Paul DiPietro - EV Zug
Patrick Fischer - EV Zug
Marcel Jenni - Kloten Flyers
Romano Lemm - Kloten Flyers
Thierry Paterlini - ZSC Lions
Ivo Rüthemann - SC Bern
Adrian Wichser - ZSC Lions

keep a eye on them

2 players can't play for the swiss team: Martin Steinegger and Philie' prospect Kevin Romy. But the biggest loss for Switzerland is Reto Von Arx. He did't play for Switzerland: a row between coach Ralph Krueger and him since the last JO....

Martin Gerber'll play between the pipes.

Last edited:

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Leachmeister2000 said:
Looks like they'll need a big tournament from Gerber if they want to do any sort of damage whatsoever.

No doubt about this. I think Aebischer'll play 1 or 2 games too.

But the objective of this team is the 1/4 final. And the swiss team had been in the 1/4 final for the last 3 seasons.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
Gerber

For me, Gerber is the most overrated player of the team switzerland. Abby is better than Gerbs. But Krueger is for false decision famous. I know Gerber is a great goaltender but not that good as all media paper write. Anyway the problem of team switzerland are the forwards where don't know how to score a goal.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Wasn't forward Andreas Ambuhl chosen to replace injured Flyers prospect Kevin Romy?

Is Ambuhl no longer on the team?

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
katodelder said:
Wasn't forward Andreas Ambuhl chosen to replace injured Flyers prospect Kevin Romy?

Is Ambuhl no longer on the team?

Yes Ambuhl is out of the team. Ambuhl replaced Romy thats right, but we had 26 players on the roster. Now the roster is reduced. And Ambuhl is no longer in the team, but stay in Turino, for reserve.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I think Switzerland will at least make the quarterfinals. I think they'll beat Germany and an opening-day upset over the Finns wouldn't surprise me, despite the significant talent disadvantage. Consider:

1. Most of Finland's players will be arriving in Turino late this afternoon or even tonight, while almost all of Switzerland's team is here and playing warmup games.

2. The goaltending matchup: Martin Gerber vs. Antero Nittymaki.

3. Something is rotten in the state of Suomi. Too many players dropping out with "injuries," too many alternates refusing the call.

Finland may very well overcome all of these things, but if you're looking for a crazy opening-game upset, you couldn't find a better candidate than this.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Foller said:
3 seasons? :dunno:

sorry, i meant the last three world championships.

For the rivalry "Gerber vs Aebischer": it's absolutely clear Gerber must play more games than Aebischer. The Krueger choice is very coherent. All the last games player by Gerber with Switzerland were perfect.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Aki Fan said:
what happened to Patrick Bartschi? bad year, hurt?

Not a bad year... since one or two months. Patrick Baertschi was often injured, it's a problem for him, but he're avoiding injuries for this season. I wasn't far to be call in for this JO. I hope he'll come back later in the season in the swiss squad, perhaps for the Latvia world championship.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Krm500 said:
I don't get it, why no Reto Von Arx?

Von Arx is clearly the best swiss forward. A great twoway player.

But at JO 2002, Jenni and him drunk a lot in a free night during the tournament and both were sacked by Krueger. Jenni apologized for this awful mistake while Von Arx have always relation problem with Ralph Krueger.

He didn't play any more with Switzerland since this incident.

Last edited:

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
Krm500 said:
I don't get it, why no Reto Von Arx?

He is definitively our best Center, but he has some big troubles with our coach. Because our coach will only player where say yes and no player with their own character. So von Arx will never play for team Switzerland until a new coach arrive and that wont arrive before 2010. In our league we have a guy where score 18 goals in only 34 games and is second best behind Fischer with 21 goals in 41 games, but he cant go to the olympics just because he is only 20 years old. For me ist that stupid because the Swiss aren't that strong that we could survive without our best players.

