Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Oscar Moller - Par Lindholm - Joakim Lindstrom
Dick Axelsson - Rasmus Asplund - Dennis Everberg
Viktor Stalberg - Anton Lander - Linus Omark
Robert Nilsson - Joel Lundqvist - Fredrik Pettersson / Linus Klasen
Carl Grundstrom - Johan Ryno - Carl Klingberg
Johan Sundström (injured)

David Rundblad - Patrik Hersley
Staffan Kronwall - Erik Gustafsson
Magnus Nygren / Linus Hultström - Jonas Ahnelov
Daniel Rahimi - Jonas Junland

Viktor Fasth
Jonas Gustavsson
Jhonas Enroth

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
My take:

Dick Axelsson - Anton Lander - Linus Omark
Oscar Möller - Johan Sundström - Sur Prise
Carl Grundström - Kevin Stenlund - Richard Gynge
Dennis Everberg - Joel Lundqvist - Patrik Zackrisson
Rasmus Asplund - Carl Klingberg

Staffan Kronwall - Patrik Hersley
Magnus Nygren - Jonas Ahnelöv
Jonas Junland - Erik Gustafsson
Rasmus Dahlin - David Rundblad

Gustavsson / Fasth

Grundström? He's nothing more than a depth player on an SHL team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Tommernes maybe? He must be your best d-man in Europe.

And Fredrik Pettersson HAS to make the team.

Pettersson? Absolutely. Tömmernes is on paper one of out top D's but he has not performed well in international tournaments in the past, leaning towards putting him on the team but he's no lock.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lundqvist is scoring quite a lot in the CHL. I think he will be on the team.

CHL is not Olympics. CHL is just pre-season. Lundqvist is too slow, what does he bring to the table that Sjögren do not?

My take:

Dick Axelsson - Anton Lander - Linus Omark
Oscar Möller - Johan Sundström - Sur Prise
Carl Grundström - Kevin Stenlund - Richard Gynge
Dennis Everberg - Joel Lundqvist - Patrik Zackrisson
Rasmus Asplund - Carl Klingberg

Staffan Kronwall - Patrik Hersley
Magnus Nygren - Jonas Ahnelöv
Jonas Junland - Erik Gustafsson
Rasmus Dahlin - David Rundblad

Gustavsson / Fasth

Axelsson in full shape could be a good option for the team, yes.

Who is Sur Prise?

I dont think Grundström, Dahlin, Asplund and Stenlund will make it. The age factor.

Zackrisson? :rant:

Nygren is a good player, but that racist-scandal will not be forgiven.

Tommernes maybe? He must be your best d-man in Europe.

And Fredrik Pettersson HAS to make the team.

I dont think so, we have Hersley, Rundblad etc.

I like Pettersson, but why do he "HAS to make the team"?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
CHL is not Olympics. CHL is just pre-season. Lundqvist is too slow, what does he bring to the table that Sjögren do not?

Axelsson in full shape could be a good option for the team, yes.

Who is Sur Prise?

I dont think Grundström, Dahlin, Asplund and Stenlund will make it. The age factor.

Zackrisson? :rant:

Nygren is a good player, but that racist-scandal will not be forgiven.

I agree that Lundqvist is slow, but he is a good versatile player, strong and smart and with a accurate shot when he got time to shoot, that makes up for it imo. He is btw a world champion, in a WC that contained a whole lot more talented players that this pseudo tournament the Olympics will.

With that said, upcoming season will decide whos going or not.

Last edited:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland

Rundblad is a decent player but nothing to write home about and last year he was a turnover machine. Tommernes on the other hand seems more trustworthy.

Pettersson is a goal scorer and he'd be a huge asset on the PP, with a quick release. Right now he seems to be a in a good shape and I feel like he has that winning mentality, making him a lock in my opinion.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I can't be excited over Lindström and Nilsson making themselves available for this. I can't get over that it'll be a second tier event, in sole level of competition below the WCH.

I like the EHT, but that's because in that context it makes sense to have players of this calibre play and you get to see some new talent. Prestige is not enough on its own here, product on the ice matters. It's like winning Wimbledon when no ATP players take part. Great, here's your award but you're still only the 150th best player in the world.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I can't be excited over Lindström and Nilsson making themselves available for this. I can't get over that it'll be a second tier event, in sole level of competition below the WCH.

I like the EHT, but that's because in that context it makes sense to have players of this calibre play and you get to see some new talent. Prestige is not enough on its own here, product on the ice matters. It's like winning Wimbledon when no ATP players take part. Great, here's your award but you're still only the 150th best player in the world.

This Olympics will be like a EHT-tournament, but its not really about that, its about the tournament itself, olympics is olympics no matter what.

Robert Nilsson:

– OS är för mig stort. Vill pÃ¥stÃ¥ att det är fyra gÃ¥nger större än VM och lika stort som Stanley Cup. Tidigare har man kanske inte haft nÃ¥gon möjlighet att vara med eftersom platserna varit vikta för de bästa NHL-spelarna. Men nu är det annorlunda. Jag är grymt taggad att vara med, säger Robert Nilsson

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/andrade-sig-om-os-tack-vare-popovic/

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
This Olympics will be like a EHT-tournament, but its not really about that, its about the tournament itself, olympics is olympics no matter what.

Robert Nilsson:

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/andrade-sig-om-os-tack-vare-popovic/

Sure it's the olympics, but the mens hockey tournament will be worth significantly less than the soccer tournament for men is nowadays, which is not really all that much to begin with. Essentially this tournament is rendered useless in the eyes of the public without the NHL-players.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Robert Nilsson?! Is he still playing hockey. This tournament sucks.

I would only watch it if Gronborg selects some young talents, but knowing him he wont do that. 30+ washed up players tournament, ugh.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Robert Nilsson?! Is he still playing hockey. This tournament sucks.

I would only watch it if Gronborg selects some young talents, but knowing him he wont do that. 30+ washed up players tournament, ugh.

Nilsson, Axelsson, Pettersson, Kronwall, Hersley, Omark and Lindström on their toes already! :)

Look at the team stats for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl in KHL and try to explain Kronwalls numbers!?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...id=KHL&pos=&leagueteam=191&teamname=Lokomotiv Yaroslavl&nation=&nationname=&age=&prospects=

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Complaining about Lundqvist being slow, but then penciling in Mattias Sjogren instead.... wut

Sjogren was too slow for the AHL. You can't harp on Lundqvist's speed if you're going to pump Sjogren's tires.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Daniel Rahimi has been a beast so far in SHL. If he keeps playing like this he should be on the team.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sure it's the olympics, but the mens hockey tournament will be worth significantly less than the soccer tournament for men is nowadays, which is not really all that much to begin with. Essentially this tournament is rendered useless in the eyes of the public without the NHL-players.

The public will not care that much about missing NHL players, just like it didn't care in Lillehammer. Olympic football is not interesting because there are many better international tournaments some of which are played almost simultaneously, in hockey that is not the case.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
The public will not care that much about missing NHL players, just like it didn't care in Lillehammer. Olympic football is not interesting because there are many better international tournaments some of which are played almost simultaneously, in hockey that is not the case.
lillehammer was different though. They had top NHL prospects playing. (Forsberg and Kariya in particular)

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The team to Karjala will be announced in 2 weeks or something.

Would like to see:

Hellberg
Karlsson

Högström - Hersley
Kronwall - Nygren
Junland - Rahimi

R.Nilsson - Engqvist - Lindström
Omark - Lander - Stålberg
Everberg - Norman - F.Pettersson
Axelsson - Asplund - Nygård

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Normally this time of the year roster threads for the olympics would be blowing up, this year instead of Nicklas Bäckström and Erik Karlsson we have Joakim Lindström and Patrik Hersley, god this is so f***ing depressing, especially when the news papers try to hype it up.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Normally this time of the year roster threads for the olympics would be blowing up, this year instead of Nicklas Bäckström and Erik Karlsson we have Joakim Lindström and Patrik Hersley, god this is so ****ing depressing, especially when the news papers try to hype it up.

Yeah but Grönborg would blow it up anyway. Hörnqvist, Hagelin, Landeskog, Sedins, Hjalmarsson, Kruger, Kronwall would all be on the roster and it would end with a disaster. Thats how Swedish coaches are, conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad