SWE fans feel ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verbal Kint*

RallyKiller said:
If the swedes lose to the swiss after this I think it would be kind of humiliating..
Where's Tommy Salo when you need him?

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Caz said:
Question:
It could happen SWE needs to lose against SVK to get SUI in the QF.
Let's say team SWE trails 2-1 in the end. How important would it be to
equalize?

BÃ…G:
Well, we shouldn't.

It's a fragment. It's not a complete sentence.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Chimp said:
B-Ã… about all this crap:
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1705&a=523400&previousRenderType=6

I don't have the energy to translate it, but it basically says that B-Ã… doesn't feel there is anything to regret saying, since he didn't say that much that wasn't obvious.
*B-Ã… wished on sunday Switzerland would be the team to meet in the QF. The whole hockeyworld they are the weakest team on paper. It was the obvious answer.
*To choose between Canada or Czech Republic would be like choosing between plague or colera(?).

BÃ…G in an interview for Swedish Radio:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport...,781950,00.html

Question:
equalize?

BÃ…G:
Well, we shouldn't.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
I can understand giving a game off to your stars once the PO has been secured, taking it a bit easy, experimenting in relatively meaningless games.

A case where you throw a game to pick your opponent is very much different from this. There is something just distasteful and wrong about a coach coming out and saying this, and then the team appearing to roll over.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
rananda said:
the best way to fix this would be to have the top 3 teams in each group advance, rather than the top 4. then top team in each group gets a bye into the semis. then there is going to be much more incentive to give it all in the final games of the preliminary round, and the preliminary round becomes very meaninful indeed.

this way, we would have the cze and us out already. can-cze would have been a crazy game today, and they would pay the price for both losing to switzerland.
sure - even that would be an improvement -

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Caz said:
Yes he did. In a live interview to Swedish Radio.
Word-by-word "misquoted crap":

-------

BÃ…G in an interview for Swedish Radio:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport...,781950,00.html

Question:
equalize?

BÃ…G:
Well, we shouldn't. Well, uh, we'll see what it looks like. It's a da*mn difficult
situation we can get into then. That's for granted. Actually I believe in a tie...
there's no problem. We can live with that. We try to practice things like that.
Practise 6-to-5 in a situation like that. Because with a tie I think we'll still get
to play the SUI.

Question:
It would be even worse if we have a lead with a couple of minutes to go and
the SVK don't show any interest of winning. What do you do then? That's the
next problem. Will the message be "Guys, don't win"?

BÃ…G:
Uh, I don't know what to say right now. Right now it feels like 0-0 would be
a nice result.
So, where is the "I want to lose" crap? All he said was that he wanted a draw. In football, asking for a draw and no injuries before the game in a meaningless game is common. In hockey I guess you can't for some reason I don't know of.

By stating he wanted a draw, he joked about the game being meaningless. By saying "Well, we shouldn't", he was obviously JOKING. But some people don't have humour, which B-Ã… is aware of now.

mytor4*

Chimp said:
And then I will show equal disrespect to Finland, Russia and Slovakia. They played their backup goalies and clearly didn't go 100% today.

we don't give a damm what you do.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
GagsIsDaMan said:
I for one as a non Swede say, don't believe the hype.

Hell a week ago the western media was about to crucify Gretzky because of mis- information. Untill it's proven that the coach had executed a plan to throw the game, the Swedes are not guity of anything. The combination of a tough schedule and Slovakia playing well led to the Swedish loss.

Do you guys think that some of the best hockey players in the world (Foresberg, Sundin, Alfreddson, just to name a few) would intentionally throw a game...I highly doubt it.

Thank you, finally some sense. Why can't you people understand the importance of coaching smart? Why on earth should Sweden play a hard game, the day before Quarter finals, when they had absolutely NOTHING to gain from it? Why? Why make it "easier" for another team, that in fact, hasn't earned it? Sweden finished 3rd in its group. That is not "good". What was good was that the Swiss (an surprise) had taken the 2nd seed in the other group. Had the Swiss, as expected, been the 4th seed, no one would've blamed Slovakia for taking it easy in this final game when they knew they had points enough. Then I'd se the point for Sweden to actually try and give it all (even if it'd be unwise). If Team Sweden figured being 3rd seed was good enough, what's wrong with it, except that the audience might see a soft game? Should a team in an imporant competition do everything it can to make the road harder? :confused:

Sportsmanship an issue? Well, in every situation you can't be altruistic if you want to win. Would Canada play EASY in the QFs to honour Sweden's valiant fight against Slovakia? I don't think so. Canada is the worst opponent. The Swiss are tough as well. The coaches rather take the chance with Switzerland than Canada.

Bottom line: IT WAS TEAMS IN THE OTHER GROUP THAT MADE THIS SCENARIO HAPPEN BY NOT PUTTING SWITZERLAND ON THE 4TH SEED AS SCRIPTED! :rant:

Man, the hypocrisy!

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Chimp said:
So, where is the "I want to lose" crap? All he said was that he wanted a draw. In football, asking for a draw and no injuries before the game in a meaningless game is common. In hockey I guess you can't for some reason I don't know of.

By stating he wanted a draw, he joked about the game being meaningless.

He answers the question about the necessity of trying to equalize by saying "We should not." Normally if you have to equalize, you're team is trailing.

Not wanting to equalize = wanting to lose.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Caz said:
Go ahead and read the whole translation. Or check with SR.

I did. The point is that a fragment is useless as evidence, since the sentence is incomplete. We don't know what it is that "We shouldn't". It may have been "We shouldn't throw the game". People utters fragmentary sentences all the time before they change the answer; using the fragment as an answer to a specific question is thus not fair.

Rico__Persson*

I would have done the same. I can't believe the outcry. Simple equation...play Canada or play Switzerland. Easy choice.

As a team and as a coach your job is to get your team as far as possible. Throwing this game was simply doing that. Now, Sweden will only have two tough games needed to win the gold, where the other teams involved have 3 battles to win.

It's just a headup play. Not like it hasn't been done before.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Leo Naphta said:
I did. The point is that a fragment is useless as evidence, since the sentence is incomplete. We don't know what it is that "We shouldn't". It may have been "We shouldn't throw the game". People utters fragmentary sentences all the time before they change the answer; using the fragment as an answer to a specific question is thus not fair.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Q:Should we try to equalize?
A: We shouldn't.

GO BÃ…G GO :handclap: :handclap:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Lionel Hutz said:
I can understand giving a game off to your stars once the PO has been secured, taking it a bit easy, experimenting in relatively meaningless games.

A case where you throw a game to pick your opponent is very much different from this. There is something just distasteful and wrong about a coach coming out and saying this, and then the team appearing to roll over.

I don't think the coach instructed the players to do it. I do think a lot of the veteran players had a quiet agreement not to give 100%. You do what is best for the team, even if it means taking it easy to get a good QF draw.

And Slovakia didn't do much today either. Neither did Canada, Russia and Finland. Seven of the playoff teams started with their backup goalies today. Thats what you get when you have the quarterfinals the day after the last group matches.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Caz said:
He answers the question about the necessity of trying to equalize by saying "We should not." Normally if you have to equalize, you're team is trailing.

Not wanting to equalize = wanting to lose.
Huuuuuge hipocrisy. By you and all other whiners who know the obivous but get some sort of personal gain from ranting this to death, with the help of Swedish tabloids.

We all know Switzerland is the weakest team on paper
We all knew no team would give 100% today
We all knew no team really cared about the result today, only focusing on tomorrow

Screw you. You can rant all you want. I won't care. If you still want to accuse Sweden of cheating to your death, clean your own Finnish backyard.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Chimp said:
Huuuuuge hipocrisy. By you and all other whiners who know the obivous but get some sort of personal gain from ranting this to death , with the help of Swedish tabloids.

We all know Switzerland is the weakest team on paper
We all knew no team would give 100% today
We all knew no team really cared about the result today, only focusing on tomorrow

Screw you. You can rant all you want. I won't care.

Whiners?
I'd say team SWE made themselves whiners by their actions.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
"None of the teams wasted energy. We all have a match tomorrow to think about" Marian Hossa.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Caz -> The real sinner is the man who threw the first stone.

But that isn't just to Caz. All Canadians ranting in here for example: have the Canadian team EVER played a game for real in round robin?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
MOGiLNY said:
I've always supported Sweden in international competition and a lot of my favourite players are Swedish (Sundin, Forsberg, Naslund, Steen, Lundqvist etc) but this is a disgrace.

Common I just finnished watching Russias game. 4 players on team russia came to play tonight. USA didn't exactly show up. Earlier I saw Finland just put the skates out to beat Germany.

ryz said:
This is a disgrace. If the Canadian team ever pulled this I would be devatstated. Classless and spineless.

Hmm it wasn't anything worse then Canadians loss against Swizerland... Tell me that Canada wouldn't have won that game if it was a QF? I can gaurantee you that they would. So in the end its the exact same thing. Canada didn't play 100% from the start in that game, why would they? Why should Sweden have brought their A game tonight when the most important thing was to save energy for tomorrow???

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
There was no waste of energy, but no effort on the Swedes part either. They got outshot 31-17, no matter how hard you play, a team as good as Sweden obviously wasn't trying if they get outshot by that margin.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Caz said:
Bengt-Åke – ord för ord
translates
BÃ…G - word-by-word

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,781950,00.html

Please read "Till SR i direktsändning" (To SR live).
Quite accurate if it says word-by-word, no?

First of all. The first sentence is a fragment. It bears repeating. He then answers the question by saying that Sweden SHOULD try and equalize. Surely you must be able to read your own translation to the question if Sweden should equalize:

"Actually I believe in a tie...
there's no problem. We can live with that. We try to practice things like that.
Practise 6-to-5 in a situation like that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->