Switzerland: Swiss young guns

doepf

Apr 25, 2014
Zürich
Other U15 players

Fiala really is impressive, makes his omission from last years U-18WC, even more laughable....you gotta love that roster picking by Celio...

BTW has anybody seen play or heard of Nico Hischier? little Brother of Luca with very promising stats through all junior leagues he has played....

Did anybody seen play other boys in Nico Hischiers age group (U15)? Boys like Axel Simic (Gotteron), Ramon Tanner (HCD), Yannick Brunner, Filip Jovanovic or Andreas Döpfner (Kloten Flyers). There are some of them with also very good skills like stikhandling, skating or game IQ.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Kay Schwery and Tim Wieser are doing pretty well in Scherbrooke !!

They are presently leading the team in points here

and the team is leading the LHJMQ here

He is tearing it up. I saw some assists he made and they were supperbe. Regretfully i can't see the games.

Does that come as a surprise or was Schwery allways that good ?

ilyakovy17

Feb 7, 2012
Seoul
Does anyone know Jae Min Cho from SC Bern U17?
I am a hockey fan from Korea and saw Jae Min Cho's page and his number is pretty impressive. In EP, his nationality is both Swiss and South Korea. But he did play for Team Switzerland U17 this season.
I tried to find SC Bern U17 team page so that I can see his profile but I was unable to find it.
If anyone knows about him then please reply.
Thank you.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The young M20 that Fust has on the list for the Switzerland team M20 :

Goal :
Descloux Gauthier (Genève-Servette HC)
Senn Gilles (HC Davos)
Waeber Ludovic (HC Fribourg-Gottéron)

Defense (11):
Baltisberger Phil (Guelph Storm/OHL)
Büsser Xeno (GCK Lions)
Fora Michael (Kamloops Blazers/WHL)
Grossniklaus Tim (CP Berne)
Harlacher Edson (Kloten Flyers)
Jelovac Igor (HC Bienne)
Jung Sven (HC Davos)
Karrer Roger (GCK Lions)
Kindschi Simon (HC Davos)
Rathgeb Yannick (Plymouth Whalers/OHL)
Siegenthaler Jonas (ZSC Lions)

Forwards (17):
Aeschlimann Marc (HC Davos)
Fazzini Luca (HC Lugano)
Fiala Kevin (HV71/SWE)
Fuchs Jason (HC Ambri-Piotta)
Hischier Luca (CP Berne)
Högger Fabio (Kloten Flyers)
Hügli Michael (EV Zoug)
Malgin Denis (ZSC Lions)
Marchon Marc (EV Zoug)
Meier Timo (Halifax Mooseheads/QMJHL)
Rod Noah (Genève-Servette HC)
Romanenghi Matteo (HC Lugano)
Schmidli Kris (Kelowna Rockets/WHL)
Schweri Kay (Sherbrooke Phoenix/QJMHL)
Sitje Fredrik (GCK Lions)
Suter Pius (Guelph Storm/OHL)
Wieser Tim (Sherbrooke Phoenix / QMJHL)

With Fust as head coach ...

If on top of that, if they eat some cats, they should be in good shape ;-)

I am excited by what this team could be. I trust more Fust than Celio ... and their are some amazing players in this pre-selection.

The main fire-power being in the offense.
I highlighted, the ones i felt would be a "force" in this team. My knowledge being more than incomplete ... all comments are highly welcome ...

Can't wait to se this JWC in Canada. (it has always been my hockey event during new-year. (i prefer it to the Spengler cup).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Goalies could be a weak spot.

On D we will miss Mirco Müller who'd also still be eglible to play. I liked Rathgeb last year, especially interested in Karrer and Siegenthaler who could get high picks in the next draft.

Malgin/Fiala/Rod is an excellent first line which doesn't have to hide from anyone.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Goalies could be a weak spot.

On D we will miss Mirco Müller who'd also still be eglible to play. I liked Rathgeb last year, especially interested in Karrer and Siegenthaler who could get high picks in the next draft.

Malgin/Fiala/Rod is an excellent first line which doesn't have to hide from anyone.

That's the "European line".
For the "American line" add Wieser, Schweri and Meier on the second ... !! If Schweri is on ... it's gonna hurt the others.
(both Schweri and Meier are RW ... Wieser is LW hopefully it will match)

Timo meier ... 38pts (28 gaols) in 29 games
Tim Wieser ... 40pts (27 goals) in 28 games
Kay Schweri .. 39 pts (32 assists) in 28 games ... all in QMJHL

1st time we have so much real forward fire power.

Now the coach has to assemble all that. And in this is Fust's task.

Can't wait.

Added comment : Shouldn't Herzog be part of it ?? he is 19.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
That's the "European line".
For the "American line" add Wieser, Schweri and Meier on the second ... !! If Schweri is on ... it's gonna hurt the others.
(both Schweri and Meier are RW ... Wieser is LW hopefully it will match)

Timo meier ... 38pts (28 gaols) in 29 games
Tim Wieser ... 40pts (27 goals) in 28 games
Kay Schweri .. 39 pts (32 assists) in 28 games ... all in QMJHL

1st time we have so much real forward fire power.

Now the coach has to assemble all that. And in this is Fust's task.

Can't wait.

Added comment : Shouldn't Herzog be part of it ?? he is 19.

Herzog is a '94, hence why he can't play, during the tournament he will be 20 years old ;)

As for Schweri/Wieser/Meier. I don't think it'll be a problem as Wieser can play Center, and Meier/Schweri are both lefties, so moving on the left wing shouldn't be a problem for neither of them. You'll see, Schweri and Wieser together are a lot of fun to watch.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Herzog is a '94, hence why he can't play, during the tournament he will be 20 years old ;)

As for Schweri/Wieser/Meier. I don't think it'll be a problem as Wieser can play Center, and Meier/Schweri are both lefties, so moving on the left wing shouldn't be a problem for neither of them. You'll see, Schweri and Wieser together are a lot of fun to watch.

Hope they can translate their game to the international level..

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Extended roster for the u-18 WC

GK:
Chuard Leo
Ritz Matteo
Wüthrich Philip

D:
Christen Luca
Geisser Tobias
Gerber Colin
Gross Nico
Le Coultre Simon
Öjdemark Victor
Stadler Livio
Steinmann Fabian

F:
Abreu de Nobrega Bryan
Berni Fabian
Eggenberger Nando
Heim André
Kurashev Philipp
Lerch Yannick
Loosli Janik
Lust Thomas
Maillard Guillaume
Miranda Marco
Roberts Lee
Rüegsegger Stefan
Simic Axel
Suter Kaj
Volejnicek Dominik

Pikett:
Kruijsen Fabrice

Andersson Axel
Buchli Dominic
Riva Elia

Hischier Nico
Jäger Ken
Oehen Cyril

And David Zeiter from Geneva might get called as well once the Novize POs are finished.

Hischier and Oehen are injured, but Im unaware of their status. Riva is still in duty for Biasca.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there haven't been many nice words from the experts side considering the 98ers... And the results in international competition do back them up, to be honest. And they are expected to be involved into the battle against relegation.

SWE, RUS, USA, LAT are their adverseries.

They beat Austria today in a testmatch 7-0... Well, not the quality they will face later but nevertheless...

Thoughts?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Roster for the final camp in the USA:

Hischier is back (thank god) and Riva also now available. Still 1 D and 1 F to get cut.

Torhüter:
Leo Chuard, Genf-Servette
Matteo Ritz, Lausanne HC
Philip Wüthrich, SC Bern

Verteidiger:
Luca Christen, SCL Tigers
Tobias Geisser, EV Zug
Colin Gerber, SC Bern
Nico Gross, EV Zug
Simon Le Coultre, Lausanne HC
Elia Riva, HC Lugano
Livio Stadler, EV Zug
Fabian Steinmann, SC Bern

Stürmer:
Fabian Berni, ZSC Lions
Nando Eggenberger, HC Davos
André Heim, SC Bern
Nico Hischier, SC Bern
Philipp Kurashev, GCK Lions
Yannick Lerch, SC Bern
Janik Loosli, SC Bern
Thomas Lust, EV Zug
Guillaume Maillard, Genf-Servette
Marco Miranda, ZSC Lions
Lee Roberts, Lausanne HC
Stefan Rüegsegger, SCL Tigers
Axel Simic, Lausanne HC
Kaj Suter, ZSC Lions
Dominik Volejnicek, EV Zug

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Acctually they have to cut 3 Players. (Probably 2F-1D)

so that means no Zeiter and no Oehen either. Oehen's strong physical presence will be missed, his skating issues not so much.
Hischier on the team is crucial.

GK:
Their is depth and talent around on the goalie position, beside the 96ers the best generation of the last decade IMO.

D:
Im surprised, they left off Oejdemark. I thought, he'd be a high on the depthcharts.
Brantschen, after his excellent last year with Zug's U17, had a hard time to adjust and get icetime with Zug's stacked U20 defense. So his omission seems logical. The rise of Gross and the transition of Geisser from C to D have fueld the battle for defensive spots.

Overall this is quite a solid line-up. There isn't a guy as talented (in defending) as Siegenthaler. But the depth is much better than last year. Stadler was already the 2nd best D last year (not counting Karrer after his early exit).

the overrated 97ers only have 3 legit talents: Siegenthaler, Karrer , Pinana. the drop off is rather steep afterwards.

the 98ers got at least 5 legit talents. and e.g. puckhandling skills are significantly better for the depth players.

D isn't the big problem IMO

F:
Well, the problem is, in Juniors the attack weights heavier relatively to GK/D than in Profi hockey.

This year, unfortunately, is indeed a bad year. The 98ers, they miss both elite talent and depth. It's probably the worst generation since the 90ers (Jörg, A.Berger, Ryser, Loichat... and that was pretty much it)

The 99ers looks better, but beside Hischier, only Kurashev, Eggenberger, Simic and Geisser (before his position change) have the potential to contribute something as underagers... and are therefore rightfully on the roster.

Definitely they will have a hard time to ice 4 solid lines.

If we look at the season overall, I think they are a bit on the upswing lately, playing more realistic hockey over the time. They looked so helpless at the Ivan Hlinka Trophy in last autumn, you could barely watch.

I think (and hope;)) they just find their best hockey now. And keep the Latvians behind them, at least some of their roster they should know from swiss junior leagues.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Apropos young guns:

The forward depth seems to be exceptional for the 00s. Bern and Geneva combine almost for a whole team of promising attackers themselves. This years results of the U16 has been much better than the previous 2. let's hope the quality not only quanity is there too. I have only seen a few novize games this year. So I haven't much of a clue yet. But Im eager to see how they develop.

Guys like:
Stephane Patry
Valentin Nussbaumer
Jeremi Gerber
Dylan Pena Triana
Gian- Marco Wetter
Mathieu Vouillamoz
And many more

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
The latest testgame results aren't very encouraging. Especially the losses againts Germany and Slovakia.

Tomorrow they start against Latvia. Could very well decide wether they stay top or get relegated.

I'm really surprised about the omission of Roberts. Beside Hischier he looked most promising among forwards at the Hlinka Trophy. He had a hot start in the swiss U20 league, and significantly slowed down during the season. Does anyone know if he's carrying an injury lately? Or did he have some beef with Paterlini?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
The latest testgame results aren't very encouraging. Especially the losses againts Germany and Slovakia.

Tomorrow they start against Latvia. Could very well decide wether they stay top or get relegated.

I'm really surprised about the omission of Roberts. Beside Hischier he looked most promising among forwards at the Hlinka Trophy. He had a hot start in the swiss U20 league, and significantly slowed down during the season. Does anyone know if he's carrying an injury lately? Or did he have some beef with Paterlini?

The Danish J18 squad is nothing spectacular. Even if you lose to Latvia, you shouldnt have any problems beating Denmark in a best-of-3 series.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Quarterfinal reached, good job by the team and the staff, don't think that more was possible. But it'll be a tough job in the U-20 in the coming years, too.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Quarterfinal reached, good job by the team and the staff, don't think that more was possible. But it'll be a tough job in the U-20 in the coming years, too.

I watched the game ... at the beginning it seamed they had a chance ... but as time past, the boat sank ... and the Canadians, (who were not really brilliant) started scoring.

Very disappointing ... but maybe i have little experience on 17yrs old guys in hockey. But man, lack of energy, many mistakes, and ... no fire. I stopped watching at 10min in the 2nd period. Too frustrating.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
So ... our Swiss young guns lost all games in the Hlinka tournament.

one, the first was a 6-1 ... the 2 others seemed to be closer with each time (as well as the first actually) the had the lead.

Does someone have more hindsight ?
tks

krax

Jul 25, 2007
So ... our Swiss young guns lost all games in the Hlinka tournament.

one, the first was a 6-1 ... the 2 others seemed to be closer with each time (as well as the first actually) the had the lead.

Does someone have more hindsight ?
tks
You can re-watch the games:

http://hlinkamemorial.com/eng/index.asp
Choose "Details" of the desired game and click on "video stream".
I haven't watched the games really carefully. Slow transition game and bad efficiency in front of the net seemed to be the major issues, plus sloppy play in their own zone.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
With Bertschy, Malgin and Fiala 3 young Swiss guns in the opening roster of their NHL-team. Good job, especially from Bertschy and Malgin, did not epxpect that. Vermin also still in the bubble, as is Müller. And I look forward to see Timo Meier in the AHL when he's healthy again.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
With Bertschy, Malgin and Fiala 3 young Swiss guns in the opening roster of their NHL-team. Good job, especially from Bertschy and Malgin, did not epxpect that. Vermin also still in the bubble, as is Müller. And I look forward to see Timo Meier in the AHL when he's healthy again.

Indeed. Im a bit worried about Meiers mono-infection tough. Some athletes need years to recover fully...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->