T: Flames no longer Pursuing new Arena

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
Mods need to move this into the Calgary forum. Don't really care about Calgary and the idiots running that team or the city officials.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When you’re proposal is essentially “you pay for everything and we keep all the revenue” you shouldn’t really be surprised when it’s turned down. Yet the Flames are.

I was always against the deal Katz got here but at least he was able to put the development together that he did to earn the support he eventually got. I’d really love to see what the Flames are proposing to do in that area to make it worth it for the city. So far it just looks like their argument is Edmonton got it, you have to give it to us too. That air of entitlement is sickening.

I’m sure it’ll get done at some point. It’s just infuriating to see sports owners continue to hold a fan base that has always supported them hostage

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
“If you think we’re trying to interfere in the civic election, then you really don’t know us that well” -Ken King

King is pretty dead on. It looks like Nensih will lose the election, but the rink will have little to no impact on the results.

When times were good and the money was flowing it was fine for the citizens to vote in a progressive mayor who also helps to prove that the city has 'arrived' in terms of diversity.

Now that the city is in the midst of a crushing recession people want a mayor who will focus on business and getting people back to work. Nenshi losing the election is just a bonus for the Flames.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
King is pretty dead on. It looks like Nensih will lose the election, but the rink will have little to no impact on the results.

When times were good and the money was flowing it was fine for the citizens to vote in a progressive mayor who also helps to prove that the city has 'arrived' in terms of diversity.

Now that the city is in the midst of a crushing recession people want a mayor who will focus on business and getting people back to work. Nenshi losing the election is just a bonus for the Flames.
I haven’t been following the election in Calgary. Is Nenshi really in trouble? When this mess started a month or so ago everyone was saying he was a lock for re-election.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why does Nenshi claim he is losing? Cuz racism! I guess it is somehow better than blaming Flames fans. The video is interesting.

Quote from a CBC story no less.

"And we know that they are using a lot of technology to get people who don't believe in diversity, to get people who might be racist, or haters, out to vote. So we have to make sure we vote in even greater numbers."

Sounds like a guy who is desperate.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why does Nenshi claim he is losing? Cuz racism! I guess it is somehow better than blaming Flames fans. The video is interesting.

Couldn't care less about the Calgary mayor race, or the Calgary arena, but after that divisive statement full of worthless buzzwords and racial victimization; I sure as hell hope Nenshi loses the election.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Couldn't care less about the Calgary mayor race, or the Calgary arena, but after that divisive statement full of worthless buzzwords and racial victimization; I sure as hell hope Nenshi loses the election.

I care about the Flames getting a new rink. The Oilers beating a competitive Flames makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

Wanted Nenshi to lose because it makes a new rink more likely. This last little whine seals his fate. He wouldn't be going there if it wasn't clear he was going to lose.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Funny I just saw a story saying a poll showed Nenshi up 15 points. 32 point swing between these 2 recent polls. I blame...Russia?

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
That interview will seal his fate. People are getting fed up with that word being thrown around for no reason.
That is awful I hate when Identity Politics is used .If that is the tactics he uses to get back as mayor then I will not vote for him(if I lived in Calgary).

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Funny I just saw a story saying a poll showed Nenshi up 15 points. 32 point swing between these 2 recent polls. I blame...Russia?

There's a reason we provide links for these things. Here's the poll you quote.

Mainstreet is a polling company that samples, or tries to sample, random polls. They did the poll showing Smith up.

AskingCanadians does online opinion surveys that are entirely voluntary. People have to sign up to be in their polls. They did the poll showing Nenshi up.

I'm not sure if Nenshi is down 17 points, but I'd guess that's closer to the truth than Nenshi having a 15 point lead.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
There's a reason we provide links for these things. Here's the poll you quote.

Mainstreet is a polling company that samples, or tries to sample, random polls. They did the poll showing Smith up.

AskingCanadians does online opinion surveys that are entirely voluntary. People have to sign up to be in their polls. They did the poll showing Nenshi up.

I'm not sure if Nenshi is down 17 points, but I'd guess that's closer to the truth than Nenshi having a 15 point lead.

Both polls have their flaws. Hell, every poll has flaws. I think it's closer than 15 points either way.

It'll be close and it'll be really interesting to see who gets elected. It'll effect the whole province, not just Calgary. Both Smith and Nenshi are quite different.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Haven't been following this very much, but Nenshi's comment there probably just cost him an election. Playing the Race/Ethnicity card is a VERY slippery slope. What a f***ing tool.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Both polls have their flaws. Hell, every poll has flaws. I think it's closer than 15 points either way.

That's a pretty easy statement to make. The flaws are hugely different.

Asking Canadians pays people (kinda) to participate in their polls and are totally voluntary. If you participate in polls you get entries to some draws for gift cards and such.

Mainstreet, like most of the respectable polling industry, is having problems reaching people with landlines basically being dead.

Sure there are flaws with both, but it's like comparing Chia's flaws as GM to MacT's. Neither are perfect, but I have a heckuva lot more faith in Chia than I ever had in MacT.

Neither Mainstreet nor Asking Canadians are perfect but I have a heckuva lot more faith in Mainstreet.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
If the results stand as they are at the moment, I'd say that the ownership of the Flames will begin to sell off their stakes in the team, as they're all getting pretty old already. I doubt any of them would take larger portions, or sole ownership. I would imagine that a new owner or group will come in and then make a decision. If the negotiations still go bad, there won't be a new rink and the Saddledome will just be a more recent sports venue along the lines of McMahon Stadium.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Nenshi won it looks like. Flames media director with some kind words

Table is all set for nice calm rational negotiations now between 2 groups with mutual respect for eachother.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nenshi won it looks like. Flames media director with some kind words

Table is all set for nice calm rational negotiations now between 2 groups with mutual respect for eachother.

Another one from earlier in the day:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yikes, some ugly stuff going down in Calgary. How long do mayor's hold seats up there before the next election? 4 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad