated team in the NHL.

I always feel like we can beat them in any given night. I truly don’t understand what some people besides TB fans see in them. Truly.

And yeah, I feel like they got lucky again tonight. I didn’t see anything that screamed cup favorites to me.

Reactions: Dotter

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I agree with both your sentiments Redder Winger and Voodoo :)

i enjoy the building and crafting of the team, fantasy GM mode is fun.
i am just saying i expect us to miss the playoffs and continue rebuilding..... it would be "confusing" (surprising) if we made the playoffs

That's why there's the saying, "The games aren't played on paper."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad