T: Flames no longer Pursuing new Arena

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I remember Flame fans laughing at us when Katz used the Seattle threat. Karma's a b****

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ironically, we got lucky that our downtown was decrepit and declining. That was the only way Katz got enough support for his project.

Calgary OTOH has no such need for revitalization, and there is not enough support for public funding of a new arena there.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
As much as we hate the Flames it would suck to lose them in Calgary. Hopefully they can get creative and find a solution. It does seem odd that Seattle made their arena announcement yesterday though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Alberta losing the Flames would suck. I can't stand the Flames but their fans booed that ******* Pronger after he shunned us so that gained their fans respect in my eyes. No BOA would really, really suck.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I might be in the minority, but I don't find that to be particularly great or funny news, despite the chirping by Flames fans when we had our issues. Neither city wants to see the other one's team move. A healthy Edmonton and Calgary is good for rivalry and some fantastic games. Anyone around for the 80's battles can attest to that.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The thing with a new arena in Calgary is where to put it. I definitely wouldn't put it on a creosote soaked field on a flood plain. Maybe they were looking at the parking are to the north of the Saddledome. Still, it'd have to be built somewhere else close to traffic.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Yeah, they were pretty convinced it would be done very quickly and behind doors.

Yah a bunch of them were saying how Katz and the Oilers were so classless.. blah blah blah... and how the Flames organization would never treat or threaten their fans like that. Its the only reason I can't feel any sympathy for them right now.

The chances of the Flames leaving Calgary however, is pretty much zero.. just like the Oilers leaving Edmonton. If the NHL can make hockey work in Phoenix for this long.. how can they even allow a successful franchise like the Flames up and leave Calgary? Just a bunch of posturing. Hopefully for Calgary sake, the new council and mayor will work better with the Flames in reaching an arena deal.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Alberta losing the Flames would suck. I can't stand the Flames but their fans booed that ******* Pronger after he shunned us so that gained their fans respect in my eyes. No BOA would really, really suck.

Completely agree, all is fair in love and war except that! Hopefully its a ploy.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I hate the flames more than any other professional sports team. But I do not want them to move, I want to win the battle and enjoy the ride. Not watch them simply withdraw.

I feel like since they just announced the arena renovations in Seattle they are taking a page from the Katz playbook and will utilize Seattle as leverage.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Any price tag estimate for this victoria park proposal? Just seems like a horrible time for asking for crazy amounts of public money with the economy in this prolonged rough patch.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Yah a bunch of them were saying how Katz and the Oilers were so classless.. blah blah blah... and how the Flames organization would never treat or threaten their fans like that. Its the only reason I can't feel any sympathy for them right now.

The chances of the Flames leaving Calgary however, is pretty much zero.. just like the Oilers leaving Edmonton. If the NHL can make hockey work in Phoenix for this long.. how can they even allow a successful franchise like the Flames up and leave Calgary? Just a bunch of posturing. Hopefully for Calgary sake, the new council and mayor will work better with the Flames in reaching an arena deal.

Clearly it would be a PR nightmare for the NHL if they tried to move a profitable franchise because the city didn't want to give them free money. I guarantee the Flames will not be going anywhere. It's amazing to see how many profitable NHL teams have managed to get tax payer money. Bettman has coached his BOG well.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
I hate the flames more than any other professional sports team. But I do not want them to move, I want to win the battle and enjoy the ride. Not watch them simply withdraw.

I feel like since they just announced the arena renovations in Seattle they are taking a page from the Katz playbook and will utilize Seattle as leverage.

Calgary is smarter then Edmonton, they will call his bluff and he can build his own damn arena. Zero chance the league allows him to move the team.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Calgary is smarter then Edmonton, they will call his bluff and he can build his own damn arena. Zero chance the league allows him to move the team.

Yeah, the last thing the league wants is relocation. I'm sure when times get desperate something will give and they will stay. As for the flames actually leaving I truly do not care. Probably a little mean to say, but that's my honest feelings.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Chicken**** political posturing to coincide with the Seattle arena announcement. They couldn't use this tactic for the Coyotes because nobody in that market would give a **** if the team moved. On the flipside, they aren't going to move the team from Calgary because no available market would even be close to as lucrative.

Good on the Calgary government for standing up to these weasel-worded parasites.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, the last thing the league wants is relocation. I'm sure when times get desperate something will give and they will stay. As for the flames actually leaving I truly do not care. Probably a little mean to say, but that's my honest feelings.

If you look at the pattern of teams moving, it is often the arena being the major factor, and economic factors are secondary. That's why Atlanta moved, even though the league really wanted that market. That's why the Isles could move, even though they are important to league history because of the dynasty. The arena factor is massive.

I hope the Flames stay in Calgary. Just look at a map. We will be stuck all alone here up north lol.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As a hockey fan I could care less if Calgary relocates to Seattle. The BOA is probably currently the biggest rivalry in the NHL and thats rather sad. Calgary fans are strange, fickle, and generally just too annoying to seriously consider a true rival. Thier team is getting good again but instead of enjoying it they always have to exaggerate how good thier team actually is.

As an Albertian I think losing Calgary Flames would hurt an already hurting economy. So for that reason and that reason alone I hope they stay put.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you look at the pattern of teams moving, it is often the arena being the major factor, and economic factors are secondary. That's why Atlanta moved, even though the league really wanted that market. That's why the Isles could move, even though they are important to league history because of the dynasty. The arena factor is massive.

I hope the Flames stay in Calgary. Just look at a map. We will be stuck all alone here up north lol.

Need a split in time so we can see the alternate reality where the Flames move. Really curious of how many flames fans give in and jump on the Oilers bandwagon :)

McSaveUs

Apr 8, 2017
everyone is feeling bad for them yet when we had our problems they laughed in our face . Go Oilers Go could care less about what happens in cowtown! either get stuff done or just move on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad