Sweden will be dangerous now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kluivert4Ever

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I am a Swede but this is not some biased thread because I dont even root for Sweden, (I root for Henke but if he was not there Sweden would probably be 6th on my list).

But since I am a Swede I have noticed an interesting trend in past championships, Sweden when they impress early often go out early, when they get beaten badly and recieve the underdog status they are extremely dangerous. Hench the loss to Russia was the best thing that could happen to them IMO. I got this feeling that Sweden will go all the way in this Olympics, I hope I am wrong though. ;)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
For the same reason, I fear the Czechs now. As bad as they play now, they will be a true force to reckon with. If we follow this trend, the Russians will be eliminated early, with a fluke game in the quarter finals. They seem to have taken the role Sweden usually takes.

Sweden - Czech Republic in the final? We just have to see how horribly much Canada can suck in the group rounds first. If they don't suck enough, they won't win. Slovakia and Finland have played too good, they won't win. USA might get far, they have played pretty awful. ;)

Czech Republic, Sweden, USA.

Coffee and 7's*

Sweden won't even make the playoffs after losing to Latvia tomorrow!!
I believe Canada = gold, Slovakia = Silver, Russia = Bronz, Finland = 4, USA & SUI 5/6

Chechs won't make it either :eek:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Na na na my swedish friends !!! The first russian game was a fluke ! Watch out for Malkin in the gold medal game :teach: :D

shawn_kemp*

This whole thread is pure bias from the 1st to the last post (except mine of course!).

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
CSKA said:
Na na na my swedish friends !!! The first russian game was a fluke ! Watch out for Malkin in the gold medal game :teach: :D
Losing 3-5 isn't a fluke. If you would have lost 0-5 or 1-6, it would have been a fluke. 3-5 is a loss. Slovakia is "one of those teams."

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I believe that Sweden has gotten a big head the past championships because of playing very well and collectively together in the past tournaments of importance (98, 02, 04) during the round robins - only to thereafter fail miserabely when real games that actualy mean squat sh** start (three consecutive losses in quarter finals).
This having been said - only time will tell - if they are so bad now that they cannot even be good during the "pre-tournament play" or if something else is on the horizon (could BÃ…G really be this sneaky - he actually insinuatated that they this time around and a medal may be in store. Now that Forsberg is due to play (if he holds up throughout the tournament) they may improve considerabely. I still believe choosing JJ and Hannula instead of Nylander & Marcus Nilsson is the stupidest decision any GM has ever made - and so far my thoughts are basically confirmed. But - as I said - only time will tell.
And I am not Swedish...

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Our game should be really easy and simple now. Always have 3 guys to secure at home, don't give away the puck like we did to the Russians, play safe and don't take risky chances.

We must do our goals on PP, since we apparently have no speed. Forsberg in his right corner controls the puck (just like in Philly), Lidström on right blueline, Alfredsson with his cannon on left blue. Holmström in front of goal, perhaps Sundin on left, ready to smash in. The key is motion. Give Forsberg the chance to shine with a nice opening pass.

Kluivert4Ever

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
One thing that is also being a bit overlooked when considering the defensive problems that the Swedes displayed versus Russia, is the suspension of Lilja, they could have used him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->