T-Blades

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I would much rather prefer regular sharpening. Cost more who cares. I can customize my blades however I want. I still think T-blades are a waste of money.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
it's a pretty common opinion.

The best T-blade moment I heard about was when a guy on my team shattered another guy's T-blade with a slapshot. Blade, holder, everything.

There are ways of keeping metal blades sharp longer- those handheld sharpeners. They cost 20 bucks and your blades last at least 2 or 3 times as long.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
it's a pretty common opinion.

The best T-blade moment I heard about was when a guy on my team shattered another guy's T-blade with a slapshot. Blade, holder, everything.

There are ways of keeping metal blades sharp longer- those handheld sharpeners. They cost 20 bucks and your blades last at least 2 or 3 times as long.

My best T-blade moment, this guy had T-blades on Vapor XXX and we compared weight to sportchek bought low end skates. And the low end skates weighed less.
Now a few grams aren't gonna end the world but come on.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I agree, but in some cases (like if I move to Mexico) they're needed.

I'm not going to drop my skates (that are the 9k pumps) off and let the blades get mangeled. No thank you.

I'd rather have the Tblades and have them permenantly sharp.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I agree, but in some cases (like if I move to Mexico) they're needed.

I'm not going to drop my skates (that are the 9k pumps) off and let the blades get mangeled. No thank you.

I'd rather have the Tblades and have them permenantly sharp.

And that kind of thing is probalby the best use for them- when you can't really get reliable sharpening. Otherwise Steel blades are still better. Think about it. If Tblades were the best option all the time, every pro would use them. Barely any do.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
And that kind of thing is probalby the best use for them- when you can't really get reliable sharpening. Otherwise Steel blades are still better. Think about it. If Tblades were the best option all the time, every pro would use them. Barely any do.

Pros get paid to wear/use the equipment they use, or at least get it for free...do you?
Do you know how many blades, skates, holders, etc. pros go through in one season alone?
I don't compare myself to the pros, because it just doesn't make any sense.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pros get paid to wear/use the equipment they use, or at least get it for free...do you?
Do you know how many blades, skates, holders, etc. pros go through in one season alone?
I don't compare myself to the pros, because it just doesn't make any sense.

yes some are, but not every guy. Also, not the blade holders. There are a lot of guys who change the blades on their skates from what they come with to a holder they like more. Usually that's a Tuuk blade.
aagz063_8x10-2005-2006awayactionalexander-ovechkin-posters.jpg

That's Ovechkin wearing a pair of CCM skates with a Bauer Tuuk Lightspeed holder. They will change the holder to what they like best, they'll just take off the logo if it doesn't match their skates.

And I'm pretty sure the only people using Tblades in the NHL are paid to do so, a few German guys use them (a german company makes them)

Your game may not be on the same level as a pro, but you can bet that they have a better sense of what equipment performs better then you do.

PlaywithGutz*

Reading this topic has given me one of the biggest surprises of my life. I have dealt with a bunch of them before (selling, replacing, etc. at my job) and think they're one of the worst ideas ever. I am honestly surprised that there are this many people in the world that like them. Interesting.

why do you think they are one of the worst ideas...just curious?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Listen to a set of T-Blades, it's a distinct and annoying sound. Besides that I know a few people who actually like them, I juggled the idea but after learning how to sharpen skates I decided to stick with regular blades.

PlaywithGutz*

Listen to a set of T-Blades, it's a distinct and annoying sound. Besides that I know a few people who actually like them, I juggled the idea but after learning how to sharpen skates I decided to stick with regular blades.

if you are annoyed by the sound then you are ridding the pine too much or your focus is not in the game......

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Was thinking about getting a new boot,but was wondering if finding a boot I like and replacing the holder with t blades would be hard. I have t blades now,but the boot already had them attached. Anyone try this with any success?

It's possible. Just make sure the size of your t-blades match up with the new boot. A good pro-shop would be able to switch it over for you.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
Another bump :D

I've had t-blades on my skates for about 4 years now (were on my Supra 735's when I bought the skates). Seems like t-blades have pretty much become phased out, although I still see the occasional player who has it.

I'm far from a good player (I was supposed to go play Jr C until I broke my ankle and needed surgery. But I feel like now I'm back to my form, but I'm 20 and in school). So I couldn't really feel the difference between regular blades and the t-blades.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Another bump :D

I've had t-blades on my skates for about 4 years now (were on my Supra 735's when I bought the skates). Seems like t-blades have pretty much become phased out, although I still see the occasional player who has it.

I'm far from a good player (I was supposed to go play Jr C until I broke my ankle and needed surgery. But I feel like now I'm back to my form, but I'm 20 and in school). So I couldn't really feel the difference between regular blades and the t-blades.

If you could play Jr C you are a decent player.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
If you could play Jr C you are a decent player.

Really wish I didn't jump those stairs and break my ankle. A defenceman/forward (played both last my season) at 5'8, I probably wouldn't have made it much further than Jr C. But I'd probably would have been able to get on my uni's varsity team. Oh well.

And I've played against enough Jr B/ECHL guys to know I'm quite frankly not that good :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->