Swedish fans @ Sthlm

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I just wanted to share with you guys how it can look at some games since we obviously got different cultures when it comes to being a fan of a european/ NA team.

I was at the game, was in the curve or whatever you call it. The home team won 4-0 and we stayed for around 10 minutes after the game singing different songs.

As you can see the players liked it. They did the traditional thank you celebration to the fans and then they came out 2 more times and thanked us, the fans.

And at the end they did a kind of funny celebration as you can see for yourself.

The team in question is Djurgården. A swedish team, located in Stockholm, currently in Allsvenskan (2nd tier league). They've won the most championships ever in swedish elite hockey and has produced players as: Landeskog, Wennberg, Hornqvist,Kronwall, Sundin just to mention a few.

It was basically sold out, 7700 fans. We have a smaller population and the arena doesn't take more so yeah, obviously less people than in a NHL game but still impressive IMHO.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
According to Aftonbladet (biggest Swedish news paper) out of 7700, 2000 of them was in klacken (the curve/short side).

I thought this was pretty interesting especially with all the back and forth discussions when it comes to NA styled fan culture vs EU styled fan culture.

The clip is from after the game, don't have any clips from mid game when we're singing.

However a lot of Djurgården fans and fans from other teams has commented and said that we we're loud and amazing and was told to keep it up!

Some of the players were interviewed in the intermission and they were thanking us and said that all the chants and singing pushes them and motivates them even more.

I just wanted you NA fans to see how it can be like at games and give you guys a look into the swedish hockey culture (although, IMO we have the best "klack" in Sweden so we make more noice than other fanbases).

Thought it was a decent thread and it also shows that the players appreciate it.

Not trying to spark a feud were Euros and north american fans trash talk each others ways.

So I hope you guys enjoy the clip and comment in this thread.

What did you think about the singing? What did you think about the players reaction? Was this annoying or was it pretty cool too watch?

Anyways, enjoy discussing it here.

Have a good one, peace!

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013

Also pretty amazing. Shows how the attendence reacts to different calls and stuff.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
According to Aftonbladet (biggest Swedish news paper) out of 7700, 2000 of them was in klacken (the curve/short side).

I thought this was pretty interesting especially with all the back and forth discussions when it comes to NA styled fan culture vs EU styled fan culture.

The clip is from after the game, don't have any clips from mid game when we're singing.

However a lot of Djurgården fans and fans from other teams has commented and said that we we're loud and amazing and was told to keep it up!

Some of the players were interviewed in the intermission and they were thanking us and said that all the chants and singing pushes them and motivates them even more.

I just wanted you NA fans to see how it can be like at games and give you guys a look into the swedish hockey culture (although, IMO we have the best "klack" in Sweden so we make more noice than other fanbases).

Thought it was a decent thread and it also shows that the players appreciate it.

Not trying to spark a feud were Euros and north american fans trash talk each others ways.

So I hope you guys enjoy the clip and comment in this thread.

What did you think about the singing? What did you think about the players reaction? Was this annoying or was it pretty cool too watch?

Anyways, enjoy discussing it here.

Have a good one, peace!

Thanks for a peek into another country's hockey culture! I've only recently been introduced to the 'Klack' and think it's a great idea. I'm from Montreal -- no slouch in the insane fan department -- but I'd love to experience the European atmosphere you grew up with.

BluPuk*

Did they play a hockey game first, or just drink and sing?? Hahahahaha.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
http://www.difhockey.se/artikel/3078/

20 min long clip from last night, you see all kinds of different chants and much more.

You can spot me @ the 3 minute marker. Actually you can spot me a lot of times I noticed :laugh:

Dark redish cap, glasses, dark blue sweater. Standing next to a girl in a djurgården football (soccer jersey). Which is blue with dark blue stripes and then on her right (viewers left) there's a kind of big guy, shaved head. We're at the centre of the pic @ 3 minute marker and then a little bit here and there.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Did they play a hockey game first, or just drink and sing?? Hahahahaha.

The game started at 4 PM so there wasn't a lot of drunk people exactly... we went to En Arena (a hangout bar for djurgårdare)and got some beers after the game.

Believe it or not we can show emotions and be focused at the game simultaneously, i know it's unbelievable, right!
this is just so ignorant

Sigh... This, so much this

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for a peek into another country's hockey culture! I've only recently been introduced to the 'Klack' and think it's a great idea. I'm from Montreal -- no slouch in the insane fan department -- but I'd love to experience the European atmosphere you grew up with.

Yeah no problem! I've uploaded another link if you scroll down. It's from the teams official website. It shows much, much more than the one in the first post. I hope it's viewable for people outside of europe though...

Yeah you guys are pretty good with that too! :)

Bring me a some food from kfc or hooters and I'll take you to a game. Or get them to open up a hooters in sweden and I'll buy you season tickets!!! Haha ;)

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

i added it here for easier usage

the european hockey culture is outstanding and much nicer than the north american out of what i've seen.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013

i added it here for easier usage

the european hockey culture is outstanding and much nicer than the north american out of what i've seen.

Thanks for linking it so everyone can see it! Where are u from btw lol?

I prefer it as well but some don't like it. So it is what it is.

Nice to have 2 different cultures IMO. You get the best from 2 worlds.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
The European fan culture might not be for everyone and I can definetly see why someone wouldn't like, and I dont blame them at all, but I personally think it's really cool. The players seem to genuinely appreciate it, this is the true meaning of "home advantage".

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
The game started at 4 PM so there wasn't a lot of drunk people exactly... we went to En Arena (a hangout bar for djurgårdare)and got some beers after the game.

Believe it or not we can show emotions and be focused at the game simultaneously, i know it's unbelievable, right!

Sigh... This, so much this

He's a leafs fan, of course he doesn't like it when there's so few people wearing suits. :laugh:

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
While quite a bit behind the Swedish supporter culture, there's a few good groups in Finland as well. Here's Jokerit away:

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Swedish hockey supporter culture is heavily influenced by English football. At least in Stockholm.

Stockholm is unique from other cities. Nowhere else can you find what you can see in these video clips.

When you think about hockey culture in Stockholm - think of English football culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad