GDT: Switzerland - Great Britain

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Britain has had a good tournament with some very decent performances. Respect! But unless something weird happens, Switzerland wins this one easily.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's Hofmann - Corvi - Ambühl and Kurashev - Hischier - Herzog and Scherwey - Bertschy - Rod

Geisser gets a break, Müller is back and plays with Diaz. Berra gets the start, Nyffeler backup, so unless nothing special happens Genoni will play Thursday.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Britain has had a good tournament with some very decent performances. Respect! But unless something weird happens, Switzerland wins this one easily.
I've seen this post in almost every GB thread. Only Czech and Russia can claim to have won easily.

Proud of our boys. Delighted for Liam Kirk. What a tournament.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
In 2019. GBR scored nine goals, in 2021. Krik alone scored 7 (so far). Talk about improvement:)

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
The reason is quite simple. Italy beat Austria and GBR beat France two years ago

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'd imagine a lot of work went into the IIHF's World Ranking system.

But something doesn't survive the eye test when higher ranked teams like France and Austria and even improving countries like Slovenia and Hungary are not in the tournament yet Great Britain and Italy are.

And is Korea really the 18th best team?

All of these teams could have won the opportunity to be at this tournament on the ice. They failed against the teams that you say don't deserve to be here.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Not sure how much it is due to the weaker competition but Hischier seems much improved offensively. Hopefully he can carry it over to the quarters and beyond.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
All of these teams could have won the opportunity to be at this tournament on the ice. They failed against the teams that you say don't deserve to be here.

You are correct. My mistake. I didn't realize that was how the field was selected.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I'd imagine a lot of work went into the IIHF's World Ranking system.

But something doesn't survive the eye test when higher ranked teams like France and Austria and even improving countries like Slovenia and Hungary are not in the tournament yet Great Britain and Italy are.

And is Korea really the 18th best team?

Great Britain have shown that they clearly deserve to be at this tournament. And Italy are only playing so diabolically because the team had a Coronavirus outbreak and tons of injuries. That has taken out a massive chunk of what was already a team of pretty modest ability. So yes, they are definitely playing like they don't belong here, but this is not the 'real' Italian team. They will have qualified fair and square under the same rules as everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad