Tambellini vs. Fritsche

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
Just wondering who you guys think is a better prospect here. Obviously, Fritsche has already played in the NHL, but I'm wondering about their futures. In their primes, who do you think will be the better player, Dan Fritsche or Jeff Tambellini?

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
.....I think Tambellini may actually be slightly more skilled [scoring & puck handling] but I believe that Fritsche has more potential to do better in the NHL. I just think DF's a bit tougher and more solid....I consider Tambellini to be a half-way decent hockey player and he should do ok in the league, but I think Fritsche just has better long-term potential.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
.....I think Tambellini may actually be slightly more skilled [scoring & puck handling] but I believe that Fritsche has more potential to do better in the NHL. I just think DF's a bit tougher and more solid....I consider Tambellini to be a half-way decent hockey player and he should do ok in the league, but I think Fritsche just has better long-term potential.
I feel the same way.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Tambellini should be pretty good unless he gets hit with the Kings injury bug (i hope not). Fritsche might put up good points if the Jackets don't find a true number guy to go along with Nash and Zherdev.

Default101

Knowing Fritsche personally and seeing him play many of times in Sarnia including his first game back from WORLD JRS and COLUMBUS, Sarnia retired his jersey, he's a classy indivdual... His family wanted him to play for either Plymouth or Erie, or he woulda went #1 overall, and sarnia took a chance at him at #7 and wow did it ever pay off, he wanted to play for Columbus very badly, and he ended up there i think playing in his home state will only bring more outta him i have heard some about Tambellini and should be good but i don't think he'll compare to Fritsche, just think how good Fritsche would be without the screws in his shoulder! he was out for like what 8 months with shoulder surgery? and he's still great so pending Fritsche doesn't re-injure his shoulder hands down Fritsche will have the better career, if he messes up that shoulder again i'm not too sure

Default101

MePutPuckInNet said:
I'll start out by saying everyone is entitled to their opinion, but with all NHL play asside have you seen the way Fritsche skates around OHL defenceman and players in general, he may not have been above avg. in the nhl but the same goes for Tambellini if he was in the NHL i've seen michigan play and i've seen Fritsche live and from waht i've seen Fritsche does wonders when he's controling the puck.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I was pissed when the Canucks didn't take Tambellini... I'm very high on him, and he to me seems more skilled and boy is this kid fast!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Tambellini by far IMO. Fritsche may have the tools to be a succesful NHLer, but Tambellini is has him squared. Speed, skating, a shot that is out of this world, the addition of a defensive game, make Tambs a better pick for me.

There are two catagories that Fritsche may lead in, playmaking, and physical play. However, his durability has already come into question.

I didn't know how good Tambellini was until I saw him so much last year, and this was part of this was playing with a broken bone in his arm; and he was still great!

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Fritsche. I would have said so before the draft last year, and I'm at the same point right now.

Tambellini is fast. Very fast. But I don't like his scoring upside. He reminds me of Chuck Kobasew in that he runs around and has some nifty little plays, but he's not a naturally gifted player. That's why Kobasew was considered a potential sniper, but now looks like a third liner at best. It's not as though Tambellini has stone hands, he makes some nice moves, but I just don't like his overall finishing skills and don't see much in the way of a goal scorer's touch.

That being said, Fritsche's not a pure goal scorer either, but I like his playmaking ability, and I see that as a potential generator of points. I've long compared Fritsche to Mike Fisher, although it seems like ever roughly 6'0" tall OHL forward who has speed, energy and good but not great offensive upside is (see Dave Bolland, Ryan Garlock), so I don't know if that is particularily useful. That said, I think Fritsche could put up 50-60 points in the NHL pretty consistently. He could even be a more physical, less heralded version of Chris Drury.

Anyways, it's reasonably close, but personally, I'm more swayed by my own questions about Tambellini's pure offensive ability than Fritsche's shoulder problems.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Right now I have to say Fritsche. My impression is that he plays a smarter game than Tambellini, but I can't tell if that's because Tambellini can rely on his skating to get scoring opportunities. That aside, I still prefer the more rounded out game that Fritsche plays, and he is probably less liable to be made ineffective in a game (like he doesn't necessarily have to score to make an impact, whereas Tambellini does).

In the future, who knows. Tambellini has excellent work ethic, and most of my knocks on him are very correctable. My worry on Fritsche is whether or not his more physical play and his shoulder health are mutually exclusive.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hossa said:
Fritsche. I would have said so before the draft last year, and I'm at the same point right now.

Tambellini is fast. Very fast. But I don't like his scoring upside. He reminds me of Chuck Kobasew in that he runs around and has some nifty little plays, but he's not a naturally gifted player. That's why Kobasew was considered a potential sniper, but now looks like a third liner at best. It's not as though Tambellini has stone hands, he makes some nice moves, but I just don't like his overall finishing skills and don't see much in the way of a goal scorer's touch.

That being said, Fritsche's not a pure goal scorer either, but I like his playmaking ability, and I see that as a potential generator of points. I've long compared Fritsche to Mike Fisher, although it seems like ever roughly 6'0" tall OHL forward who has speed, energy and good but not great offensive upside is (see Dave Bolland, Ryan Garlock), so I don't know if that is particularily useful. That said, I think Fritsche could put up 50-60 points in the NHL pretty consistently. He could even be a more physical, less heralded version of Chris Drury.

Anyways, it's reasonably close, but personally, I'm more swayed by my own questions about Tambellini's pure offensive ability than Fritsche's shoulder problems.

I think you're way off on Kobasew. Given first line ice time, he would be a 30 goal scorer. He gets better, and adds a different aspect to his game everytime I see him.

Tambellini is a pure sniper, much like Pavel Bure. I have doubts about whether he will make in the Kings organization because of this. Andy Murray is horrible at playing to players strengths.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I think you're way off on Kobasew. Given first line ice time, he would be a 30 goal scorer. He gets better, and adds a different aspect to his game everytime I see him.

Tambellini is a pure sniper, much like Pavel Bure. I have doubts about whether he will make in the Kings organization because of this. Andy Murray is horrible at playing to players strengths.

Can't agree on Kobasew. As I said, I like him a lot, but I'm not a fan of his finishing ability. It starts back in the WJC a few years back when he was on a line with Jason Spezza. And Kobasew's inability to finish the chances Spezza gave him, often on a nice silver platter, was quite dissapointing. He's a great skater, with loads of energy and some slick, learned moves, but I don't think he has good goal scoring instincts. A 30 goal scorer in today's NHL is a pretty darn good player. Patrick Marleau for example, has yet to score 30 goals in the NHL. He's put up 28, and is a 30 goal calibre player, he just hastn' netted two more goals to make it official.

The other problem with Kobasew is that he can get knocked off the puck too easily. If he bulks up a few pounds, I think he'll be a Chad Kilger type of player. I don't see Kobasew as a big goal scorer. Saprykin is the young Flame who I see scoring a lot of goals in the NHL. But I just don't think Kobasew has what it takes to be a first line player in the NHL.

As for Tambellini, I'd want to see more of him to be more adamant in my questioning his upside. He's a great skater no doubt. And I think he's already more advanced in his checking game than Bure ever was (although I'd still take Fritsche in this regard). But I guess it's the same as Kobasew. Something about them makes me question their goal scoring ability. Some players like Kobasew can put up big numbers right away in college because it's a game that plays into the hands of the smaller, speedy players. That to me explains why guys like Tambellini and Kobasew can walk in and score immediately and in Tambellini's case, why he may have struggled in his second year a bit. He didn't have to adapt to the college game off the bat because he's fast and has a great shot, so he hit the ground running. Now teams have begun adapting to him, and he struggles a bit.

That's just my feeling though. I have never seen Tambellini playing in college, so if you have, you're probably more qualified to make that type of assessment. I'm just a sceptic though.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hossa said:
Can't agree on Kobasew. As I said, I like him a lot, but I'm not a fan of his finishing ability. It starts back in the WJC a few years back when he was on a line with Jason Spezza. And Kobasew's inability to finish the chances Spezza gave him, often on a nice silver platter, was quite dissapointing. He's a great skater, with loads of energy and some slick, learned moves, but I don't think he has good goal scoring instincts. A 30 goal scorer in today's NHL is a pretty darn good player. Patrick Marleau for example, has yet to score 30 goals in the NHL. He's put up 28, and is a 30 goal calibre player, he just hastn' netted two more goals to make it official.

The other problem with Kobasew is that he can get knocked off the puck too easily. If he bulks up a few pounds, I think he'll be a Chad Kilger type of player. I don't see Kobasew as a big goal scorer. Saprykin is the young Flame who I see scoring a lot of goals in the NHL. But I just don't think Kobasew has what it takes to be a first line player in the NHL.

As for Tambellini, I'd want to see more of him to be more adamant in my questioning his upside. He's a great skater no doubt. And I think he's already more advanced in his checking game than Bure ever was (although I'd still take Fritsche in this regard). But I guess it's the same as Kobasew. Something about them makes me question their goal scoring ability. Some players like Kobasew can put up big numbers right away in college because it's a game that plays into the hands of the smaller, speedy players. That to me explains why guys like Tambellini and Kobasew can walk in and score immediately and in Tambellini's case, why he may have struggled in his second year a bit. He didn't have to adapt to the college game off the bat because he's fast and has a great shot, so he hit the ground running. Now teams have begun adapting to him, and he struggles a bit.

That's just my feeling though. I have never seen Tambellini playing in college, so if you have, you're probably more qualified to make that type of assessment. I'm just a sceptic though.

I'm thinking Kobasew is going to surprise you in the next few years. ;)

As for Tambellini, we'll have to see how he pans out when hit hits the bigs. Next year however, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a Hobey Baker finalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->