Switching from wood to composite

JeremyCrunch

Jan 5, 2005
Hello, I've been playing hockey for just over 2 years now. I've been using Sherwood 5030 feather lites all year and I love them. My problem is the blades crack and split way too often, I've only once broken a shaft. Will I still have this problem if I switch to a composite?
Also, I was looking at cheap composites to try out and came across the Bauer/Nike Apollos. Does anyone have any input on these sticks? Also, whats the difference between the Apollo Supreme and the Apollo other than color? Also, a P88 curve(Bauer) would be the closest to a Spezza curve(Sherwood), right? Thanks in advance. ---Jeremy

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
The Apollo is just a one50 repainted for HockeyGiant. Cheap composities like that arn't really worth your money...almost as heavy as a woodie. If you do break blades often, try a shaft blade combo so you can swap them out if it breaks and you can ween yourself by using cheap wood blades at first too to get used to the feel. Plus you can get Sherwood blades still to get the same curve you want. Or you can splurge and get some nicer composites which have nice feel like the Mission Pulse or the Mission VDS blade. And the curve...Spezza is an open heel curve? P88 is a plain ol' mid curve...think the closest in Bauer would be a p106.

JeremyCrunch

Jan 5, 2005
Thanks sc37, are you saying its not worth it cause of the weight? The weight isn't a problem for me, it's just my blades crack too much(mostly on the bottom), so I was hoping a composite blade would last longer. Will they? Or do you have any tips that will make the bottom of my blade crack less often? Thanks again.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
no, it's not worth it because it isn't durable and has poor performance, the weight is just another drawback. The one70 would be decent, maybe the endure...

Since you're coming from wood sticks maybe you should get a shaft/blade combo and get wood blades. The blades will wear down but they are cheaper to buy than a wood stick and they'll give you a similar feel to what you're used to.

Berger_4_

Dec 17, 2006
Bawlf Alberta Canada
composite blades aren't as durable as woodies...at least mine isnt. the blade is chipped, cut, scarred, everything. and don't bother buying a comp. if you aren't willing to shell out for at least a mid level stick. don't get the entry level comps. they're awful

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Someone gave me a mission m-1 and I loved it, but chipped the blade in my second game. the blades turn into razor sharp spears when chipped at the toe. Can't use them like that. no way. then a bought a m-2 shaft and have been using wood blades since. I tape the heck out of the blades and smear mink oil on the tape to water proof it. they last real long that way. love the lightness and feel of the shaft. Don't think I'll ever go back to the sherwoods.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Thanks sc37, are you saying its not worth it cause of the weight? The weight isn't a problem for me, it's just my blades crack too much(mostly on the bottom), so I was hoping a composite blade would last longer. Will they? Or do you have any tips that will make the bottom of my blade crack less often? Thanks again.

Like TBL said...performance and the durability can be factors. I dont have issues with durability and my composites, I've only ever broken one and the rest have just worn out. Composites for me though last a tad bit longer...but you can extend the life of anything by using some epoxy.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
My composites lasted a lot longer than woods. The wood sticks I used to use broke within a few games and I was spending so much on wood sticks. I haven't broken any of my composites yet *knock on wood* and it's been like a year since I've started using them. They're chipped up a bit, but that's all.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
wood blades last me half as long as composites, if that. BUT they are cheaper and will be closer to what he's used to. Epoxy over a chip in a blade will greatly extend the life of that blade, stops the chip from getting bigger, and keeps it from basically becoming a shiv.

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
well my friend told me he found a hockey stick for me. I thought it was crappy street hockey stick but it turned out to be a sweet synergy sl. Man that thing is a cannon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad