Swiss goalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Mephisto said:
Any reason why Gerber is ahead of Aebischer for the swiss team? More experienced or are they giving a shot at Gerber before Aebi takes over in a few years?

Thx.

Because the coach is out of his mind. Gerber is the Tommy Salo of Switzerland! somebody make it stop please :biglaugh:

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Mephisto said:
Any reason why Gerber is ahead of Aebischer for the swiss team? More experienced or are they giving a shot at Gerber before Aebi takes over in a few years?

Thx.
Gerber has a better history with our national team than Aebischer. This is why Krueger trusts him more. Plus he's played a lot more this season while Aebischer struggled at getting enough games under his belt to keep his form.

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
Mephisto said:

Thx.

Well, he had a better season (Aebischer was often the backup this season, sad but true), played more for the Swiss in the past and showed a solid perfomance last year and up to now. No need for a change IMO.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
wassup77 said:
Because the coach is out of his mind. Gerber is the Tommy Salo of Switzerland! somebody make it stop please :biglaugh:
What exactly is the reason for your Gerber hatred? Seems like you visit Switzerland threads for the sole reason to bash him... :shakehead

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Strizzi said:
What exactly is the reason for your Gerber hatred? Seems like you visit Switzerland threads for the sole reason to bash him... :shakehead
Perhaps he is a Faerjestad fan or a fan of a team that got kicked out by them. But actually it looks like he was making fun, he used the smily.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Mephisto said:

Thx.

Because Aebischer is an ordinary goalie when he doesn't have Colorado's defense clearing the crease. Gerber is way more secure.

And regarding Aebischer's ice time this past season, apart from the first 11 games of the season, when he got only two starts because his teammate was the hottest goalie in the league, he started 14 out of 31 games, more than any backup goalie in the swiss league can dream about.

Here's his game by game stats :
http://www.hockeyfans.ch/cgi-bin/spielerinfo.pl?art=stat&caller=fans&spielerID=david_aebischer

Beside, since the 1997 season, he started more than half the games only twice in his career. As a matter of fact, he had more ice time this season than he ever had while he was backing up Patrick Roy.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The Olympic prelims in 2002 , the Swiss started with Aebischer but he did not steal the show. Gerber came in in game 3 and played great but it was too late by then. Gerber used that as a springboard to an NHL career and has been excellent, even showing up Giguere in Anaheim. I see no reason why Gerber would not be the #1. Aebischer is not Swiss cheese either but Gerber is often better.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
The Olympic prelims in 2002 , the Swiss started with Aebischer but he did not steal the show. Gerber came in in game 3 and played great but it was too late by then. Gerber used that as a springboard to an NHL career and has been excellent, even showing up Giguere in Anaheim. I see no reason why Gerber would not be the #1. Aebischer is not Swiss cheese either but Gerber is often better.
Plus there is the style argument that stv11 already made: while Aebischer is probably the better shot-stopper, he gives up more rebounds than Gerber, which hurts considering that our defenders are not good at clearing the crease. Gerber's style fits our team better.

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
For me is Abby better than Gerber, but I always have some troubles with our coach Kruger.I don't know why von Arx and Riesen are still not in the team aswell.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Tritsche said:
For me is Abby better than Gerber, but I always have some troubles with our coach Kruger.I don't know why von Arx and Riesen are still not in the team aswell.

Results clearly speak in Krüger's favour. Before 1998, Switzerland could stay in the top pool only twice (in 91 and 92). Since, they have 7 consecutives top ten finnish. Riesen and Von Arx played themselve out of the team and have only themselve to blame.

Last edited:

Tritsche

Apr 12, 2005
Lenzburg
stv11 said:
Results clearly speak in Krüger's favour. Before 1998, Switzerland could stay in the top pool only twice (in 91 and 92). Since, they have 7 consecutives top ten finnish. Riesen and Von Arx played themselve out of the team and have only themselve to blame.

I know that, but for me he give too much the same player the chance to play. Seger, Della Rossa, Paterlini shouldn't go always to the games. But year the stats give him the credit... :clap:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Tritsche said:
I know that, but for me he give too much the same player the chance to play. Seger, Della Rossa, Paterlini shouldn't go always to the games. But year the stats give him the credit... :clap:
Paterlini is questionnable considering his poor season, but Seger and Della Rossa were lock to make the team. Ziegler, Forster and Bezina were the other questionnable choice, but the results are there.

Color@do @v@l@nche said:
russia vs switzerland 3-3

how aebi played?
Better than I expected, considering he didn't allow many dangerous rebounds. He did a fine job, but didn't steal the game, the defense deserves most of the credit for limiting the number of quality shots.

tsunami

Feb 28, 2002
Bienne - Switzerland
Visit site
devilman said:
because Riesen suckx and von Arx is a cry baby, never willing to forget an old story...

Seems to me it is the coach who doesn't want to have Von Arx on the team, which actually is a shame because he is one of the better Swiss player, if not the best

About Riesen, can you tell me which Swiss player scored more goals during the regular season this year ??? How about GWG ???

joepaco

Aug 10, 2003
Visit site
HOP Schwyz!!!!! ( I hope I spelled that the correct way)

btw any fussball fans ????? tight race between Thun and FCB

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
tsunami said:
Seems to me it is the coach who doesn't want to have Von Arx on the team, which actually is a shame because he is one of the better Swiss player, if not the best

About Riesen, can you tell me which Swiss player scored more goals during the regular season this year ??? How about GWG ???

Von Arx is the only one to blame for what happens to him. Jenni also made a mistake in 2002, but he admitted it and is now back on the team. Von Arx could easily do the same, but choosed not to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad