T: Flames no longer Pursuing new Arena

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
An actual ROI would look at the actual investment from the cities involved. The City of Edmonton will invest three to four times what the City of Calgary proposed when you count lease payments, LRT expenses and demolition costs.

You would expect three to four times the return. JW Marriott is a white elephant already. The condos actually in the entertainment district count towards the rink. The other condos in the area, Q and Fox were in construction, or built before the rink was approved.

Take an honest look at the return and do it without being insulting.

Okay and look at the potential in those areas in Calgary.

Victoria Park. It's not going to add anything cause it's going in the same area as the Saddledome.

West Village. The land is shit, the area isn't rest to begin with. So there would be little to no development period outside of the arena.

So outside the arena the city gets nothing, so they are not camparable.

Last edited by a moderator:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
What "is on the Flames and their entitled owners"?

Nenshi was pretty dishonest in how he handled the rink. That whole infographic of the city contributing 1/3rd was a joke.

Nenshi doesn't want a new rink built. Maybe he listened to the voters, but probably not.

Calgary won't get a new deal to start building a rink until 2021 or later.

Nenshi will not change. One of the reasons that he was re-elected was for standing up to Bettman and King. Bettman and King are looked upon very unfavorably by a lot of people in Calgary, including many Flames fans.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that Nenshi says and does, but at least he has a vision. Smith is more or less just puppet in a suit without any of his own ideas.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't necessarily agree with everything that Nenshi says and does, but at least he has a vision. Smith is more or less just puppet in a suit without any of his own ideas.

Smith just had a different vision for the city. Nenshi is about high taxes and pushing a progressive agenda. Smith was about keeping spending under control and keeping taxes down.

It's a little ridiculous that now Nenshi is proposing a hiring freeze.

It's really tough to beat an incumbent mayor. Nenshi got 74% of the vote in 2013 and only 51% last time. Smith did a pretty good job in cutting into Nenshi's support.

Either Nenshi learns a lesson from last night and is a little more humble as mayor this term or he won't get another term.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Smith just had a different vision for the city. Nenshi is about high taxes and pushing a progressive agenda. Smith was about keeping spending under control and keeping taxes down.

It's a little ridiculous that now Nenshi is proposing a hiring freeze.

It's really tough to beat an incumbent mayor. Nenshi got 74% of the vote in 2013 and only 51% last time. Smith did a pretty good job in cutting into Nenshi's support.

Either Nenshi learns a lesson from last night and is a little more humble as mayor this term or he won't get another term.

Yeah, I also dislike how Nenshi is all about spending money like a drunken sailor and I think that he runs for provinicial or federal politics instead of seeking another term. Like him or hate him, he's a pretty smart, charismatic guy.

Maybe Smith runs and wins the next election, but he needs to offer up more than "taxes are too damn high!" and "I am not Nenshi"

I know a few people in Calgary who aren't happy with Nenshi, but didn't see Smith as a competent replacement. Most voted Nenshi, some voted Andre Chabot.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Entirely OT, but when a candidate releases a full-page ad that has 5 grammar/spelling errors in it, it's hard to take him seriously, imo.

What does that have to do with how he would run the city? If you owned property in Calgary would you prefer paying 50% more in property taxes because the mayor's communications team is more professional? Is it worth Calgary losing the Flames because Nenshi's opponent didn't use Grammarly?

Are three commas in a sentence ever grammatically correct?

Using the numeral between zero and nine is also not appropriate according to the Canadian Press style book.

See how those last two points show how pedantic being a grammar Nazi really is? Glass houses, etc...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What does that have to do with how he would run the city? If you owned property in Calgary would you prefer paying 50% more in property taxes because the mayor's communications team is more professional? Is it worth losing the Flames because Nenshi's opponent didn't use Grammarly?

Using the numeral between zero and nine is also not appropriate according to the Canadian Press style book.

See how those last two points show how pedantic being a grammar Nazi really is? Glass houses, etc...
If someone running the city can't proof read their advertisements that makes you question their attention to detail which can be important when running a big city.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I know a few people in Calgary who aren't happy with Nenshi, but didn't see Smith as a competent replacement. Most voted Nenshi, some voted Andre Chabot.

Chabot got a whole 3% of the vote. You may know most of the people who voted for him. :laugh:

If someone running the city can't proof read their advertisements that makes you question their attention to detail which can be important when running a big city.

Use grammatically correct sentences when questioning a candidate on the grammar in his advertisements. Glass houses, etc...

If the Flames are more likely to stay in Calgary with a mayor whose grammar ain't so good I'm all for it. :D

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The thing with Nenshi isn't that he doesn't want taxpayer dollars going towards a new rink but he wants it to be provincial or federal tax dollars. He wanted to bid on the 2026 Winter Olympics, which would cost probably $4.6B, which $2.4 B would be from taxpayers. What should've come up in this election is that Calgary city council voted down a plebiscite on whether whether or not to pursue the games, which would've been voted down soundly. I don't think this was brought up and Nenshi (and whoever was with him) got off the hook.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What does that have to do with how he would run the city? If you owned property in Calgary would you prefer paying 50% more in property taxes because the mayor's communications team is more professional? Is it worth Calgary losing the Flames because Nenshi's opponent didn't use Grammarly?

