Sweden....getting a medal this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

someguy44 said:
Nope, he's got a hip flexor. I don't know why he wouldn't just sit out for a few games and rest up. He's not exactly helping the team, then again, he's not hurting us either. He's barely over a point a game this season, but I haven't seen him take his deadly wrist shot in a while and that's probably due to the hip flexor. That's why he's been stuck at 22 goals for a while. Even Anson Carter is catching up to him in the goal department (thanks to the Sedins).

so basicly he should have sat like 10 games ago.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I expect Sweden to play their hearts out and go at it 120% this year.

Sweden has the most to lose out of all of the teams this year. This is realistically their last chance at Gold for the next decade. I like Sweden but with the passing of the core, they'll be a much weaker team. Here are guys who will retire or be too old to be very effective by 2010.

Naslund
Sundin
Forsberg
Lidstrom
Alfredsson
Modin
Norstrom
Jonsson
Nylander

The only quality players they have coming up are Zetterberg, Sedin, Sedin, Lundqvist and Kronvall. Combine those with Ohlund, Johnson and the other guys, that isn't a very strong team.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
They are due

Right now if I had to pick the favorites for medals, I'd say Canada gold, Czech Republic silver and Sweden bronze. They finally have a goaltender and they have scored goals in Toronto and Austria with worse skaters than they will send to Turin. The Swedes are going to have the best top line at the competition assuming Forsberg is healthy and playing with Alfredsson and Naslund, interesting to see if they play maybe play the Sedin brothers with Sundin on a line and/or the second power play unit. Given the age of some stars (Foppa, Sundin, Lidstrom etc), you gotta figure these guys will all show up if possible and play hard, they could gun for gold but realistically I say bronze unless they get exceptional clutch play and exceptional goaltending, which are possibilities looking at the roster.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Hopefully the sedins are given some legitimate ice time. For those that haven't had a chance to watch them this year, they could be the biggest surprise of the tournament. They have really come into their own.

Ultimately though, I think that Swden's medal hopes hinge on Lundqvist. He'll have to play out of his mind for the team to go anywhere.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Jovanovski = Norris said:
The only quality players they have coming up are Zetterberg, Sedin, Sedin, Lundqvist and Kronvall. Combine those with Ohlund, Johnson and the other guys, that isn't a very strong team.

Finland played the World Cup Final with a team that on paper doesn't look like much. Swedish teams generally thrive of being the underdogs. Bäckman, Johnsson, Tallinder, Kronwall and Öhlund is a decent enough D-core for the next Olympics and I don't think there is much of a crisis on the forward side either. Bäckström, Bergfors, Carl Söderberg, Loui Eriksson and Robert Nilsson could all develop into good NHL-forwards by 2010.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
FoppaArGud said:
Right now if I had to pick the favorites for medals, I'd say Canada gold, Czech Republic silver and Sweden bronze. They finally have a goaltender and they have scored goals in Toronto and Austria with worse skaters than they will send to Turin. The Swedes are going to have the best top line at the competition assuming Forsberg is healthy and playing with Alfredsson and Naslund, interesting to see if they play maybe play the Sedin brothers with Sundin on a line and/or the second power play unit. Given the age of some stars (Foppa, Sundin, Lidstrom etc), you gotta figure these guys will all show up if possible and play hard, they could gun for gold but realistically I say bronze unless they get exceptional clutch play and exceptional goaltending, which are possibilities looking at the roster.

Alfredsson will play with Sundin on the first line, with Naslund and Forsberg on the second line - at least that's what I heard. It will be interesting to see where D. Sedin, Zetterberg, and Modin end up. Can any of the 3 play on the right? Seems as if there's a bit of a logjam down the left for Sweden.

Zetterberg - Sundin - Alfredsson
Naslund - Forsberg - D. Sedin

would be the ideal, and most likely the strongest top 6 in the tournament. Usually Modin and Sundin play together though.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
That is a pretty good way to distribute it, Sundin with the Sedin brothers is all pass-first players. I'd like to Zetterberg on a line with Forsberg and Naslund. I think Modin would best fill out the Sundin-Alfredsson line and then keep the Sedin brothers together on a line with one of the ES league players (whoever is a goal scorer, dont know much about those two).U

SChan*

The problem is that the swedish coach has made some bonehead decisions. For example, he is skipping Holmstrom and Nylander in favor of two mediocre SEL players Jönsson and Hannula.

I have no answer why really...

shawn_kemp*

I expected Sweden to win the gold medal last time around. That team was playing so well until "that" quarterfinal.

Now I really don't know what to expect from this team.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
FoppaArGud said:
The Swedes are going to have the best top line at the competition assuming Forsberg is healthy and playing with Alfredsson and Naslund,

I dunno about that... There's plenty of other countries that could put together some good looking top lines, Russia could have quite an explosive top line if they wanted, and Thornton and Nash and whoever else they put on that line certainly would warrant consideration considering what Thornton and Nash were able to do last year.

Wetcoaster

octopi said:
What exactly is his injury? Anyone know?
A groin injury has been rumoured (seems to be the injury du jour in the NHL) but several credible reports say it is a hip flexor which makes more sense since he is still playing. Naslund has played in every game this season.

I would not be surprised to see Naslund withdraw from the Olympics to rest.

Even with the injury he is 15th in league scoring and tied for 13th in goals.

SChan*

Wetcoaster said:
A groin injury has been rumoured (seems to be the injury du jour in the NHL) but several credible reports say it is a hip flexor which makes more sense since he is still playing. Naslund has played in every game this season.

I would not be surprised to see Naslund withdraw from the Olympics to rest.

Even with the injury he is 15th in league scoring and tied for 13th in goals.

It would be a fatal blow for sweden if naslund also withdrew. I hope not.

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
First three lines are predicted to be:

Modin - Sundin - Alfredsson (Has worked well before)
Näslund - Forsberg - Zetterberg (I don't like this line)
Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson (Best Swedish line in the Worlds)

I don't like the idea of Forsberg and Näslund on the same line, I would rather see Näslund play with Sundin. The reason for that is that Forsberg feels more dependent on a great scorer and Näslund has never proven himself to be in the national team. I am afraid that it will end up with Forsberg trying to get Näslund going, just like in the World Cup. It's better to put Sundin there instead who usually is a great force and goal scorer in the national team. Forsberg has also proven that he love to play with a right handed shooter (Weinhandl, Knuble, Hejduk etc) and Alfredsson would be a perfect fit.

Anyway, we have a great team if everybody is healty and play at their best and FINALLY we have superb goaltending.

SChan*

larsmark said:

I don't like the idea of Forsberg and Näslund on the same line, I would rather see Näslund play with Sundin. The reason for that is that Forsberg feels more dependent on a great scorer and Näslund has never proven himself to be in the national team. I am afraid that it will end up with Forsberg trying to get Näslund going, just like in the World Cup. It's better to put Sundin there instead who usually is a great force and goal scorer in the national team. Forsberg has also proven that he love to play with a right handed shooter (Weinhandl, Knuble, Hejduk etc) and Alfredsson would be a perfect fit.

Anyway, we have a great team if everybody is healty and play at their best and FINALLY we have superb goaltending.

but our 4th line sucks :/

I would play the 4th line in the group play then go with 3 lines only in elimination games.

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
SectionX said:
but our 4th line sucks :/

I would play the 4th line in the group play then go with 3 lines only in elimination games.
Offensivly they aren't good but as long as they play +- 0 in the games I am pleased, which I belive they can do. We just need them to take a few shifts here and there so we can rest the other lines. So don't worry about that line.

Will be fun to see the twins cuz they are having a superb year.

SChan*

larsmark said:
Offensivly they aren't good but as long as they play +- 0 in the games I am pleased, which I belive they can do. We just need them to take a few shifts here and there so we can rest the other lines. So don't worry about that line.

Will be fun to see the twins cuz they are having a superb year.

yeah but canada's 4th line is very good. Imagine Hannula+Jönsson going against Canada's 4th. I would be worried everytime that happend.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
larsmark said:

I agree. The Näslund - Forsberg - Zetterberg line makes me cringe just looking at the names. Just imagine if Holmström had been part of this team. We could have had:
Zetterberg - Sundin - Holmström
Näslund - Forsberg - Modin
Sedin - Sedin - Alfredsson
(right wingers could easily be shifted around for best chemistry)

With of course Nilson - Påhlsson - Axelsson as the fourth line but hey.. I'm sure we can do just fine with Jönsson and Hannula.. :sarcasm:

SChan*

Riddarn said:
I agree. The Näslund - Forsberg - Zetterberg line makes me cringe just looking at the names. Just imagine if Holmström had been part of this team. We could have had:
Zetterberg - Sundin - Holmström
Näslund - Forsberg - Modin
Sedin - Sedin - Alfredsson
(right wingers could easily be shifted around for best chemistry)

With of course Nilson - Påhlsson - Axelsson as the fourth line but hey.. I'm sure we can do just fine with Jönsson and Hannula.. :sarcasm:

damn I forgot!

Nilson, Axelsson and Påhlsson are also on this team right? Then Jönsson and Hannula might not see any playing time!

Then again I am sure BÅG will screw it up så Jönsson is even playing on the 3rd line.

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
SectionX said:
damn I forgot!

Nilson, Axelsson and Påhlsson are also on this team right? Then Jönsson and Hannula might not see any playing time!

Then again I am sure BÅG will screw it up så Jönsson is even playing on the 3rd line.
Nilsson isn't on the team but Påhlsson and PJ who are two excellent forwards in the defence and Jönsson is usually very good in the national team aswell. So I don't worry too much about the defencive on that line. Hannula should be sitting in the stands.

SChan*

Riddarn said:
No, Nilson is not on the team, I believe.

dammit! BÃ…G missed another good player :shakehead

So one of Påhlsson, Jönsson and Hannula sits. I believe it will be Hannula.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
SectionX said:
It would be a fatal blow for sweden if naslund also withdrew. I hope not.

Why? He has been about as effective in tre kronor as Tomi Kallio for Finland in international tournaments.

I'd even ask "was he even there" in the last few super tournaments but I know that he played...he was just invisible. So that should not be a biggie for you guys, you still have great talent in the lineup.

SChan*

psycho_dad said:
Why? He has been about as effective in tre kronor as Tomi Kallio for Finland in international tournaments.

I'd even ask "was he even there" in the last few super tournaments but I know that he played...he was just invisible. So that should not be a biggie for you guys, you still have great talent in the lineup.

I'd say that if Naslund finds his game in our national team he could very deadly. In the past interviews he has said that he wants to show he can play great in sweden. I rather have him than a backup player.

with several great NHL seasons behind him, You know Nazzy's real potential.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
Thornton-Nash-Iginla is dangerous but

missinthejets said:
I dunno about that... There's plenty of other countries that could put together some good looking top lines, Russia could have quite an explosive top line if they wanted, and Thornton and Nash and whoever else they put on that line certainly would warrant consideration considering what Thornton and Nash were able to do last year.

I stick by my statement, if they put that line out there it would be the best in the competition. Forsberg>Thornton, Naslund>Nash and this year Alfredsson has been better than Iginla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad