Swedish Prospect Update Thread

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I think the lack of realy good goalscorers is a problem too. Good centers without any top goalscoring wingers wont help. The talent is way to unevenly spread.

We have, Rakell, Forsberg, Karlsson, Zibanejad, plus we have Holtz and Pettersson in the pipeline . We have good goalscores and young ones.

There is however a lack of elite young center talents. Some have a failed and some have become wingers. But not all is dark, we have had a big breakthrough for W Karlsson this season comming almost from nowhere, Zibanejad i am intresting in what he can do when he play a full season without injuries. Pettersson is a very intresting player comming in, if he now will become a center in NHL. W Karlsson also shows you never now, maybe Lindholm, Wennberg or someone else become a star at older age after all. Maybe Jarnkork or someone goes to seattle and have a similar breakthrough as Karlsson had, maybe Toronto trade Kadri and Nylander become a elite center. But yeah it could be alot better. Right now our best C is Backstrom and W Karlsson after that is a black hole, and Backstrom have had his worse season in many years, maybe just a off year or maybe he will start to decline fast.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Any info on Nils Lundkvist? Small, slight 17YO RHD with SHL experience also one of the youngest in the draft....
He's been rising up the ranks. It seems as though a lot of scouts have yet to fully buy into him but I think he'll be a 1st rounder when the dust settles. I have him at 21 right now.

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
Any info on Nils Lundkvist? Small, slight 17YO RHD with SHL experience also one of the youngest in the draft....

I've seen pretty much all of his SHL games this season. I was very surprised at the level he showed, he sorta came out of nowhere (to me atleast). Good puck skills and plays very well on the blue line. Agile, good skater. Not scared to take some risks which has been his only downside in my opinion, but also an upside. Should be a first rounder. I see some rankings having him at late second to third, maybe even fourth. That would be a steal from what he's been showing this far imo.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
But to say that Lidström was a nobody in comparison is far from the truth, anybody who's into hockey will definitely view Lidström's accomplishments in just as high of a regard, if not higher. And I don't think that it's a coincident that guys like Karlsson and Hedman were around 10 years old and probably started to take hockey more serious just around when Lidström started to hit the hight of his career.

What he states is the perception in Sweden, not actual performance. Forsberg had an early streak -92; -94; -96 for the*3 Gold club, earning him a reputation. Beside that his offensive skills made him making his mark on Sweden. Forsberg is the greatest Swedish hockey player from Sweden if you ask in Sweden, like 85% of the population will say so (just pulling out the numbers here from my dark-side, but Lidström is nowhere as popular as Forsberg).

Reactions: Franck and GC

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
What he states is the perception in Sweden, not actual performance. Forsberg had an early streak -92; -94; -96 for the*3 Gold club, earning him a reputation. Beside that his offensive skills made him making his mark on Sweden. Forsberg is the greatest Swedish hockey player from Sweden if you ask in Sweden, like 85% of the population will say so (just pulling out the numbers here from my dark-side, but Lidström is nowhere as popular as Forsberg).

Yeah i got that and i agree, when I first mentioned the lidström effect in my first post it was just speculative and I didn't put too much thought into it, it's just a word thrown around (carelessly perhaps). But my point in the post you qouated was that people who're abit more into hockey, so to speak, might not put Forsberg and lidström in different tiers of great and some might perhaps put Lidström a tier higher. The reason I wrote that was because many young hockey players at the time of Lidström's peak were probably very much into hockey, and many of those big name swedish defensemen were just around the age where they probably started taking hockey more serious when Lidström was a big name.

But again, it's hardly the only reason, it might only have played a very very small role. It's just really strange seeing so many great defensemen coming out of Sweden while there's an obvious lack of great forwards, hopefully the that will change soon!

Reactions: LiveeviL

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Can someone tell me some more about Lunderstrom?

Not really sure if he is a long term center or wing. He seems like he will be mid 1st round as well? Don’t know a lot about him though.

So I posted this in March on the Flyers specific 2018 Draft prospect board. I haven't seen him in a while, so it may have changed a bit. I've seen 4 full games of his in SHL and most of his WJC games, plus the highlight packages on youtube. I'm not a scout so I could be off a bit.

If I had to describe his game with one word it would be smooth. He makes a lot of subtle, smart hockey plays...quick chips, small shimmies, good stick placement etc; his hockey IQ is certainly a strength. Skating is quite fluid, to a point where he looks like he's putting in minimal effort. I think that helps him get past defenders as easily as I've seen him do - I think they perceive him coming in slower than he is. He also can lower his shoulder and use his leverage quite well -- particularly going from left to right, he's strong off his left foot -- and he's difficult to knock off his skates. He's got silky, very quick hands particularly in tight. He does a good job of changing the angle of his shots prior to release, too. He doesn't play a 'power' game, but I think if he got physically stronger, with his hands and skating ability, I think he could be molded into that role. Most of his goals, at least that I've seen, are scored from within the dots and around the net. He's got good vision as well, and will hold the puck to find a teammate. On one occasion, I've seen him hold it too long, and the puck was stripped from him. I personally don't think that his play-making ability is his the strongest part of his game, but every draft profile of Isac says it is, so take my personal assessment with a grain of salt.

Considering his skill set, he's not very consistent, and during the games I saw, a few shifts looked like he's overmatched. To his credit, he responded well to it on following shifts. I've read reports that he's got a strong shot, but from what I've seen, it's an area for improvement. As most young players, he needs to get stronger, as well. I do not consider his skills as 'elite', but they are very good.

My best guess would be a ceiling of a middle 6 center who can provide secondary scoring, play on your 2PP and be a good PK'er. Although he's not a 'project' pick, he's got some work to do prior to getting to the NHL.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Don't know if he was still a prospect, but SHL player David Selberg took his own life at 23 years old.
Rest in peace.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Are we completely useless in the 2019 draft? Dont want to get to far behind the Finns (love u Finland, but loosing against you is like a dagger to the heart).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are we completely useless in the 2019 draft? Dont want to get to far behind the Finns (love u Finland, but loosing against you is like a dagger to the heart).

I don't think so.

I see the chance for eight picks in the first two rounds between Soderstrom, Holmstrom, Pasic, Broberg, Bjornfot, Soderblom, Hoglander and Lundmark.

Alnefelt could also be one of the first goalies off the board. There might not be any obvious star prospect here, but there's a chance for a number of quality NHL'ers.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I don't think so.

I see the chance for eight picks in the first two rounds between Soderstrom, Holmstrom, Pasic, Broberg, Bjornfot, Soderblom, Hoglander and Lundmark.

Alnefelt could also be one of the first goalies off the board. There might not be any obvious star prospect here, but there's a chance for a number of quality NHL'ers.

I am hoping for some dark horses among them. We got the depth but not top skill(apart from defence). I miss Peter Forsberg and Sundin...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Here are some stats, updated following games on March 14...

SHL
PlayerNHL rightsGPGAPts
Emil BemströmColumbus47231235
Jesper BoqvistNew Jersey51132235
Marcus DavidssonBuffalo52101727
Dominik Bokk (GER)St. Louis4781523
Jonathan DavidssonOttawa37101121
Filip HållanderPittsburgh4571421
Lucas ElvenesVegas4231720
Albin ErikssonDallas449716
Jesper Sellgren (D)Carolina5231215
Johan SödergranLos Angeles428513
Olle LycksellPhiladelphia515712
David GustafssonWinnipeg3621012
Nils Lundkvist (D)NY Rangers413710
Pontus HolmbergToronto473710
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerNHL rightsGPTOIGAGAASV%SO
Victor BrattströmDetroit231131:05542.86.8960
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Allsvenskan
PlayerNHL rightsGPGAPts
Filip SveningssonCalgary43151227
Jacob PetersonDallas49141327
Oskar BäckDallas4541620
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PlayerNHL rightsGPTOIGAGAASV%SO
Samuel ErssonPhiladelphia362158:47701.95.9335
Arvid HolmWinnipeg321840:05792.58.9071
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Johan Södergran (LAK) had a goal yesterday for Linköping. 5G + 2A (7Pts) in 14 games playing on the 3rd line. :nod:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Do we need more topthree prospects to secure future success? Seems like Finland has a top three prospect every year. What are Sweden doing wrong, or Finland doing right?. I Know we got Dahlin this year , but it was 30 years ago last time that happened. Should we be worried about Swedish players development (besides D) or is all good? Or am i putting to much wort in being a top three placed prospect?

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
Do we need more topthree prospects to secure future success? Seems like Finland has a top three prospect every year. What are Sweden doing wrong, or Finland doing right?. I Know we got Dahlin this year , but it was 30 years ago last time that happened. Should we be worried about Swedish players development (besides D) or is all good? Or am i putting to much wort in being a top three placed prospect?

No time to worry. We’re still stacking up big time on D and in the 2020 draft we could possibly have three forwards in the top 10 (Raymond, Gunler, Holtz). We will always have more depth than Finland, regardless.

Finland are doing incredibly well right now with their development. I just think it’s the early exposure to senior/pro hockey in combination with the usual work ethic and individual talent (which is the same here in Sweden)

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
No time to worry. We’re still stacking up big time on D and in the 2020 draft we could possibly have three forwards in the top 10 (Raymond, Gunler, Holtz). We will always have more depth than Finland, regardless.

Finland are doing incredibly well right now with their development. I just think it’s the early exposure to senior/pro hockey in combination with the usual work ethic and individual talent (which is the same here in Sweden)

Thinking about it Finland always had snipers we never got near. Before Selänne, now Laine. It would be fun to have a sniper that is realy good. I dont count W. Karlssons one hit wonder. One of Holtz Gunler and Raymond could be the answer. He is a little bit to small but i hope Zion Nybeck will be good to. We are so stacked on D so we could have half a team with just defenders playing forwards.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Brannstrom looking good in the AHL. 5th in Defenseman scoring (counting ties, he has the third highest point total)

20 points in 22 games.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I am hoping for some dark horses among them. We got the depth but not top skill(apart from defence). I miss Peter Forsberg and Sundin...

Hedman is high-end imo. As for top end prospects, Holtz and Raymond are coming soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->