Taking a look back at over 30 years worth of Habs prospect top 10 lists

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Surprised no Nygren since he's been one of the top scoring defensemen in the SHL all year. Reway is one of our most skilled prospects, I can see why some would leave him out of the top 10, I wouldn't in case he ever figures it out.

I still have Scherbak as our top prospect, he's got so much skill, just needs to get stronger. I don't agree with Hudon being that low either. I don't know if Vejdemo would be in my top 10, I saw a lot of him this year and I liked what I saw but he's still raw and has aways to go yet. I thought Lernout might sneak in the top 10, not sure if I would have him in mine or not but he's been in the top 4 for most of the year which is good to see. I would even consider Ellis in the top 10, not sure he would make my list either but I would have to think longer and hard about it since he's been their best defensemen since Barberio got called up.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Carr and Andrighetto are easily top 3 prospects for me (behind McCarron, mainly due to upside)... instead theyre #9/10 on the list :laugh:

And Lehkonen/Hudon should be #4/5, Juulsen #6.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I thought Garon was gonna be a stud. He even showed some flashes of that in the NHL, including a game in LA which I still consider to be one of the best goaltending performances I have ever seen.

I don't think it's a complete coincidence that LA traded for him soon after.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
i remember when i was very high on kristo and thought he was gonna be a great player with us, shame he had so much skill.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Garon was gonna be a stud. He even showed some flashes of that in the NHL, including a game in LA which I still consider to be one of the best goaltending performances I have ever seen.

I liked Garon up until the playoffs vs Hamilton, then the next season we moved our team to Hamilton and I thought he was outstanding and would turn into something really good for us. Oh well, goalies are tough to peg at least for me. I also think Yann Danis might do something as he was so good in the NCAA that year, yet if I saw Condon in the NCAA I doubt I would have given him a 2nd thought.

i remember when i was very high on kristo and thought he was gonna be a great player with us, shame he had so much skill.

I saw a ton of Kristo, he was the 2nd best player in the NCAA one year behind only Johnny hockey, but instead guys on his team that he was better then have already appeared in the NHL. Although I thought it wasn't a very smart move to sign with the blues, he should have went to a team like the Canes imo. A team with weaker depth that would give him a better shot at getting a look.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Carr and Andrighetto are easily top 3 prospects for me (behind McCarron, mainly due to upside)... instead theyre #9/10 on the list :laugh:

And Lehkonen/Hudon should be #4/5, Juulsen #6.

DLR isn't even in my top 10 anymore. Every single guy on the rest of that top 9 have bigger upside than him and maybe even Danault now does too so that's 10 guys ahead.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
To me going through the original post it's a reminder of the correlation between the draft and the success of the team.

Interesting tonight that they are talking about pushing the draft back to 19 year olds (with the exception of the first round).

I like the idea. The first year or two could be lean but it would give scouts longer to make evaluations. Probably better for the junior teams too.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

I remember Garon having a pair of games against the Thrashers I think it was (2000-2001 maybe?) as well where he stood on his head. Many thought he was better than Theodore and had the higher upside. In many ways, he did. It's a shame he didn't pan out as expected. But that's okay, within a few years some guy named Carey Price was drafted. :D

Last edited:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Imagine 2008 with Giroux instead of Fischer

I believe Timmins has admitted that not drafting Giroux is his biggest regret in the draft.

Giroux's career trajectory is pretty improbable.

In 2005, he went undrafted in the OHL for the second year in a row.

He then went to the Gatineau Olympiques on a walk-in tryout. By the end of the 2005-2006 season, he was named the rookie of the year in the Q.

That summer in 2006, he was drafted 22nd overall by Philly.

That's young Giroux in his Saku Koivu jersey.

C_1_.Giroux-2005_medium.jpg

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
We got a 2nd round compensatory pick for not signing Fischer. Anybody remember what happened to that pick?

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
We got a 2nd round compensatory pick for not signing Fischer. Anybody remember what happened to that pick?

It may have been for Lang.

It was one of the several rental/quick fix deals (Schneider, Wisniewski, Moore etc.)

Edit: it was for Wisniewski. Isles picked Johan Sundstron 2011 draft 50th.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Hudon was voted to be a lesser prospect than both Fucale and DLR? Is this a joke?
Look at the 9 players listed ahead of Gallagher in 2011.

Those lists are based on 'potential' which at the end of the day doesn't mean much unless you always keep improving.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Look at the 9 players listed ahead of Gallagher in 2011.

Those lists are based on 'potential' which at the end of the day doesn't mean much unless you always keep improving.

If it actually were based on potential it'd be even more inexcusable to have DLR and Fucale above Hudon. One has the max upside of a 3rd line player, while the other hasn't looked good since being drafted. It's absolutely ridiculous he's so low.

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Terry Ryan was missmanaged from day1. I believe at the draft someone high in the MTL organization called him Shane, the guy picked right before him, and the guy MTL probably wanted to draft.

I remember being pissed that we didn't pick Doan, based on nothin of course, aside from opinions of others who had seen him play, but his career is a sad sequence of events, ending with a bad injury which itself was probably poorely handled.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing

It was no coincidence, LA said that after that game he was on their radar for acquisition.

I also thought he was going to be real good, but then a commentator said that he always goes down on shots, I noticed it too and it made me wonder. The hybrid system dominates today. But then he just played so well.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Why were the Habs so bad at drafting in the 1st round in the 90's

Looking over some of the Habs draft classes from the 90's you can't help but notice how bad we did in the first round, could somebody give me a rundown on how an NHL franchise could manage to blow the majority of there first round picks for the better part of a decade? I know we managed a couple late round steals, but from the looks of it Koivu was the lone bright spot. What happened?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Le Gros Boeuf de l'Ouest... that's what happened. :laugh:

Joking aside, there was this obsession about size back then. Much worse than today. Habs were always drafting big guys, thinking, like many others, that 'size can't be taught'.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yeah, DPE was just hitting it's stride and GMs were obsessed with size and finding the next Neely/Marchment. Plus scouting was not as good as it today.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Can someone pull out the 2011 edition.....like to see what the previous regime left Bergevin in the prospect pool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->