Here are the top ten swiss player in the swiss league:

Fischer P. 21 30 51 EV Zug
V. Arx R. 13 21 42 HC Davos
PLÜSS B. 16 17 33 FR-Gottéron
Burkhalter L. 15 18 33 HC Davos / SCL Tigers
DiPietro P. 8 25 33 EV Zug
Steiner D. 13 19 32 ZSC Lions
MONTANDON G. 8 24 32 FR-Gottéron
SPRUNGER J. 18 13 31 FR-Gottéron
Jenni M. 13 16 29 Kloten Flyers
Jeannin S. 8 20 28 HC Lugano

You see Number 2,3,4,6,7,8 are not in Turino. Unbelievible!!!! Ok the case von Arx is clear he is like I said in clinch with Krüger. Montandon is 40 years old so no candidate for the swiss team, but the little brother of Martin Plüss, Sprunger, and Burkhalter are really good like Steiner too and get no chance by Krüger. I dont know why... Thats the story of our team and you will see our forward where play this tournement cant score and thats no secrets. The better forwars stayed at home and guys like Della Rossa with only 5 goals play at the olympics. :cry:

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
Tritsche said:
PLÜSS B. 16 17 33 FR-Gottéron
Burkhalter L. 15 18 33 HC Davos / SCL Tigers
Steiner D. 13 19 32 ZSC Lions
SPRUNGER J. 18 13 31 FR-Gottéron

Beni Plüss is too small, and never tested in a international championship. His breakout season as a what, 27 year old? too risky.

Burkhalter is too fat, sorry, but he wouldn't get into international pace.

Steiner I'd have taken above Della Rossa.

Julien Sprunger also first needs to develop, he had a concussion lately, and is maybe too young.

I'd have taken Riesen into the squad, not di Pietro. You can call him sissy all night long, he's the only true Swiss sniper with proven international / North American scoring touch.

The only problem for Switzerland is scoring goals. We have world class goaltending, solid defense, but no offense or powerplay. Maybe Streit will help in the PP, but otherwise we'll have the same result as allways: Nice try vs. Finns, Czechs and Canadians, hard battled wins vs. Germany and Italy, then a honourable mention the we lost in the quarters.

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Tritsche said:
For me, Gerber is the most overrated player of the team switzerland. Abby is better than Gerbs. But Krueger is for false decision famous. I know Gerber is a great goaltender but not that good as all media paper write. Anyway the problem of team switzerland are the forwards where don't know how to score a goal.

Hardly. Watch some more NHL. Gerber is WAY better than Aebischer. The Kings have played them both many times. I cringe when I hear Gerber will be in net. I cheer when it's Aebischer.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I was so impressed by Von Arx during the ECC, too bad he won't play.

Well atleast Plüss is on the team so when you're not playing Sweden I'll cheer for you :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
devilman said:
Beni Plüss is too small, and never tested in a international championship. His breakout season as a what, 27 year old? too risky.

Julien Sprunger also first needs to develop, he had a concussion lately, and is maybe too young.

I'd have taken Riesen into the squad, not di Pietro. You can call him sissy all night long, he's the only true Swiss sniper with proven international / North American scoring touch.

The only problem for Switzerland is scoring goals. We have world class goaltending, solid defense, but no offense or powerplay. Maybe Streit will help in the PP, but otherwise we'll have the same result as allways: Nice try vs. Finns, Czechs and Canadians, hard battled wins vs. Germany and Italy, then a honourable mention the we lost in the quarters.

I Agree with everything except for Della Rossa, I like the way he wins battles along the board. Two changes I'd like to see would be Ambühl instead of Paterlini and Steiner instead of Bezina, and go with 13 forwards.

And about Riesen, I think he won't play for Switzerland because of the Von Arx situation. Same for Rizzi, who could be an interesting choice as a defensive forward.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
devilman said:

Plüss is bigger than Rüthemann or Conne, so this is no explanation. Burkhallter ok, he is definitevely fat, so in this case you have maybe right.

Although Steiner, Sprunger, Plüss and Bärtschi for Rüthemann, Di Pietro, Della Rossa and Paterlini and our score problem would be a lot of smaller.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Rüthemann and Conne are both way better than Benny Plüss. And dropping Rüthemann sure isn't the best way to improve scoring.

Anyway, trying to outscore a top 7 team wouldn't be a very smart strategy for Switzerland

Coffee and 7's*

swisdan said:
Ho baby!! It's just... fun!

Great team job vs all these czech stars.

Shots: 42-19, Czechs

Aebischer 40 - 2 Czechs :biglaugh:

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
PRMan said:
Hardly. Watch some more NHL. Gerber is WAY better than Aebischer. The Kings have played them both many times. I cringe when I hear Gerber will be in net. I cheer when it's Aebischer.
Aebi was slumping last November/ December when facing the Kings.
I think he will play better next Avs vs Kings game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->