You seem awfully invested in this Calgary arena fiasco and extremely passionate in your views. Why is that? Just an honest question since you seem so heavily invested in it.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006

The difference is most of us don’t expect perfect grammar from a random internet poster. I think it’s ok to hold a lawyer who wants to be mayor to a higher standard, no?

I personally am glad Nenshi won, I think he’s a closet Oiler fan who will cause the Flames more discomfort than even McDavid could.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You seem awfully invested in this Calgary arena fiasco and extremely passionate in your views. Why is that? Just an honest question since you seem so heavily invested in it.

I truly and honestly think the Flames might move if they don't get a new rink. I believe the experience as an Oilers fan is better when Calgary has a team that the Oilers can beat regularly.

Part of my passion comes from government money going to the AGA, the RAM or the Winspear with no questions asked. However, when it comes to a hockey rink that holds big concerts there should be no tax dollars involved? It's just snobbery. People are better if they attend events at the AGA/RAM/Winspear than those who attend stuff at Rogers.

The difference is most of us don’t expect perfect grammar from a random internet poster. I think it’s ok to hold a lawyer who wants to be mayor to a higher standard, no?

I personally am glad Nenshi won, I think he’s a closet Oiler fan who will cause the Flames more discomfort than even McDavid could.

I don't expect perfect grammar from an Internet poster and only call them on it when they are calling others on their grammar. It just shows how hypocritical people are when judging others for standards they don't live up to themselves.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
I truly and honestly think the Flames might move if they don't get a new rink. I believe the experience as an Oilers fan is better when Calgary has a team that the Oilers can beat regularly.

Part of my passion comes from government money going to the AGA, the RAM or the Winspear with no questions asked. However, when it comes to a hockey rink that holds big concerts there should be no tax dollars involved? It's just snobbery. People are better if they attend events at the AGA/RAM/Winspear than those who attend stuff at Rogers.

I don't expect perfect grammar from an Internet poster and only call them on it when they are calling others on their grammar. It just shows how hypocritical people are when judging others for standards they don't live up to themselves.

As I said, there are different standards for different people. I can make a mistake adding my bills up, but my accountant shouldn’t. I can make a spelling mistake in an internet post, but a lawyer running for mayor should not in his full page ad in the Herald. Expecting more from your leaders isn’t hypocrisy it’s good common sense.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As I said, there are different standards for different people. I can make a mistake adding my bills up, but my accountant shouldn’t. I can make a spelling mistake in an internet post, but a lawyer running for mayor should not in his full page ad in the Herald. Expecting more from your leaders isn’t hypocrisy it’s good common sense.
Is he a lawyer running for mayor, or a university English professor?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Is he a lawyer running for mayor, or a university English professor?

Bingo. Stuff happens in the midst of a campaign. If that ad was a decisive factor and caused 10% of the voters to change their choice from Smith to Nenshi then I guess Smith deserved to lose.

I suspect anyone hammering Smith on the typos wouldn't have voted for him anyways.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
He’s not an English professor. But he is a lawyer who I expect to have full command of the written language. These were grade school level errors, it does speak to his written communication skills and lack of proof reading. Do an experiment for me next time you apply for a job. Pepper your cover page with half a dozen spelling or grammatical errors. See how many call backs you get.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He’s not an English professor. But he is a lawyer who I expect to have full command of the written language. These were grade school level errors, it does speak to his written communication skills and lack of proofreading. Do an experiment for me next time you apply for a job. Pepper your cover page with half a dozen spelling or grammatical errors. See how many call backs you get.

Do you think for one second he wrote or proofread the ad?

There are a million things going on in a campaign. The candidate doesn't have time to proofread that stuff. Sure it's on him for not hiring competent staff.

I like how you ignored my point that anyone belabouring the typos wouldn't vote for him anyways. So I'll ask you directly. Would you have voted for Smith but for the typos in that one ad?

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
Do you think for one second he wrote or proofread the ad?

There are a million things going on in a campaign. The candidate doesn't have time to proofread that stuff. Sure it's on him for not hiring competent staff.

I like how you ignored my point that anyone belabouring the typos wouldn't vote for him anyways. So I'll ask you directly. Would you have voted for Smith but for the typos in that one ad?

I doubt there are a million things going on in a civic election, and you're just building him an excuse. The incumbent candidate still had time to fulfill his mayoral duties while running a campaign. I think Smith had direct input into this ad, and someone on his staff will be scapegoated for the errors. But I'm speculating just as you are.

I had no dog in this race, I barely paid attention. I jumped in this discussion when you called a fellow poster a hypocrite for finding spelling and grammar errors embarrassing and damaging to Smith's credibility. I don't agree with you, there's no hypocrisy holding those who would lead us to higher standards.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Flames suck, and the experience of losing them would also temporarily suck. Just as the pain and bitterness for some about the Hall trade is still bothering some, time heals everything. Bring on them Seattle Flames. Would love to see a live NHL game there featuring the Oilers. 1 Team in a market of 2.5 mill? (Edmonton, Calgary + surrounding areas) Juicy af.
tenor.gif

Alberta-Oilers-1972-600x450.jpg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I doubt there are a million things going on in a civic election, and you're just building him an excuse. QUOTE]

You have never been involved in an election campaign on any level.

Would you have voted for him but for the spelling mistakes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad