Swedish World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Predatore said:
woha, Zetterberg made the poster ahead of Näslund :eek: ;)

Z is a great choice, I think. He's a young good player and probably the one who will take over as the Big Leader after Sundin & J. Jönsson retires. I'll even bet on it that he'll wear the C for Tre Kronor some time in the future, and possibly even in Detroit too if he stays there long enough.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
The swedish coach Hardy Nilsson explained to the swedish media why he left out Michel Nylander and Kenny Jönsson:

Hardy Nilsson felt that Michael Nylander would do a good job for Sweden if he played as an offensive center in the first two lines, but there wasn´t any room for him on the top lines since we have better options in Sundin and Forsberg. Jönsson is supposed to play a more allround/defensive role, besides he is among the best penaltykillers on this team.

Hardy had no intention of playing Kenny in the top 6-pairings and believed that it would better to have a young guy like Christian Bäckman instead as a reserve, even if Kenny is better.

-

But I am surprised that he left out Jonas Höglund, in fact only Dany Heatley scored more goals than the swedish scoring leader Höglund in the recent World Championships.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
re: Höglund,
I think the main reason is that Höglund is basically only a player that delivers on the PP. Nothing wrong about that, he is very valuable. But now with so many new players there will not be room for him on the PP - thus no need to have him on the roster (IMO of course).

Sundin, Näslund, Forsberg, Lidström, Tärnström, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Modin, K.Johnsson and if needed players like Holmström and Nilson doing the dirty job in front of net. Höglund has a wicked shot, but still not as good release as Näslund and Modin for example.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
kickice said:
who starts in goal for Sweden? Salo I guess is the obvious choice? But any chance it won't be?

seeing as Tellqvist outplayed Salo in last year's world championships, my guess is that Tellqvist will be the starter. However, it could very well not be decided until after the exhibition games before the tournament. The one that looks the best then, will likely get to start.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Predatore said:
re: Höglund,
I think the main reason is that Höglund is basically only a player that delivers on the PP. Nothing wrong about that, he is very valuable. But now with so many new players there will not be room for him on the PP - thus no need to have him on the roster (IMO of course).

Sundin, Näslund, Forsberg, Lidström, Tärnström, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Modin, K.Johnsson and if needed players like Holmström and Nilson doing the dirty job in front of net. Höglund has a wicked shot, but still not as good release as Näslund and Modin for example.
Yes, most likely the same reason why Nyllet wasn´t selected.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Predatore said:
Nylander,
Jönsson,
Has a history of performing poorly with the national team, some rumours as well.. that he isn't on speaking terms with Sundin.

I thought it was the Forsbergs (father and son) who Kenny didn't get along with.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
Don't underestimate Swedish goalies in international tournaments.

See Mikael Tellqvist, 2003 WC's and Henrik Lundqvist, 2004 WC's.

Any goalie can have his day. I'm not saying Sweden's goaltenders won't do a good job for them, but on paper I would be a little worried. This is also a more elite competition than the World Championships since the rosters will have virtually 100% participation from the NHL's best, so the competition has been ratcheted up a bit.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm personally liking Sweden's chances here. They took 8 of the 9 best defensemen available

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
go kim johnsson said:
I'm personally liking Sweden's chances here. They took 8 of the 9 best defensemen available

They have as good a chance as any, which can be said for several teams in this tournament. Hot goaltending and timely scoring rules the day.

disles1

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
KJ should be on the team. He is better than Tarnstrom and a very steady dman--very good in his own end of the ice.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
hockeyGod said:
just a question, who is the most respected hockey player in Sweden. Forsberg, Sundin, Lidstrom or Nasland.

I believe Forsberg is seen as the best player. Sundin is a close 2:nd. Lidstrom and Naslund probably share the 3'rd spot.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
mach777 said:
I believe Forsberg is seen as the best player. Sundin is a close 2:nd. Lidstrom and Naslund probably share the 3'rd spot.

He said respected not best player.. I believe that's Sundin

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
yup, definitely Sundin IMO as well. Sundin is probably a top 3-5 player in the world when it comes to international play. Always does a great job with the national team and scores an insane amount of game-winners, at least that has been the case in the past. That has earned him a lot of fans and respect here in Sweden.

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Henrik Zetterberg - Peter Forsberg - Markus Naslund
Fredrik Modin - Mats Sundin - Daniel Alfredsson
Jorgen Jonsson - Henrik Sedin - Daniel Sedin
PJ Axelsson - Samuel Pahlsson - Tomas Holmstrom

Nicklas Lidstrom - Mattias Ohlund
Kim Johnsson - Mattias Norstrom
Dick Tarnstrom - Marcus Ragnarsson

Tommy Salo
Mikael Tellqvist
Henrik Lundqvist

There forward group is amazing. Forsberg, Naslund, Sundin, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Modin, The Sedin's, ETC. Very deep. A decent defense core. Not very deep. Lidstrom and Ohlund could be a dangerous top pair. There goaltending is obviously there weakest area, its a tossup as to who is going to be there goalie in this tournament. My guess - each goalie will get ATLEAST 1 game.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Any goalie can have his day. I'm not saying Sweden's goaltenders won't do a good job for them, but on paper I would be a little worried. This is also a more elite competition than the World Championships since the rosters will have virtually 100% participation from the NHL's best, so the competition has been ratcheted up a bit.
Sweden gets great goaltending in international tournaments.

I think it's a good bet that their goaltending is going to be solid. They don't produce as many NHL calibre goaltenders as they would like (I'm sure), but they always have someone that can step in for the Tre Kronor and perform beyond expectations.

Tommy Salo:

2002 World Championships: 7 games, 1.96 GAA, .919%
2002 Olympics: 3 games, 2.35 GAA, .924%
2001 World Championships: 8 games, 1.94 GAA, ,920%
2000 World Championships: 6 games, 1.67 GAA
1999 World Championships: 8 games, 1.84 GAA, .921%
1998 World Championships: 9 games, 0.77 GAA
1998 Olympics: 4 games, 2.27 GAA

Mikael Tellqvist:

2003 World Championships: 7 games, 1.37 GAA, .940%

Henrik Lundqvist:

2004 World Championships: 8 games, 1.64 GAA, .925%
2002 World Junior Championships: 7 games, 2.15 GAA, .906%
2001 World Junior Championships: 7 games, 1.86 GAA, .928%

None of them are at the level of Brodeur, Belfour, or Luongo... but I know that management's probably not that concerned about goaltending. Especially with the emergence of Lundqvist and Tellqvist over the last year.

SChan*

A very very good team. Only weak area is goaltending. We'll make the final and lose again. But making the final is not so bad :)

Forwards upfront are world class.

Edit. Agree with Lefaholix. Our Goaltending do better in inetrnational tournaments than the NHL. Excited about Lundqvist.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Sweden's 1-4 D is as good as anyone's IMO

Lidstrom
Ohlund
Johnsson
Norstrom

Impressive top4. :bow:

Sweden>Canada

I dont how that comes close to Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer and Foote/Jovo/Redden. I break it down like this: Nieds, Pronger, Blake and Lidstrom are all Elite #1's (norris calibre defenceman), Foote/Jovo/Redden and Ohlund are all strong #1's, while Johnsson and Norstrom are both good #2's. Am I wrong here?

leafaholix*

devildan said:
I dont how that comes close to Pronger, Blake, Niedermayer and Foote/Jovo/Redden. I break it down like this: Nieds, Pronger, Blake and Lidstrom are all Elite #1's (norris calibre defenceman), Foote/Jovo/Redden and Ohlund are all strong #1's, while Johnsson and Norstrom are both good #2's. Am I wrong here?
No, I think you're right.

Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger are as good as Lidstrom... then you have one of the two Canadians (Nieds/Prongs) up against Ohlund... which is obvious. Then there's Blake, Foote, and Jovanovski vs. Johnsson and Norstrom.

It's really unfair.

(... and I'm routing for Sweden to go all the way... if Canada doesn't.)

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Cograts to P. J Axelsson on making the team again. Very disappointed that Nylander(a great 2nd LIner in the NHL) never made it over players such as Jörgen Jönsson,Samuel Påhlsson,Marcus Nilson and Andreas Johansson

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Leafaholix said:

Tommy Salo:

2003 World Championships: 7 games, 4.15 GAA, .861 %
2002 World Championships: 7 games, 1.96 GAA, .921 %
2002 Olympics: 3 games, 2.35 GAA, .924 %
2001 World Championships: 8 games, 1.94 GAA, .920 %
2000 World Championships: 6 games, 1.67 GAA, .922 %
1999 World Championships: 8 games, 1.84 GAA, .921 %
1998 World Championships: 9 games, 0.78 GAA
1998 Olympics: 4 games, 2.27 GAA
1997 World Championships: 10 games, 2.00 GAA
1996 World Cup: 2 games, 1.50 GAA
1994 World Championships: 3 games, 3.33 GAA
1994 Olympics: 6 games, 2.11 GAA
Tommy Salo has been great for Team Sweden, except for that unfortunate game in the Olympics and his last WC-tournament (where he was somewhat injured actually). 12 international tournaments with Team Sweden - he certainly got a lot of experience and he isn´t too old and washed up either. Many people say he is, I don´t.

I´m not at all worried about our goaltending, I´m sure Tommy is eager to prove everybody wrong and Tellqvist is a great goalie as well, a bit green perhaps but he hasn´t been a total disaster with Toronto. Far from it.

I added your list a bit, hope you don´t mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->