Taking advantage of our large fan base through twitter?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Was wondering if Leafs Nation could use twitter to attract Free Agents.

Some players like the idea of becoming celebrities, or might like the idea of being wanted by a certain fan base.

I was wondering, is there an upcoming UFA on twitter we could target and try and get some # trending about how much we want them to come to TO.

I was thinking Clowe is an option.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Speaking of twitter... JVR favourited one of my tweets today.

A lot of people will laugh at this idea, but it's actually not bad. It makes sense, in theory.

Like you said though, 'some' players. Entirely depends on the personality. I'd be down to make this happen though. If we were able to get Greg Scott trending, then I'm sure we can get Bring Clowe to Toronto trending :laugh:

DaveT83*

More primadonnas - great. No its a good idea. Could also increase trade value of players.
If management sees a devoted fan base online all desiring that players product/service they might be willing to sweeten the pot in order to obtain them.

#TradeKessel

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I remember brad richards twitter page the day he signed with the nyr it had all leaf fans on it. So in other words, tried and some players just don't want to come here and were just gonna have to deal with that.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
More primadonnas - great. No its a good idea. Could also increase trade value of players.
If management sees a devoted fan base online all desiring that players product/service they might be willing to sweeten the pot in order to obtain them.

#TradeKesselforMalkin
fixed it for ya.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
as we can see, most players are greedy ********. If they can sign in the states and pay less taxes they will. AKA why NYR is such a desired destination.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I remember brad richards twitter page the day he signed with the nyr it had all leaf fans on it. So in other words, tried and some players just don't want to come here and were just gonna have to deal with that.
I remember that also, his page was flooded for weeks leading up to July 1st. I see it working for the lower tiered guys that don't get as much attention, imagine guys like Domi and Belak still being here with twitter...

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
as we can see, most players are greedy ********. If they can sign in the states and pay less taxes they will. AKA why NYR is such a desired destination.

NY is on the high end of state income tax rates... not radically far off what it is in Ontario, although still less. I think there's a lot more federal exemption loopholes too though, compared to Canada. Florida, Texas.. no state income tax, probably helps them some.

Can't imagine a player making a major life and business decision being particularly swayed by Twitter activity. The most minor of minor considerations, amongst a sea of major ones.

Seriously.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

Umm what?

NYR are a desired destination because they are one of the best run teams in the league, a contending team and ontop of that, living in what is quite possibly the best city on earth is very attractive to UFAs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To me this would be a reason not to come. It would seem more of an annoyance then an attraction.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Umm what?

NYR are a desired destination because they are one of the best run teams in the league, a contending team and ontop of that, living in what is quite possibly the best city on earth is very attractive to UFAs.

New york hasnt really been a contendor until last season. However they still manage to get all of the high priced FA

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
salary_graf_velke.gif

I remember seeing this before. Shows that the difference isn't really all that much in the end (keep in mind I do not know the accuracy of these numbers). Regardless though the star players would be able to get endorsement deals easily catching them up to what they would earn in less income states.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->