Switzerland: Swiss young guns

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Training camps have started and ... our U18ERRRRR ou M18 ... U18 sounds like a german uboat and M18 sound like a type of US weapon. Ok ok.

So our -18YearOld Swiss hockey team already started training with a 10-0 vicotry, then something closer and finally a short loss against our beloved german neighbourgs.

our -20YearOld guys also won, yet with less impressive numers, against, again, our beloved neighbourgs.

Does someone have something more to say on these games ? specially on the -18YearOld 10-0 and on the team heading for the Yvan Hlinka tournament ? also what rank could we expect we could expect.

tks

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
I have attended to all under-18 games in Davos and to the last two under-20 games in Arosa...

My report on the under-18:
The team is very skilled, but yet again small... Christoph Bertschy (SCB) was the offensiv leader for the team, while Sandro Zangger (GCK), Nicola Brandi (GCK) and Anthony Rouiller (Biel/Bienne) had good showings... The team lost the 3rd game against Germany 0-1 while Marvin Cüpper was in net for the Germans and once again, like at the under-18 World Championship he stole the game for the germans! Other than that, the Germans seem to have a very weak team....

the under-20:
Again a very skilled team! Tanner Richard, Devin Muller, Sven Andrighetto and Lino Martschini lead the offense. Trutmann and Richard are the aggressiv leaders for the team showed no respect and mercy in several brawls with the germans... Although playing stellar, the team had some kind of baise, where they weren't concentrated and fell behind (in the 2nd game 1-4), but showed character, fought back and won the games... Goaltending seems to be the big question mark for the under-20 team... Saikkonen looked shaky and sometimes lost in his crease, while Wolf is big, but no as talented as Saikkonen and Meili is. Unfotunatly I haven't seen Meili this year and only know him from last year. He's a talented Goalie, but at 5'9 on international level I'm just not sure what to expect?

It's still early in the season and the Germans, for sure will get stronger. Especially the under-20 team of Germany has like 5 north american juniors who will have the bigger effect on the team come the WJC...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's still early in the season and the Germans, for sure will get stronger. Especially the under-20 team of Germany has like 5 north american juniors who will have the bigger effect on the team come the WJC...

Wasn't Germany relegated?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Wasn't Germany relegated?

as a matter of fact ...they will play in the following group :

2012 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division I Group A
with : Norway, Germany, Slovenia, Belarus, Austria, Great Britain

... therefore i am all in favor of them improving :laugh:

tks a lot Rafik

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I have attended to all under-18 games in Davos and to the last two under-20 games in Arosa...

My report on the under-18:
The team is very skilled, but yet again small... Christoph Bertschy (SCB) was the offensiv leader for the team, while Sandro Zangger (GCK), Nicola Brandi (GCK) and Anthony Rouiller (Biel/Bienne) had good showings... The team lost the 3rd game against Germany 0-1 while Marvin Cüpper was in net for the Germans and once again, like at the under-18 World Championship he stole the game for the germans! Other than that, the Germans seem to have a very weak team....

the under-20:
Again a very skilled team! Tanner Richard, Devin Muller, Sven Andrighetto and Lino Martschini lead the offense. Trutmann and Richard are the aggressiv leaders for the team showed no respect and mercy in several brawls with the germans... Although playing stellar, the team had some kind of baise, where they weren't concentrated and fell behind (in the 2nd game 1-4), but showed character, fought back and won the games... Goaltending seems to be the big question mark for the under-20 team... Saikkonen looked shaky and sometimes lost in his crease, while Wolf is big, but no as talented as Saikkonen and Meili is. Unfotunatly I haven't seen Meili this year and only know him from last year. He's a talented Goalie, but at 5'9 on international level I'm just not sure what to expect?

Hey, rafik, thx for the updates.

How did Muller look after his NA-year? playing as W or C?

Did you notice Schneuwly? who had his second good showing statistically, after the last camp.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Hey, rafik, thx for the updates.

How did Muller look after his NA-year? playing as W or C?

Did you notice Schneuwly? who had his second good showing statistically, after the last camp.

Offensively, Devin Muller (who played on the Wing) together with Tanner Richard were the most dangerous forwards on the Swiss team. Both strong puck handling and creativity in the offensive zone. Devin made hughe strides in his north america year and has developed into a cornerstone for the u20...
When I remember that Celio cut Devin Muller a couple of years ago for the u18 WJC because of missing mental readyness, I can't think him away now from this team..

And yes, Schneuwly played a decent 2nd and 3rd game. I could see him get some more taste of NL A Hockey with Zug this season....

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Offensively, Devin Muller (who played on the Wing) together with Tanner Richard were the most dangerous forwards on the Swiss team. Both strong puck handling and creativity in the offensive zone. Devin made hughe strides in his north america year and has developed into a cornerstone for the u20...
When I remember that Celio cut Devin Muller a couple of years ago for the u18 WJC because of missing mental readyness, I can't think him away now from this team..

And yes, Schneuwly played a decent 2nd and 3rd game. I could see him get some more taste of NL A Hockey with Zug this season....

thx.

Yeah, I remember the Celio-decision 2 years ago. Talentwise he was already there a top-5 forward of the 92 borns.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
So, I attended to the final practice of the under-18 in Kloten (I was the only spectator together with Marco Bayer and I think Lukas Balmelli's Father... :sarcasm:) and I'm realy curious what that team can reach...

The lines during the practice drills probably will be the ones they'll play at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial and looked like this:

The "Berner"-Line (white):
Julian Schmutz - Christoph Bertschy - Marco Müller

The "Zürcher"-Line (white):
Nicola Brandi - Ramon Diem - Sandro Zangger

The "Ticino"-Line (red):
Dario Simion - Lukas Balmelli - Lukas Sieber

The 4th-Line (red):
Flavio Schmutz - Florian Niedermayer - Vincent Praplan

Defense:
Anthony Rouiller - Sämi Kreis (white)
Alessandro Lanzarotti - Cyrill Paschoud (red)
Phil Baltisberger - Mirco Müller (white - both born 95 and underager)
Benoit Jecker - (Thomas Studer)

So Alfred Bohren formed "regional" lines and keept teammates mostly together... Thomas Studer played defense during the drills, but will serve during the tournament as the 13th forward....

Robin Kuonen will be the starter for the team and Melvin Nyffeler will serve as the backup... Both are very small, but competitiv. I still don't understand why the SIHA only choose that small goaltenders and they don't see the trend international going with big sized goalies... Actually, there would've been one in with Zug. His Name is Florian Kratzer and he's like 6'3 or even bigger, but for some reason he wasn't even at the Camp in Davos...

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Thanks Rafik, keep on! It's always fun to read your reviews.

Otherwise, the U20 squad has just won two games vs Germany and Tchech Republic at Strakonice. They allowed only 12 shoots vs the germans. El Nino was not from this trip, i assume he's preparing himshelf for the NYI training camp.

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Yes, El Nino currently is running from one development camp to the next one... There's just no time for him to attend to the Junior Camps!

I think he just was around two weeks in Switzerland and than had to pack his stuff to go to a skating camp in Portland (or something like that)...

There is a chance, that Nino won't be availalble for the WJC... Hell, there could be even a slight chance El Nino and Sven Bärtschi won't be available!! This would be a major blow to our offense, which is potent but who would left out two player from the caliber for Niederreiter and Bärtschi!?

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Possible Nino'll miss the next WM but i don't think so for Bärtschi.

Speaking of Niederreiter and Bärtschi.... Do you think Richard could the frontrunner to be the swiss high profil for the draft 2012. It seems he has all the tools to perform well next year in the CHL.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Thanks Rafik, keep on! It's always fun to read your reviews.

Otherwise, the U20 squad has just won two games vs Germany and Tchech Republic at Strakonice. They allowed only 12 shoots vs the germans. El Nino was not from this trip, i assume he's preparing himshelf for the NYI training camp.

with all prospects on board, this could possibly be the most talented Attack Switzerland ever had to offer at the U-20 stage. (even better than the 84/85 or the 79/80 born combos).

I'm really looking forward to December.

and when we compare the forward depth of the Islanders with the Flames , and the good critics Bärtschi got from the first development camp, it's not out of question, that Bärtschi will be in the NHL and Nino not...

Rafik Soliman

Feb 27, 2002
Lausanne/Zurich, SWI
Visit site
Possible Nino'll miss the next WM but i don't think so for Bärtschi.

Speaking of Niederreiter and Bärtschi.... Do you think Richard could the frontrunner to be the swiss high profil for the draft 2012. It seems he has all the tools to perform well next year in the CHL.

Tanner needs a great OHL rookie season in the mold of Bärtschi's to get better recognition and get drafted (Of course a strong WJC will help too)... I can see him having success with his speed, puckhandling and his feisty play, but I see him having disciplinary issues, since he's sometimes furious and wreckles (against the u20 Germans he held a stick of a german player, who was involved in a brawl on the ice, from the bench) and stuff like that could hurt his status....

He should not have any problems adjusting to north america, since his Parental Canadienship and he's english speaking. Then again he has been a star in the Rappi-Organisation since his Moskito-Days when I saw him the first time and he also plays like that. His biggest adjustment probably will be to subordinate to a new team and new rules...

But yes, I could see him with a great season in the OHL (which I think is the stronger league than the WHL - but that is a strong theme :help:) be the first swiss getting chosen...

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hey guys, reading what you write ... is very interesting.

I (am absolutely ignorant about the youngs that are coming) am surprised that we start having on a reliable basis good players to be drafted !!

I thought Nino was a one off, then here comes Bartschi ... and ... wow ! some others in the pipeline ?

great news !
tks Rafik !

Black Hawk 1926

Feb 15, 2010
Zürich
Hey fellow Swiss hockey fans!

Great read here really! Thanks for the reports Rafik.
There are some inreresting players coming our way. I like the fact that the sons of former Canadian NLA greats like Richards or Muller are now playing for the Swiss junior teams (still waiting for Antisin to join in in a few years... :yo:)

I think in the meantime the conception of Swiss hockey has really improved and the young guns are now also taken a bit more seriously in terms of drafting etc - of course also because many are now taking the step and go to NA at a young age...

Let's hope Nino and Bartsch will be there for the U20 tournament. Could become a good one - and not just because of those two.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
swiss prospects talk

I see there is no yet an active thread about swiss young players. But on the hockey future website this should be a central topic!
I open this thread because I think could be useful exchange infos about the most interesting youngs playing in the nl or in the juniors leagues (swiss or not). I'm only a passive observer of a little part of the hockey world. You maybe are 'involved subjects' knowing closely important parts of the swiss 'movement'. I need your help.

Nla just started:

The most interesting news i thing are coming from the south where Dario Simion, who is only 17, was probably (on two games) the best offensive skater in his team. Very interesting prospect 6'2"/ 187 lbs.

I saw that J. Vermin scored already 3 points. Also Schäppi ( 6'4''/205 lbs), one of the best swiss at last wjc, had a good start with solid performances.

Readable was Stucki in Ambrì.
D. Schlumpf already sent to Basel was traded to bern.

Additions??

Last edited:

Belenos

Dec 31, 2010
Biel, Switzerland
Haas (Biel) played some good preseason games, was the best player of his line. (Still the 4th line)

Rouiller, probably our biggest talent in Biel, is getting back from injury, but will play with the elite-juniors first.

croAVSfan*

Simion currently has 3pts in 3 games with Lugano. Very good for 1994. born kid. What do Swiss fans think of him. Any chance for him to be drafted ?

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Indeed so many points are a surprise.

But he was indicated as one of best new prospect. And he is one of few who has traveled the rare and uncommon Journey from Ambrì's juniors teams to his current organization: this means for sure he is a very very interesting player. Was premature all along his career and he is again. Very smart player in the game with considerable size. Keep watching.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Simion currently has 3pts in 3 games with Lugano. Very good for 1994. born kid. What do Swiss fans think of him. Any chance for him to be drafted ?

He looked pretty good so far. He was one of the four highest rated Swiss prospect on the scouts' preseason list, along with Anthony Rouiller, Julian Schmutz and Christoph Bertschy. Given the NHL scouts' focus on size, I wouldn't be surprised if Simion ends up higher than those three at the end of the season.

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Genoni and Berra were impressive in the first period of Davos-Bienne game.

Inti Pestoni, who had 4 points in 4 g and ever is the best F in his team, was hit very hardly on the head from blind spot (of course non punished). He did not return on ice in the second: likely concussion. For sure his little size seems to be an important weakness against "acts of terror".
Daniele Grassi (18) had a great match yesterday and played the last 2 minuts against Servette (Geneva with empty net)

Vermin (Bern, 19) had now 5 points in 5 game. He's playing very well with his linesmates.
I don't know much about Frodieveaux: news?

Mattia Mei

Dec 1, 2010
www.contropiede.net
Greg Hofmann's back from Carolina: Maybe on ice in the we.

Ambrì signed now C. Stucki for 2 years: 1992, little but fast and always very dangerous, in Lna since season start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->