Switzerland: Swiss young guns

krax

Jul 25, 2007
This probably is the most appropriate place to ask this, so why would player like this would sign for a lover tier team, after such a promising season in NLB? Am I correct that he basically drops into semi-pro level?

It's not really semi-pro, maybe for some, but most 3rd tier players in Switzerland have regular jobs. I could imagine a 22y/o player heading for studies and continuing to play on a competitive level for fun. Weinfelden is not far from St. Gallen, one of the prime business schools in Switzerland.

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
This probably is the most appropriate place to ask this, so why would player like this would sign for a lover tier team, after such a promising season in NLB? Am I correct that he basically drops into semi-pro level?

Hockeyfans.ch reports that he will play for them while trying to find a NLB to sign with. I don't know why he wasn't able to find a team yet because his stats look good.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hmm, and I was quite certain that only NLA and NLB is professional leagues. Thanks for the info.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Voila, it's this time of year again....

I attended to the first day of the under-20 Camp in Lenzerheide...

Before the Camp even started, the Swiss took a major blow to their projected roster with the injury to Christoph Bertschy... It leaves a hughe hole on the center position...

Anyhow, in the 90min drills-session the Swiss worked more or less on their playing system and it looked promising... They were put in three groups with the following line-combination:

White:
--------
D
Phil Baltisberger (Guelph/OHL) - Lukas Frick (Kloten)
Benoit Jecker (Biel) - Claude Paschoud (Davos)

LW-C-RW
Lukas Sieber (Davos) - Marco Müller (Bern) - Julian Schmutz (Bern)
Nico Dünner (Zug) - Lukas Balmelli (Lugano) - Dario Simion (Lugano)

Red:
-----
D
Mirco Müller (Everett/WHL) - Yannick Rathgeb (Plymouth/OHL)
Sämi Kreis (Bern) - Anthony Rouiller (Biel)

LW-C-RW
Fabrice Herzog (Remparts/QMJHL) - Jason Fuchs (Rouyn-Noranda/QMJHL) - Sandro Zangger (ZSC/GCK)
Vincent Praplan (North Bay/OHL)- Flavio Schmutz (Västeras/SWE) - Kevin Fiala (HV71/SWE)

Blue:
------
D
Jonas Siegenthaler (ZSC/GCK) - Riccardo Sartori (Lugano)

LW-C-RW
Lars Frei (Rapperswil) - Luca Hischier (Bern) - Luca Fazzini (Lugano)

So Blue looks more and more like the taxi-squad as, especially the defense is pretty set... 97-born Jonas Siegenthaler is walking directly in the foot-steps of Phil Baltsiberger, but I don't think he will make this team as Phil did as a double-underager... I still don't see, what the Maple Leafs see in Herzog... He seemed lost and not enough drive in his play... Besides size and decent shot, there isn't much in my eyes...

If I had to choose, I'd pick Hischier for the Line with Julian Schmutz and Lukas Sieber, put Marco Müller on the wing with Balmelli and Simion and cut Nico Dünner... Dünner, though, looks solid, but I like the size and skill of Hischier more...

Well on the Goaltender's Position, Melvin Nyffeler took the Starting-Job and is already running away with it... With Sascha Rochow and Daniel Guntern in the wings Melvin probably will see the full load of all games during the tournament...

Looking forward to your comments...

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
To Rafik : thank you for what you post ... highly interesting .... great insight !

No too much discussion on the W. European board regretfully ;-)
But it is highly appreciated by me and certainly most other Swiss readers/(posters).
tks

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
No too much discussion on the W. European board regretfully ;-)

Makes sense, the big topic right now is the Olympic roster, which is discussed on the International tournaments board. Unfortunately there's not much discussion about the NLA season.

Regarding the U20 team, I saw only one game this season (against Germany in Monthey) and the only players I am familiar with are the ones playing regularly in the NLA, so I can't see myself debate with Rafik about that roster. I imagine many posters are in the same case.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Makes sense, the big topic right now is the Olympic roster, which is discussed on the International tournaments board. Unfortunately there's not much discussion about the NLA season.

Regarding the U20 team, I saw only one game this season (against Germany in Monthey) and the only players I am familiar with are the ones playing regularly in the NLA, so I can't see myself debate with Rafik about that roster. I imagine many posters are in the same case.

Frenchs and Brits have more discussion than we do ! :laugh:

to our defense ... they are more than we are.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Kevin Fiala doing pretty well in SHL !!

He started playing in the SHL (highest Swedish league) 2 games ago with HV71... i read interesting comments on him and so i watched his 3rd games and ...

... well he assisted very smartly on the first goal (not a circumstancial assist !) ... and he scored on the 3rd goal !

I was impressed ... only 17 yrs old.

after the JWC ... now this, if he stays on this path, he'll be a frist rounder in the Draft.

http://www.hv71.se/artikel/47392/
article
highlights

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Fiala again ! 4pts.

i watched the game tonight HV71 - Brynas and ... the kid impressed again !

3 assists ... on witch 1 he clearly creates the circumstance and the opportunity.
1 goal where he could be credited of the 2ndary assist because he steals the puck in the mid-zone ... passes it, gets it back and nets it.

worth watching a game !

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Fiala really is impressive, makes his omission from last years U-18WC, even more laughable....you gotta love that roster picking by Celio...

BTW has anybody seen play or heard of Nico Hischier? little Brother of Luca with very promising stats through all junior leagues he has played....

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Fiala really is impressive, makes his omission from last years U-18WC, even more laughable....you gotta love that roster picking by Celio...

BTW has anybody seen play or heard of Nico Hischier? little Brother of Luca with very promising stats through all junior leagues he has played....

To be soo dominant in the Swedish 1st league, for a 17 Yr old swiss junior is simply unreal !

If he keeps playing like this the entire year and beyond ! and it is the real reflection of his real value, assuming he develops normally, we have a "Martin St Louis" player here.

PS : on Cellio, while i loved and highly respected their whole family, he is a drama heading the youngsters. He is not in the spot that values his strengths.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
To be soo dominant in the Swedish 1st league, for a 17 Yr old swiss junior is simply unreal !

If he keeps playing like this the entire year and beyond ! and it is the real reflection of his real value, assuming he develops normally, we have a "Martin St Louis" player here.

PS : on Cellio, while i loved and highly respected their whole family, he is a drama heading the youngsters. He is not in the spot that most values his strengths.

Fiala has landed.

I saw 3 games of HV71, corresponding to the top games Fiala played. I was simply impressed and it sounded unreal.

Now, in the subsequent games ... he is back to human ... not so much of a difference maker anmyore. Much more realistic.

And his playtime was reduced ... . He still is a good one.

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
Down here are the last junior games. Pretty awful. They never win. Even Germany or Danemark are better.
U17,U18,U19, what happens to these age groups? Where is the progress realized in the last years.

It seems that we are not even stagnating but regressing at old times.

Are all these coaches at CELIO level? near zero.

Stützpunkttraining program had good results but is outdated and clearly insufficient. Other countries are not sleeping like SIHF.

What happens with the Academy project Gaydoul was so proud to boast around.

The Slovak with so little licensees are better at these levels than us.
Norway, Danemark catching up or even passing us.

Terrible results:

FINLAND U19-SWITZERLAND U19 7:1
SLOVAK U19-SWITZERLAND U18 3:0
CZECH U19-SWITZERLAND U19 11:2 ?!!
GERMANY U17-SWITZERLAND U17 5:2 ?!!
DANEMARK U17-SWITZERLAND U17 2:0 ?!!
SLOVAK U18-SWITZERLAND U18 5:2 ?!!
GERMANY U19-SWITZERLAND U19 5:4

I would like to know more about these selections if anybody knows more on this forum.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
How many potential draft picks are there for the 2014 draft? In addition to Fiala, who are the front runners and what's the class of 96s looking like for Switzerland?

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site

Jup, saw him a couple of times now... Incredible offensive talent with soft hands lots of creativity and a high Hockey-IQ...

He's still small and light (around 5-7 and 150lbs), but shifty and agile... Not as explosive like Fiala was, but dominant in his own way... Is a player who makes his teammates better... If he gains size like his brother Luca Hischier, we could be the next dominant swiss forward....

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Jup, saw him a couple of times now... Incredible offensive talent with soft hands lots of creativity and a high Hockey-IQ...

He's still small and light (around 5-7 and 150lbs), but shifty and agile... Not as explosive like Fiala was, but dominant in his own way... Is a player who makes his teammates better... If he gains size like his brother Luca Hischier, we could be the next dominant swiss forward....

this season in his age 20 games 97 points.
with the u17 77points in 22 games

that can be qualified as impressive !

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
Down here are the last junior games. Pretty awful. They never win. Even Germany or Danemark are better.
U17,U18,U19, what happens to these age groups? Where is the progress realized in the last years.

It seems that we are not even stagnating but regressing at old times.

Are all these coaches at CELIO level? near zero.

Stützpunkttraining program had good results but is outdated and clearly insufficient. Other countries are not sleeping like SIHF.

What happens with the Academy project Gaydoul was so proud to boast around.

The Slovak with so little licensees are better at these levels than us.
Norway, Danemark catching up or even passing us.

Terrible results:

FINLAND U19-SWITZERLAND U19 7:1
SLOVAK U19-SWITZERLAND U18 3:0
CZECH U19-SWITZERLAND U19 11:2 ?!!
GERMANY U17-SWITZERLAND U17 5:2 ?!!
DANEMARK U17-SWITZERLAND U17 2:0 ?!!
SLOVAK U18-SWITZERLAND U18 5:2 ?!!
GERMANY U19-SWITZERLAND U19 5:4

I would like to know more about these selections if anybody knows more on this forum.

Obviously nobody knows more or nobody cares

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Obviously nobody knows more or nobody cares

:laugh:

Your remark makes me more laugh than the poor results.

I hope that isn't an indicator for the trend !
(by the way i don't think it is ...) but apart my gutsfieeling and perception that more young guys are emigrating and so that the level and the attention is rising, their is nothing more to back that thought.

And generally on the Swiss board we have close to no discussion ... (less than the Brits ! :facepalm: ... nothing against them but they post and post ... while we still have last message by torero 02.02.2014 :laugh:)

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
:laugh:

Your remark makes me more laugh than the poor results.

I hope that isn't an indicator for the trend !
(by the way i don't think it is ...) but apart my gutsfieeling and perception that more young guys are emigrating and so that the level and the attention is rising, their is nothing more to back that thought.

And generally on the Swiss board we have close to no discussion ... (less than the Brits ! :facepalm: ... nothing against them but they post and post ... while we still have last message by torero 02.02.2014 :laugh:)

You guys shouldn't read too much into the results of such kind of games. As long as it's not the WJC, they aren't a solid indicator for the actual state of a hockey country. And even the WJC's results are often misleading. Of course, I'm not exactly happy about the results as well, but whatever.

And regarding the lack of discussion: There isn't too much to discuss, sadly. There aren't exactly many Swiss people on HF, and of those not everyone is posting here. And even less have actual insight into the junior hockey teams and players. And the NLA thread tends to die after 10-15 games.

And you should put the thing with the Brits into perspective. It's an English message board, so we are writing in their native language. It's no surprise that there are more British people on these boards than there are Swiss peole.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

thx a lot Rafik,

let's hope he grabbed size-genes similar to his brother's. (we already have enough hockey-brothers in Switzerland with ridiculous size differences... the Bergers or even worse the Antoinettis) and Swiss hockey really needs more big forwards with talent. I'm a bit concerned about all swiss elite-skilled forwards being smurfs....

You aren't using "pluralis majestatis", are you?

If so.... I've to look up your first threads you've written in here... as a 3 year old ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad