Sweden's D in the next best on best tourney

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Let´s say its the World Cup in 2020. What will Sweden's D look like?

My suggestion:

Hedman - Karlsson
Dahlin - Klingberg
OEL - Lindholm/Strålman/Hjalmarsson/Ekholm

And what if Adam Boqvist breaks out as projected, maybe too young still?

Reactions: ulvvf

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes Boqvist will be too young. Maybe even Dahlin will not be ready just yet.

Hedman - Lindholm
Ekholm - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg

No idea why you have Hedman with Karlsson, they are both offensive and should have someone more with a defense style playing with them.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Hedman - Lindholm
Ekholm - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg

No idea why you have Hedman with Karlsson, they are both offensive and should have someone more with a defense style playing with them.

I'm not sure if Ekholm or Hedman can play the right side, but Lindholm is much better on the left.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

Hedman - Lindholm
Ekholm - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg

It depends on what other players are available, if those would be only 2 elite d-men, then yes I would agree with you that you should not play them togeheter and instead spread out the firepower to get the most out of them. But if you can haver 6 elite offensive d-men, then why not?

Plus i think they could work good togeheter, they actually did play togeheter in wjc 20 back in the days and did that well. Hedman has more strength while Karlsson has more puck-skills.

Plus I want our best players to get the most ice-time. It feels weird if Ekholm and Lindholm get the same amount of ice-time as Karlsson and Hedman and more than Klingberg?

I think Dahlin will have surpass players like Lindholm and Ekholm by 2020, Lindholm has not really developed alot since he enter the league. Pretty disappointed at his devolopment, but he still a really good player.

Today I would have

Hedman - Karlsson (about 25min)
OEL - Klingberg (about 20min)
Ekholm - Lindholm (about 15min)

Hedman - Karlsson (23min)
Dahlin - Klingberg (22min)
OEL - Ekholm/Lindholm (about 15min)

Then there are jokers like, R Andersson, Klefbom, Liljegren, A Larsson etc.

I agree it is probably little to early for players like Boqvist, espically consider he is a small player.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Lindholm is top-2 defensive defenceman in the world, might even be the best today.

Plug him with Karlsson and watch the magic.

Lindholm-Karlsson

Hedman-Ekholm

Dahlin-Klingberg

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Dahlin-Klingberg isn't good enough defensively I think.

They are both underrated defensively, only because they are skilled offensively.

If put on the third pairing, keeping them away from the hardest matchups, they will feast on the opposing 3 & 4th lines.

Reactions: WhatWhat

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It depends on what other players are available, if those would be only 2 elite d-men, then yes I would agree with you that you should not play them togeheter and instead spread out the firepower to get the most out of them. But if you can haver 6 elite offensive d-men, then why not?

Plus i think they could work good togeheter, they actually did play togeheter in wjc 20 back in the days and did that well. Hedman has more strength while Karlsson has more puck-skills.

Plus I want our best players to get the most ice-time. It feels weird if Ekholm and Lindholm get the same amount of ice-time as Karlsson and Hedman and more than Klingberg?

I think Dahlin will have surpass players like Lindholm and Ekholm by 2020, Lindholm has not really developed alot since he enter the league. Pretty disappointed at his devolopment, but he still a really good player.

Today I would have

Hedman - Karlsson (about 25min)
OEL - Klingberg (about 20min)
Ekholm - Lindholm (about 15min)

Hedman - Karlsson (23min)
Dahlin - Klingberg (22min)
OEL - Ekholm/Lindholm (about 15min)

Then there are jokers like, R Andersson, Klefbom, Liljegren, A Larsson etc.

I agree it is probably little to early for players like Boqvist, espically consider he is a small player.

What?

Lindholm hasn't really developed since entering the league?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
What?

Lindholm hasn't really developed since entering the league?
hes probably thinking of offence, cause defensively lindholm'ss elite

prorated lindhloms seasons are

hes always averaging about a minute and half to 2 mins of pp per game which is very little, that should go up and so will his production, closer to 40 points me thinks.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Considering Hedman didn't get to play in the 2014 Olympics I wouldn't be surprised if young players like Dahlin wouldnt make it.

Also I absolutely don't think Boqvist would because he's not NHL ready yet and D-men take long to develop and Sweden's defense is just too strong for most 21-22 year olds to make

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Lindholm is top-2 defensive defenceman in the world, might even be the best today.

Plug him with Karlsson and watch the magic.

Lindholm-Karlsson

Hedman-Ekholm

Dahlin-Klingberg

Not having OEL there is a joke, are you literally going by team accomplishments considering you have a sheltered Ekholm from a top team in there?

OEL is doing amazing even this year considering he had a parent die + he plays for one of the worst teams in the league

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Not having OEL there is a joke, are you literally going by team accomplishments considering you have a sheltered Ekholm from a top team in there?

OEL is doing amazing even this year considering he had a parent die + he plays for one of the worst teams in the league

OEL has not been a top-10/15 defenceman since 2015.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Guys born around 2010 might very well be ready for the national team when the next best-on-best tournament takes place. Hjalmarsson and Strålman might be way too old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad