Talbot, Fleury Q Players of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEli*

Talbot should be in WBS next season. He's third in Q scoring behind Crosby (124) and Roussin (110) with 94 points. This is his overage year and even if it wasn't, he's really got nothing left to prove in the CHL. He's a proven playmaker, he can score, he's a great two way player and he captained the Olympiques to a Memorial Cup berth last year.

Talbot was huge in the playoff run last year and as much as I hate giving credit to any Hull/Gatineau player, he deserves it. Talbot, Daoust and Brunelle was basically unstoppable and I'm sure it was great experience for Maxime.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
PEli said:
Talbot should be in WBS next season. He's third in Q scoring behind Crosby (124) and Roussin (110) with 94 points. This is his overage year and even if it wasn't, he's really got nothing left to prove in the CHL. He's a proven playmaker, he can score, he's a great two way player and he captained the Olympiques to a Memorial Cup berth last year.

Talbot was huge in the playoff run last year and as much as I hate giving credit to any Hull/Gatineau player, he deserves it. Talbot, Daoust and Brunelle was basically unstoppable and I'm sure it was great experience for Maxime.

Actually, it's not his over-age season as evidenced by the fact he was able to play in the WJC, but the rest of the post is correct. He'll be in the AHL next year in all likelihood and has little left to do except win that one extra game called the Memorial Cup Championship. He may be the only person who could unseat Crosby for MVP, considering Talbot has played a handful fewer games and his ability to play a complete game, he could win it as well.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hossa said:
Actually, it's not his over-age season as evidenced by the fact he was able to play in the WJC, but the rest of the post is correct. He'll be in the AHL next year in all likelihood and has little left to do except win that one extra game called the Memorial Cup Championship. He may be the only person who could unseat Crosby for MVP, considering Talbot has played a handful fewer games and his ability to play a complete game, he could win it as well.

Talbot is plus 31 on Gatineau (plus 409 as a team). Crosby is plus 42 for Rimouski (plus 110 as a team). To put this in perspective Rimouski as a team was plus 200 roughly with Crosby on the ice and minus roughly 90 when he wasn't.

PEli*

Hossa said:

My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Crosbyfan said:
Talbot is plus 31 on Gatineau (plus 409 as a team). Crosby is plus 42 for Rimouski (plus 110 as a team). To put this in perspective Rimouski as a team was plus 200 roughly with Crosby on the ice and minus roughly 90 when he wasn't.

+/- is a useless stat, always has been, always will be.

I don't think anyone is going to question Talbot's defense.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, right now Talbot is scoring more than Crosby while being a defensive force (and scoring way more shorthanded goals) while being clutch (way more game winning goals as well).

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Crosbyfan said:

Obviously anyone would rather have Crosby in thier orginization, but I don't think there is much question that Talbot is a more complete player without the puck than is Crosby.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
+/- is a useless stat, always has been, always will be.

I don't think anyone is going to question Talbot's defense.

You obviously have no idea how to read plus/minus which is a very good stat for Talbot as well. It indicates he is more than solid both ways.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Of course Crosby's plus/minus will be through the roof. That's what will happen when the two top scorers in a league play on a line together.

That's not to speak of Crosby's defensive abilities, which I know nothing of, because I've never seen him play.

But +/- overall can be misleading if you never watch a player actually play.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
stardog said:
Obviously anyone would rather have Crosby in thier orginization, but I don't think there is much question that Talbot is a more complete player without the puck than is Crosby.

OK then Crosby is just lucky on a consistent basis. :joker:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Evilo said:
Yes, right now Talbot is scoring more than Crosby while being a defensive force (and scoring way more shorthanded goals) while being clutch (way more game winning goals as well).

Twice as many short handed goals but I doubt he has anything like twice as many shorthanded points. Yes, he is outscoring Sid right now and has a well deserved player of the month, and a solid year overall, just not close to MVP over Sid IMO.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
MrKnowNothing said:
Of course Crosby's plus/minus will be through the roof. That's what will happen when the two top scorers in a league play on a line together.

That's not to speak of Crosby's defensive abilities, which I know nothing of, because I've never seen him play.

But +/- overall can be misleading if you never watch a player actually play.

Actually, if the top two scorers are sloppy on the defensive side they often have marginal or negative plus/minus stats.

"ANY" stats can be misleading, plus/minus when properly viewed, compared to team stats etc. keep some of the offensive stats "honest". Properly viewed (no serious math required) they need to be taken with no more grains of salt than other stats. They do seem to be all over the place comparing substantially similar players but if you look at them carefully, and question what's driving the plus side and minus side they're actually fairly predictable over a reasonable number of games.

The point being that, you're right, it helps Sid's plus/minus to have Roussin on his line, especially when Dany's defensively responsible.

But (to borrow/steal from another thread) a "fire hydrant" playing for Gatineau would have a positive plus/minus.

Guillaume Latendresse also has an impressive plus/minus (highest on his team, +14 on a -85 Drummondville team). Compare that to Gilbert Brule at -2. This is not bad, 0 is average and Brule was probably on the ice for more than two empty net goals against, as he is the type of player to have on at those times and he's not playing for a "Gatineau" either, but its rare to have a 16 year old lead his team in plus/minus like Crosby or Latendresse in the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->