Sweden 7, Czech 3 FINAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Public warning
This, just started, off-topic Swedish/Russian sportmanship "discussion" (of trolling nature) will not be tolerated.

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
We ruled! And thank you Czech for not showing up in this one. The Czechs is the most nervewrecking team to meet because you never know how good they are gonna play...

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Kel Varnsen said:
No need to start this up again my friend. :)

We won fair, now, i hope that Finland really comes out flying.
Sorry, I just wanted to point out that we won the group. :)

Once again, congrats for the win. :cheers:

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
I just wanted to respond to Den. The way this tournament looks like (round robin, then playoff) Sweden absolutely deservs being in the final for the simple reason that they have played better and beaten both the swiss and the czechs. By your reasoning, the tournament should be something like, everybody meets everybody, and then the ones that finish 1 och 2 gets to play in the final. But as it is now, the preliminary rounds means nothing other than deciding which opponent you will face in the quarter and if you are going to be home or away team. So Sweden deservs being there as any other country that manage to get there, wether or not you loose some games in the group stage.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Top to bottom, Swedes were better.

Czech secondary scoring is recovering from injuries somewhere in NJ, OTT and NYR... Or just sitting somewhere in NY.
The #1 goalie is recovering in Ottawa.
And Hamr wasn't even picked for the original roster.
They're also the worst team made of NHL players at faceoffs I've ever seen.
Size worked against them too, they couldn't get the puck off the boards. Soft or not, Vyborny, Straka, Olesz, Erat... And even defensemen like Frank Kaberle and Zidlicky will not outmuscle guys like Sundin, Forsberg, Samuelsson, etc... off the puck.

With both teams healthy, I'd still give a very slight edge to Sweden.
As it was, it was never gonna be close. Good game by the Swedes, they did themselves proud, but they were as good as the Czechs were bad.

PS: to my dissapointment, the best Czech in the tournament prior to this game (IMO), Pavel Kubina, had an AWFUL game. It was painful to watch him.

PPS: I said it in the GDT... Czech poor, soft D aside... Axelsson and Alfredsson were doing some of best forechecking I've ever seen. Ever. :bow:

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
From what i understand some people dislike the fact that the Swedish coach said that, if given the choice, he would prefer to face the Swiss team in the quarters rather then the likes of Finland, Czech Rep or Canada. Nothing strange about that and I think all them teams took it easy in the last game of the gruop stage. BÃ…G was just honest about it.

I would prefer Finland in the final. Think Team Russia has more speed and that will be hard for our defence (like we saw vs Russia in that 0-5 game) to cope with. Finland are superb this tourney and have impressed me a lot. But reckon we have a better chance against them. An all nordic final would be played with a great deal of emotion and even the Americans and Canadians could probably enjoy it since there would be a lot of hitting.

Great to se Kronvall back in the line-up. Imho he, Sundin and the Gothenbourg pairing of Axel/Alfie were best on the team today.

Goldark

Jun 5, 2002
Ann Arbor
www.
Congrats to the Redwings...err...I mean Sweden!

Rooting on Lidstrom, Kronwall, Samuelsson, Holmstrom, and Zetterberg to get that gold!

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
I think all of our guys were solid in the defense..not much to complain about, I was really impressed by Kronwall, man he will be our next Lidström =))

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Really strong by Lundqvist to bounce back after that soft goal.

I finally we'll killed the myth that Sundin and Forsberg can't play together, Forsberg was awesome today.

Goals from seven different players as well, this was a really team effort.

Nacho

Special
Aug 8, 2005
Goldark said:
Congrats to the Redwings...err...I mean Sweden!

Rooting on Lidstrom, Kronwall, Samuelsson, Holmstrom, and Zetterberg to get that gold!

Umm, okej... :confused: Axelsson, Alfredsson, Modin, Sedins, Sundin, Forsberg, Lundqvist...

Waseda

Feb 22, 2006
Sweden
I read the original Sweden - Czech thread from start to finish and man, the Russian posters are some serious crybabies. "Czech sucks, they are playing awful!!!" one guy says and in some posts later he says "Has Forsberg done anything in the game ?" which proved that he didn't even see the match. Czech was far from awful in this match. Sweden FINALLY! showed why they are a great team on paper. Forsberg, Sundin and all the rest. A very impressive game by Sweden, now they'll get the gold. That's not only from the heart but if I was forced to place a major bet, that's where my money would be. If the Swedish star players are playing to their best of their ability, the team will be very difficult to beat. Forsberg definetly showed why is deserving of all the praises he gets.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Finally we had some chemistry on first line, those first shifts in the game was amazing.

Also the Sedins played alot better, biggest shock that it was with J.Jönsson. Gotta say that he has played better than I thought he would in this tournament.

SChan*

Waseda said:
I read the original Sweden - Czech thread from start to finish and man, the Russian posters are some serious crybabies.

that's why I hope finland wins over russia. I mean, when you win 7-3 in a semi-final you deserve the final :yo:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Really strong by Lundqvist to bounce back after that soft goal.

I finally we'll killed the myth that Sundin and Forsberg can't play together, Forsberg was awesome today.

Goals from seven different players as well, this was a really team effort.
And the myth that Sweden's goaltending could choke a win away. You've got to be excited for the Oly's if you're a Red Wings and Rangers fan.

Hoping, praying for a Finland-Sweden final

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I noticed someone ripping Tommy Salo in the GDT :shakehead and I feel I have to stand up and defend the guy.

How many remember that it was Tommy's amazing save that won Sweden the gold medal in 94. But he didn't earn a stamp for that, although he would have deserved it just as much as Foppa.

And in the 98 worlds he posted 3 shutouts against finalist finland. Friggin 3 shutouts!! Two of them in the finals, and remember Sweden only scored two goals in those 3 games, only one in the two finals. I think it's pretty safe to say he singlehandedly won the gold that year.

And how many remember what he did in the Belarus game in 02. Tommy was the one who kept the game close till the end with countless spectacular saves. :teach:
He made one mistake and took all the blame. :shakehead

No wonder he never was himself again after taking all that crap from the media and fans. He's only a human being, and humans make mistakes.

This year he has showed everybody he still has it in the Elitserien :clap: .

Sorry for being off topic. :)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
That game was boring , i don't know what went wrong maybe the poor goaltending? I've said Sweden would win because they use the regular jerseys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad