Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I can't stand Grönborg. I hated his selections in j20 aswell. Seems to have a thing for boring teams (and thus hockey)

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I can't stand Grönborg. I hated his selections in j20 aswell. Seems to have a thing for boring teams (and thus hockey)
I like how youre acting like we have a bunch of awesome players in Europe that could replace the ones that are chosen, but the reality is that we dont have that much quality players to chose from on this side of the pond. Maybe Elias Pettersson should be going as well, but the coaches werent that impressed of his overall game.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I like how youre acting like we have a bunch of awesome players in Europe that could replace the ones that are chosen, but the reality is that we dont have that much quality players to chose from on this side of the pond. Maybe Elias Pettersson should be going as well, but the coaches werent that impressed of his overall game.
Lets see how does omark, anton lander or dick axelsson have a spot over pettersson

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

He didn't have much to chose from this time yes, I'll give him that. But it's a trend I've seen that goes back to the j20 days I don't like. Always with too many of the conservative, safe picks. Not saying a team full of Nylander type of players would be ideal, but a few more of those exciting players who might do the unexpected than big strong defenders and reliable forwards without the puck.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
He didn't have much to chose from this time yes, I'll give him that. But it's a trend I've seen that goes back to the j20 days I don't like. Always with too many of the conservative, safe picks. Not saying a team full of Nylander type of players would be ideal, but a few more of those exciting players who might do the unexpected than big strong defenders and reliable forwards without the puck.
Well, do you have any examples of players he shouldve picked for this tournament? Except Elias.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Well, do you have any examples of players he shouldve picked for this tournament? Except Elias.

Well, like I said, you were right with the fact that he didn't have too many to chose from this tournament. However two clear examples of players I would have liked are Elias and Olofsson. But Grönborg has over the years to me proven to be a bad and boring coach which goes back to his days with J18 and J20. Why he landed the job as coach for Tre Kronor I have no idea, terrible decision imo.

Reactions: DDRhockey

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Would have liked to see someone like Lawrence Pilut on the team, probably the best puck moving D in the SHL. A speedy player like Edwin Hedberg would have fit in nicely on this team as well.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Agreed on the Pilut part. And I'm personally not a fan of Fredrik Pettersson at all. All he does is shoot from all type of angles. It's too much for my liking, playing with a brick in his head

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
thanks for the input.

this year is shaping up to be a real crap shoot. i know little to nothing of the majority of the players on every team.

i'm generally not very concerned with the cheating russians as they are not that strong at playing as a team and usually have very selfish individual minded players.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
thanks for the input.

this year is shaping up to be a real crap shoot. i know little to nothing of the majority of the players on every team.

i'm generally not very concerned with the cheating russians as they are not that strong at playing as a team and usually have very selfish individual minded players
........ok.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Well, like I said, you were right with the fact that he didn't have too many to chose from this tournament. However two clear examples of players I would have liked are Elias and Olofsson. But Grönborg has over the years to me proven to be a bad and boring coach which goes back to his days with J18 and J20. Why he landed the job as coach for Tre Kronor I have no idea, terrible decision imo.
By working with the juniors he made connections with the players he coached, and hes one of the biggest resasons why he had so many NHL players on Tre Kronor last year and why we’ll have that this WCH as well. Watched Olofsson live the other week. Maybe he had a bad game but I didnt even notice him. I rather have the Möllers, Lindströms and Axelssons than him actually. I do think that EP couldve gone along as a 13th fwd, though.

I dont quite recall his selections when he was the junior coach.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
There are however a bunch of players that are just as okay as the ones selected. All mentioned in the thread.

Forwards:
Linus Klasen,Johan Ryno, Anton Rödin, André Pettersson, Victor Olofsson,Johan Sundström, Patrick Cehlin, Richard Gynge

Defensemen:
Jonas Junland, Magnus Nygren, Daniel Rahimi, David Rundblad, Eric Martinsson, Lawrence Pilut, Henric Tömmernes, Marcus Högström

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
There are however a bunch of players that are just as okay as the ones selected. All mentioned in the thread.

Forwards:
Linus Klasen,Johan Ryno, Anton Rödin, André Pettersson, Victor Olofsson,Johan Sundström, Patrick Cehlin, Richard Gynge

Defensemen:
Jonas Junland, Magnus Nygren, Daniel Rahimi, David Rundblad, Eric Martinsson, Lawrence Pilut, Henric Tömmernes, Marcus Högström
Err, no thank you.

I agree that maybe Pilut could be picked ahead of a guy like Fransson, but a lot of the names you lists are pretty one dimensional. Klasen/Omark? I chose Omark. Ryno/Axelsson - Axelsson....and so on.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If Hellberg and Enroth are both on the roster, Sweden might have the best goaltending tandem. Stalberg could be a man among boys on the ice.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Err, no thank you.

I agree that maybe Pilut could be picked ahead of a guy like Fransson, but a lot of the names you lists are pretty one dimensional. Klasen/Omark? I chose Omark. Ryno/Axelsson - Axelsson....and so on.

Exactly, they are just as okay as anyone else (I avoid using the word good to describe these players.). Some players has an edge towards another, but they are all pretty much, meh..

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Only having players who are playing in Europe made that obvious a long time ago.

This. I don't get people who complain about old news. With an Olympic gold at stake, the tournament immediately becomes miles more interesting than the EHT.

At first I didn't think I would watch this tournament at all. But at the end of the day, I'd rather watch decent hockey players working hard towards winning their only shot at an olympic gold, than star players floating around in the 55th-60th game of the NHL's regular season.

In the grand scheme of things, these are still good hockey players. The quality should defenitely be above the SHL and we should see some fun games.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Only watched the 3rd period but they missed maybe 3 clean breakaways. Ice looked terrible, couldn't even see the face off dots. Looks like Dahlin's role in these Olympics will be very minor, barely played but looked good when he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->